I Feel So Terrible!

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always check around my apartment before I leave for work, but today I was running a bit late and rushing to go to the restroom (which I also check the restroom for Prince and Nikita before leaving and shutting that door), so I rushed out the door and off to work.

I was debating whether or not to go to my apartment for my initial break, I don't usually but I felt like it'd be nice. I go in, Prince comes to greet me but Nikita was nowhere in sight (usually she's at the front door as well). I look around, calling out to her, and as my heart races I open the bathroom door and there she is asleep on the rug! Oh my god, I went to the restroom before leaving and must not have realized she slipped in. I feel terrible, I can't imagine what it would have been like if I decided not to come home for a few minutes.

I gave Nikita lots of love and she's perched happily in front of the window like nothing happened at all.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My wife and I were having a quiet dinner the other night and we suddenly realized that with two Bengals and a kitten we don't ever have quiet dinners. All three had got themselves locked in our spare room, they must have been playing and knocked the door closed. All three were sound asleep. I suspect they figured we would eventually find them and set them loose. They were probably imprisoned for only an hour or so.

We finished our (now less than quiet) dinner while the three of them resumed their usual cat shenanigans.

No harm, no foul I suppose. We block the door open now.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Milly got locked in our big closet once for a few hours. I think she thought she'd hit paydirt, as normally we are compulsive about not allowing her in there. She finally decided to start meowing to let us know where she was, but not before she had discovered all of the closet's hidey holes and knocked a bunch of things off of shelves. And chewed on some shoes.
:thumbsup: :banana1:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Twice I forgot that my cat Josie was in my garage. Scrambles in as soon as I open the door. Kept thinking I won't forget, I won't forget. Went to bed and forgot. Last week I did not realize I had locked Maggie in my bedroom closet. Got up in the morning,opened the door, and found her. She used my pile of shipping trash to pee on. Better than floor.when Peaches was 5 weeks,very tiny, she unknowingly slipped in the refrigerator when I opened it. After shutting the door I immediately opened. I was always keeping an eye on her.It happens!
20170418_070141-COLLAGE.jpg

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Our poor cats have been shut in the basement, the upstairs office, the bathroom, and once poor Zoe spent the night in my car! I'd had the trunk open, getting groceries out. She must have jumped in and I didn't notice her (black cat, black upholstery and carpet). :paperbag:

I realized she wasn't around before I went to bed and we looked EVERYWHERE for her, all over the house and calling around outside the house. No Zoe.

We finally went to bed, worried to death. First thing the next morning my spouse was outside, calling for her again and noticed that the turn signal on my car was blinking. He went over to investigate and there was Zoe, curled up asleep on the back seat. She must have turned the signal on in exploring the car or trying to get out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heh, I'm glad I'm not the only one. It definitey makes you go into panic mode though.

I remember one time, I couldn't find Prince. I was playing a video game and noticed that I hadn't seen him moving around the room for a while. I started looking for him and couldn't see him at any of his usual hiding spots, and I was certain he couldn't have gone outside the apartment. After calling his name and panicking for about five minutes, I turn around and look at my bed, and there I see two little ears starting to poke out from under the comforter.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We have been having a problem integrating Olive with our two boys, but especially with Gohan. He would chase her, she growled up a storm and chaos and sleepless nights ensued. After she snagged a nail in panic one night we decided we should shut the door to her safe room so they don't surprise each other at night. So one night I went through the motions of bedtime, fed the kitties and closed the door.

The next day, as I'm sure you guessed, I couldn't find Gohan. Looked in all his spots, and realized I hadn't seen him since I shut Olive's door the night before. When I opened it up, she was resting comfortably on her cat tree and he was sitting pretty on the couch. No blood, no injuries. Made me hopeful that they will eventually work it out, although he wasted no time in running out of there! :lol2: Spent the night behind enemy lines!

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to laugh because I intentionally lock my Gypsy in her room on candlemaking days. Because I handle fragrance oils in bulk the vapors can be strong and even toxic to cats and myself. So while I am working on them I wear a respirator and lock her away from my work area where she has clean air. I don't let her out until I have aired out the house. It can take several hours but I figure its safer for her. I just make sure she has her fresh water, food bowls, and litter box, and bed to sleep on. Before I started doing that I noticed she would throw up on candlemaking days. So now I am always cautious!

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Happened to me a few months ago-same thing, was in a hurry. I have a bathroom that has doors on either end, that i keep closed when im not at home. Left for work, came back 7 hrs later and there was Honeybun sitting on the toilet. I felt horrible, she wasnt in any danger or distress but still, locked in a small bathroom for 7 hours? She got lots of pets and treats, and now i make sure shes not in there before i leave.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Milly got locked in our big closet once for a few hours.
~ Ha ... Me too ! Happened to one of my favorite cats . I still have a few of my vintage wool knit neckties in wearable condition - and a pair of shoes are now customized with extra ventilation ... :sigh:
Kitty has not held a grudge and everything is fine .

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This actually happened to my cat once. I have the type of Ikea bed that has drawers at the bottom, and he loves to run inside and literally be under the bed. Most of the times I would immediately close the drawer after use but I guess one time I didn't. I was running late to meet a friend for lunch so I closed the drawer, thinking my cat was in the living room or somewhere else. Fast forward to a couple of hours after coming home, he didn't greet me at the door like usual so I immediately started looking for him, saving my room for last. That's when I heard the softest and tiniest sound of a meow. So I called his name again, and he meowed in the same tone and volume. I opened the drawer, and he immediately popped out, rubbed up against me and then went to eat his snack I had put out before I left.

jeannecarol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mackie keeps trying to get into our closets and I'm constantly looking for him to make sure he hasn't gotten in one before I close it; often he jumps into one while I'm there looking for something and I grab him and toss him out. I'm particularly cautious because back in my single days my old Mici got into my bedroom closet right efore I went away for a weekend! The landlords downstairs used to feed her for me when I was gone and they told me this time that they couldn't find her. I found her all right; she had shredded and peed on the stack of comic books I had on the closet floor! Let's not go there again... :)

Oreo, OTOH, was an escape artist from this apartment. Every chance he'd get he'd try barreling past me and running upstairs; he was obsessed with the apartment directly above us. Going out to work in the morning was sometimes a real adventure! Chasing him up, chasing him back down, lobbing him back into the apartment, running for my bus... After we got Mackie it was even more complicated; one afternoon Oreo got out, I went after him and brought him back in, then later I asked hubby where Mackie was. "Have you tried the hallway?" I opened the door and there he was sitting on the doormat waiting. I opened wide to let him in--and out Oreo went again...

engine4154

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My late girl Bugs was always an indoor cat. One time I opened the door to look at a plane flying over, she unknowingly slipped out. I didn't notice for 5-10 minutes that she wasn't around. In a panic I ran over to the door and threw it open, there she sat. She never left the porch. After that she'd go out there (supervised) and never made any attempt to escape. Some of the semi-ferals of the time would show up now and then. She just ignored them. lol
Bugs4th-porch.jpg

Bonnie shows no interest in going outside, Clyde got out once and I didn't get him back in til around 11 at night.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a weird coincidence! I read your post yesterday morning, went about my business at home and left the house to go do a tour of the area with my friends who are currently visiting. I left home at 10am and didn’t come back until 9pm. When I got home, I couldn’t find Neige (my mom’s cat) till I heard her meow and realize she was in the kitchen! When I got in, it was a mess in there! She had knocked all the glasses that were on the counter (it’s a habit of hers, she has broken half of my mom’s belongings!), had peed on the floor, though I can’t blame her for that! And had tried to bite her way through a pouch of wet food I had left out. Poor thing! I felt so bad for locking her in there by mistake but she spent the night cuddling with me as if nothing had happened. Needless to say I will be checking in the rooms before closing the doors in the future!