I found my missing cat after a month need advice for getting her back into the house.

WhiteRice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been gone for a about a month. Today I found her. She is way skinnier then when she left and a lot more skiddish. I want to bring her back into the house, but the problem is I have two other cats and I worry that she might have picked up a disease that can spread. We have her in staying in the garage right now and she has food, water, litter, and a bed, but she keeps crying and it's obvious she wants to come in. What should I look out for? How long should I keep her in "quarantine" till I know its safe for her to be around my other cats.

BTW I know the best thing to do is to take her to a vet, but I'm not currently working and I don't think I can convince my parents to pay for a vet. So advice that isn't just "take her to the vet" is most appreciated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are/were all of your cats vaccinated? Do you have a separate room that she can stay in, away from the other cats, until such time you can afford to have her checked out by a vet?

How long she needs to be quarantined would all depend on what she could have picked up while gone. Your chances of it being anything too serious is diminished if all of these cats have had up to date vaccinations.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has been gone for a about a month. Today I found her. She is way skinnier then when she left and a lot more skiddish. I want to bring her back into the house, but the problem is I have two other cats and I worry that she might have picked up a disease that can spread. We have her in staying in the garage right now and she has food, water, litter, and a bed, but she keeps crying and it's obvious she wants to come in. What should I look out for? How long should I keep her in "quarantine" till I know its safe for her to be around my other cats.

BTW I know the best thing to do is to take her to a vet, but I'm not currently working and I don't think I can convince my parents to pay for a vet. So advice that isn't just "take her to the vet" is most appreciated.
Happy you got your baby back!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WhiteRice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All my cats have had vaccinations in the past, but they aren't up to date.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It shouldn't cost you anything to call the vet and ask about the vaccination time lines, and what to look for with your cat that has come back after a month. At least that way you would know, to some degree, what you are up against.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WhiteRice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are your other cats adults? Does this cat show any signs of illness?
The other cats are about two or three years old. She is around 7. She doesn't look any different aside from her being thinner.

Also is there a chance I might transmit any diseases she potentially has to the other cats? And what about feeding her? Should I put her back on a feeding schedule or give her as much food as she wants?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can wash your hands in between. I personally would not go the full scale change your clothes and shoes route, but I suppose you could.

I would not allow her to eat all she wants, unless it is within reason, but you could start with smaller amounts and feed more frequently at first. You can gradually get her back on a schedule as time passes. You want to let her stomach adjust to getting more food than what it would seem she got while she was on her own.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can give her unflavored pedialyte to restore electrolyte imbalance to help prevent "refeeding syndrome". The Spanish expression "poco y poco" (little by little) is key here. Try adding a high protein, high fat meat source - boiled chicken or hamburger with a little pink salt (aka real salt, himalayan salt, mineral block) added or try canned kitten food. Frequent but small meals.
Are there many ferals in your area? Or raccoons or birds? Exposure to wildlife can increase the risk of odd diseases.
How to Nurse a Starving Cat Back to Being Healthy | Pet Keen
Library
https://www.catsonbroadwayhospital.com/refeeding-syndrome/

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is something called refeeding syndrome when a starved cat gets too much food. So, stick with the cat food you fed before and give frequent small meals. Canned food is best. But, make sure it is cat food, as it needs to be nutritionally balanced.

As for transmitting anything to your cats, fleas you could pass from her to them. If it was me, I would use the regular Revolution on her. It kills ear mites as well.

viruses can be transmitted cat to cat or cat to person to cat. But to rule them out, you would have to see a vet and test, then test in 3 months. That is an awful long time.

Provided no fleas, or treated, no nasal discharge, no sneezing or coughing, I wokk I’llld let her inside.You may need to start all over with introducing them.