1) Female, about 7 yrs old, ear tipped, INJURED and limping
2) She's 3kg, local breed
3) Timid, stays away from trouble

What i will do to her:
1) Confine her in my room for at least a month and slowly catify the house
2) Definitely give her a bath when she has recovered

Questions for all :
1) What should i prepare?
2) During the day when i am working, will the cat feel lonely?
3) Does she needs to get vaccinated?
4) Will she meow in my room the whole night? The moment my neighbours complain which will be the moment she will get banished forever as my country doesn't allow cats in apartments. (It's illegal)
5) How many times should i feed her? Wet? Or dry?
6) Do i need to cover my bedsheet?
7) Will she like being indoors for the rest of her life?..

Many other questions i haven't thought of...

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for wanting to help with sweet kitty. First step is a vet check. She should be vaccinated as well as given a flea treatment and de worming. Most likely she will have worms and possible fleas.

She will need a room of her own that is cat proofed. This means if there is a bed in the room, either lay it flat on the floor, pick it up or be sure to block it really well. Under the bed is the first place a cat will go and it's so hard to get them out. Also block under and behind all large furniture and keep closet doors closed. Secure window treatments like blinds. Watch for cords and drapes. Keep windows closed. Be sure you have 2 litter boxes that are NOT near her food. She may urinate or poop on the floor at first. You can then just sop it up and bury some of the paper towel in the litter. This will attract her to the box.

She will learn to adjust being an inside only kitty, but it will take time. At first she may throw herself against the window trying to get out. She may yowl and howl. It all just depends. Some cats are very frightened and stay very quiet. There is really no predicting what she will do.

I would place an old shower curtain or tarp over the bed when you are not with her. She very well might pee or poop on it.

Most cats will adjust to inside only living. She will need to enrich her life with toys, scratching posts and if finances are ok then a nice cat tree to look outside.

Just don't panic at first. It can take them a week or so to settle. As I said, it all just depends. I have brought in some feral cats that yowl and howl for a week and others that think this is the best life ever and settle in quickly.

You can play soft music for her when you are not there. Also feliway plug ins can help.

At first I would free feed her dry and then offer wet food at least 2x a day. Wet food is best, but she will be ok with some dry food too. Be sure to have fresh water available too.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might want to get a box or a cat crate set up with the door off and a cozy bath mat or towel inside for her to retreat to in your bedroom as well.

Feral Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well congradulations on your new fur kid!
Are you going to catch the cat in a trap, or does this cat let you pick her up?
Best of luck to both of you !!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, she is injured and currently I have confined her inside my office’s spare room. I decided to bring her home because I can take care of her during the weekends and also I don’t want her to get into any other trouble which will make me worry sick. The only problem is getting her into the cage because she is injured and doesn’t want to be touched because she is in pain. And will the visit to the vet to the vet stress her even more? I am scared she will aggravate her injuries. If vaccination can do later when she has fully recovered that’d good.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is injured and in pain, take her to the vet ASAP. A trip to the vet is not going to be more stressful for her than being in pain. Maybe she could recover in your bedroom so she can be near you as much as possible when you're at home? She sounds more like a stray than a feral cat, who will likely adjust to live indoors fairly quickly. But the very first thing you should do is take her to a vet.

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she is injured and in pain, take her to the vet ASAP. A trip to the vet is not going to be more stressful for her than being in pain. Maybe she could recover in your bedroom so she can be near you as much as possible when you're at home? She sounds more like a stray than a feral cat, who will likely adjust to live indoors fairly quickly. But the very first thing you should do is take her to a vet.
Hi, she has already been to the vet the day I saw her limping. She’s definitely a stray as she really likes people...we do keep her indoors whenever we get to work and she goes out when we are off from work. :) I am scared of bringing her to the vet again as I don’t want to touch her impacted area. Should I get her vaccinated after her recovery or not?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She really needs to get to the vet. The vet will help you determine when is the best time for vaccines. Yet she does need them. She will be ok after the vet visit. Just put a cage or carrier out and put her food inside. See if you can start to feed her there. Yet she really needs to get to the vet sooner than later.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are taking her home! I think she will adjust well since she is already used to being inside some of the time.
If you feel comfortable disclosing it, what country do you live in? I am surprised to hear that some countries don't allow pets in apartments.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, she has already been to the vet the day I saw her limping. She’s definitely a stray as she really likes people...we do keep her indoors whenever we get to work and she goes out when we are off from work. :) I am scared of bringing her to the vet again as I don’t want to touch her impacted area. Should I get her vaccinated after her recovery or not?
What did the vet say? If you already took her to be examined then the vet should have given you some advice on what to do until she recovers.

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are taking her home! I think she will adjust well since she is already used to being inside some of the time.
If you feel comfortable disclosing it, what country do you live in? I am surprised to hear that some countries don't allow pets in apartments.
Hey dahlia, i live in Singapore. The government doesn't allow cats in apartments as they are scared of cats yowling and disturbing the neighbors. As long as the neighbors don't lodge a complaint to the police, the cat can stay "hidden" as long as she can. Even dogs kept in apartments has to be of a certain breed and has to be registered (which i think many owners didn't do). IF that actually happens, i can call the cat/dog a forever goodbye.. :( So do you think my stray cat will yowl non stop at night?

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What did the vet say? If you already took her to be examined then the vet should have given you some advice on what to do until she recovers.
I'm going to bring her back during the weekends, so tomorrow i'll set the date with the vet and consult them with everything. I'll keep you all updated :)

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, after 3 agonising hours of picking her up from the office, taking to vet, and bringing her back...she’s finally home with me. It was a stressful journey but well worth it. Vet doesn’t recommend her to do vaccination now as she is running a high fever. Her left leg is swollen and they ran X-ray on her again. Her shoulder was perfectly normal which puzzles the vets. She was also tested for FIV/FELV but it was negative result. The vet has concluded it might be some sort of virus/bacteria causing it. If it’s virus, she will have to fight it off herself. If it’s bacteria, at least vets can give meds for her. For now, she’s giving anti inflammatory again but with a higher dosage. I am now hoping for the best. I will be taking her back to the vet in another 5 days. Please have good news for me... :( She’s now hiding below my bed and didn’t want to come out.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't the vet prescribe antibiotics for her, or give her an antibiotic shot? That's what most vets would do if there's even a possibility of a bacterial infection. Was she given pain meds? I hope this vet is taking the best care of her possible. You always have the option of calling the vet back and telling him or her that you want antibiotics for the cat in case there is an infection (which to be honest is what a high fever almost always indicates).

Thanks for taking care of her and giving her a home. Keep us updated!

Last edited:

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Didn't the vet prescribe antibiotics for her, or give her an antibiotic shot? That's what most vets would do if there's even a possibility of a bacterial infection. Was she given pain meds? I hope this vet is taking the best care of her possible. You always have the option of calling the vet back and telling him or her that you want antibiotics for the cat in case there is an infection (which to be honest is what a high fever almost always indicates).

Thanks for taking care of her and giving her a home. Keep us updated!
Oh yes, she was given antibiotics as well. :) The vets there helped me a lot through this journey especially since she's a stray cat. *fingers crossed* Also, what are the tips to let her like the cage more? She always meow non stop whenever she's in the cage and it stresses me a lot.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let her out of the cage. It's stressing her out, which isn't good for recovery. She's a stray not a feral, she'll be fine outside of a cage. You are doing a terrific job caring for her, she is going to love you for life.

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Let her out of the cage. It's stressing her out, which isn't good for recovery. She's a stray not a feral, she'll be fine outside of a cage. You are doing a terrific job caring for her, she is going to love you for life.
She isn’t in the cage! She’s free to roam in my room. What I meant was I have to go back to the vet days later but she doesn’t like the cage and keep meowing. What can I make her do to like the cage more?

Feral Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have to put her in a cage to transport her, cover it.
Cats calm down if they can not see anything.:zzzcat:
If it is hot, use only a light sheet.

It may become difficult to get the cat Back into a cage to take her to the doctors..... you might have to get some thick "animal-protection gloves" off of Amazon or something, to be able to get the cat back into a cage..... i don't know.
YOu are doing great things for this cat!!!!!! Good on you!!
GOOD LUCK and I am so happy for both you and the kitty to be getting a home finally! YESss!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, you meant a pet carrier. I have a small container of Feliway spray. I spray the inside of my carrier before I take any of my cats to the vet. I think it helps a little, but I think all cats hate vet trips!

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, she is getting better now. This is actually good news but she can't stop meowing at night. My sister told me that if she doesn't stop the meowing she would have to go back to the wild and i do not want that to happen. May I know what can I do to make her stop meowing at night? I feed her once when I wake up at 6am and another time when I am back from work at 7pm. It is a 85gm wet food. Should I feed her more? I let her free feed on the dry food all day. What can I make her tire out so that she won't meow at night? I do accompany her whole night in the room but afterwards ill leave her alone because I need to sleep. I think feeding actually works because she stopped meowing after I fed her another time. Thoughts? Do I feed her every time she meow endlessly?