I found Out That My cats is Lactose and Tolerate! Any 1 else have this problem?

rachaelkn2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Garfield is Lactose and Tolerate... and I got him that new Friskies Lactose Free food and it's helping! I just never knew that cats could be lactose and tolerate!!

babybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You mean lactose intolerant? I think that most cats are actually lactose intolerant but I might be wrong. My cat never had problems but my sisters cats did, it probably depends on the cat too.

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You mean lactose intolerant? All Siamese are lactose intolerant tho YY loves milk (she will sneak to get it in my cereal bowl if I am not careful). I do get her some kitty milk sometimes tho - it is lactose free. Many cats do not do well with milk - amazingly enough. I shudder to think how I thought I was doing such a great thing when I gave our kitties bowls of milk when I was a child. Milk and cats went together - another myth bites the dust!

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CyberKitten

You mean lactose intolerant? All Siamese are lactose intolerant tho YY loves milk (she will sneak to get it in my cereal bowl if I am not careful). I do get her some kitty milk sometimes tho - it is lactose free. Many cats do not do well with milk - amazingly enough. I shudder to think how I thought I was doing such a great thing when I gave our kitties bowls of milk when I was a child. Milk and cats went together - another myth bites the dust!
I alwasy gave my cats milk when I was a child as well. They did just fine and haven't any problems with it, which obviously means not all cats are lactose intolerant.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CyberKitten

does anyone know if mommy cat milk has lactose?? I have one who can and one who cant handle cows milk... I myself cant handle casien in cows milk

random

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lactose intolerance is normal in animals. Normally, once an animal is weaned, they no longer ingest milk as a part of their diet. Thus, they lack the enzymes to break down lactose later on.

It's we humans that are the oddballs. Instead of discontinuing our milk consumption after weaning, we purposely milk other animals and continue to ingest it. Some cultures (Asians for example) that do not regularly eat dairy products have high percentages of lactose intolerance.

I can barely tolerate large amounts of milk, and I definitely don't give it to my pets.

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some cats tolerate cows milk fine, but many do not. I suspect it is much like humans, the older the person/cat, the more likely they are to be lactose intolerant. One of the problems of aging, I guess. I didn't become lactose intolerant until I was in my 50s. One of my sisters is also lactose intolerant, the other four siblings are not. Many times a person who is lactose intolerant can handle a small amount, say one-fourth cup of milk, without problems and only experience symptoms with large amounts. The same is likely to be true with cats. They might be able to handle a tablespoon or two as a special treat, but not a whole dish. It isn't a balanced food for them, so you wouldn't want to give them too much anyway.

I really wasn't aware that some of the "regular" cat foods contained lactose, though. Interesting.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twofatcats

I really wasn't aware that some of the "regular" cat foods contained lactose, though. Interesting.
Me neither. I have never risked giving any of my cats normal milk, they only get cat milk, but it is actually a food source not a drink for them, so should only be given in moderation.

I actually bought some lactose reduced human milk for my cat, but then needed some milk and pinched it for me!! It is a lot sweeter than normal milk.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you guys think about it for a minute, milk is the only liquid that we drink, when it comes back out that is a solid. It used to be okay for kitties, long ago. But that was before man started adding to what nature already gave us, trying to make people healthier in the process. It causes stomach upset and constipation in most kitties.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissy, that is a horrible thought! I didn't know that it was all the additives that we put into the milk that makes it bad for cats.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is normally the lactose in cows milk that cats are intolerant of, it is a natural sugar found in milk. Cat milk is lactose reduced for them. It is common for humans to be intolerant too, but if children are intolerant they can grow out of it (i had a milk allergy as a baby, i can tolerate it now).

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
one of my cats is severely lactose intolerant. sometimes i let him lick out the bowl after i have my granola with organic milk on it. he seems to be like me, seems to tolerate the organic milk a little better (i can't digest regular milk, but the organic milk is ok with my system for some reason). he doesn't get it often though, cause i don't want him to get an upset tummy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rachaelkn2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyBee

You mean lactose intolerant? I think that most cats are actually lactose intolerant but I might be wrong. My cat never had problems but my sisters cats did, it probably depends on the cat too.
Yes that's what I mean
... Well I never give my cat milk or any dairy products...it was something in his cat food that was making him sick... and then we found that lactose free cat food and it worked! Thanks everyone for the replies!

catguy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
if you feed your cats raw milk they wont have any problems, same with humans. People and animals who are lactose intolerent are only so because of the pasturization and homoginizing that is done to milk. Quality raw milk is expensive, but if you conisider drinking less of a healthier milk over more of an unhealthy milk, the costs even out. I buy from here:

http://www.organicpastures.com/

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catguy

if you feed your cats raw milk they wont have any problems, same with humans. People and animals who are lactose intolerent are only so because of the pasturization and homoginizing that is done to milk. Quality raw milk is expensive, but if you conisider drinking less of a healthier milk over more of an unhealthy milk, the costs even out. I buy from here:

http://www.organicpastures.com/
I didn't know that they sold unpasturized milk anymore!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I've been told several times by different vets that most, if not all, cats suffer from some amount of lactose intolerance. Every once in awhile, Oliver will sneek a lick or two from my cereal bowl and it results in quite a stinky poop (but it's still solid). Sometimes, I'll buy him Lactaid which is lactose free milk, but I'm not surprised that your cat is lactose intolerant

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hissy is so right. They add so much stuff to our foods that it's a wonder we aren't "intolerant" of everything.

Check our your ice cream ingredients sometime - not much chance of being lactose intolerant to guar gum and some of the other ingredients in there.

I only buy Haagen Daas ice cream - only one I can find that has NO PRESERVATIVES. It's about as natural as the home made ice cream we had on the farm. Tastes as good as too.