I finally found mama's cat kittens

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, i am currently working at an industrial site whereby there is a lot of cars but not many humans. I do have a few cats that i have been feeding routinely and one was so accustomed that he comes to our office during office hours and sleep. I even adopted one home because when she got sick i got so heartbroken about leaving her alone in office that i brought her home. Few months ago, we found out mama cat was pregnant as her nipples were enlarging and knew she would have her litter somewhere (this is not her first litter, she brought her other kids to us last time)...but being in an industrial area, it's not easy to find the cats unless they appear by themselves.

Few weeks ago, she gave birth and reappeared...by herself. Story cut short, i don't see any kittens whenever she appear so i'm guessing they are too young to follow. But finally a few days ago, she finally appeared with her not 1 but 4 kittens and they were SO CUTE but they were SO weary of me. I would like to feed them but they would not even let me to get close and it's very difficult for me to move around with grass...cars...cardboards blocking my way. I even saw them feeding on the dead bird on the ground and got really disgusted.. I really would like to feed them but how the hell do i go about doing it?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Traveil,

I'm not sure where you are located, are you in a country/city that has good No Kill shelters? The absolute best thing you could do for this family is to trap them all, get the mother spayed and released back in the same spot and get her kittens into a shelter to be adopted. At four weeks old they are at the perfect age to be socialized, and they won't do too badly if separated from Mum. (Although with indoor/domestic cats they should stay together until at least 12 weeks.)

Set up a feeding spot and feed in the same place at the same times every day. The cat's will soon get used to the schedule. You can use a drop trap if you want to get the whole family together. When you choose a place to feed them think about where you can set up a trap. It needs to be in a quieter area with space for the trap to fall down flat.

This video will give you some ideas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi i'm so sorry i am unable to call the animal shelter. I had a stray cat which it was severely injured last time, thought of all the possible ways to help it and called the animal shelter as my last resort...and they told me to send it to vet myself instead of sending him there. I was so disappointed in the response they gave and i went to vet myself...paying with my own bill. Till date, whenever my strays are in bad condition...i send them to vet myself, i gave up on animal shelters.

Anyways, I placed food for them in a corner...but it seems like ants were getting to the food faster than seeing them appearing and eating it. How do i go about feeding them then? I think i am raising ants here instead. lols.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Anyways, I placed food for them in a corner...but it seems like ants were getting to the food faster than seeing them appearing and eating it. How do i go about feeding them then? I think i am raising ants here instead.
Get a shallow tray to stand the cat food bowls in. Fill the tray with water, make sure the bowls aren't touching the sides of the tray. Ants can't swim, so that will keep them out of the food.

Are you able to get any of these cats spayed and neutered? They bred very quickly if you feed them without getting them fixed. I started feeding two and had 30 within a year. :ohwell: