I feel like I have been feeding my cat the wrong way and harmed him.

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my cat is naturally big. He’s about 12 pounds and that’s a good weight according to the vet. At one point I was feeding him 3 cans and each can is 103 calories. Ziwi Peak Brand. That lasted about a year when I brought him for a dental and said he weighed about 14 pounds and he was overweight. One vet told me to feed him 2 can and 1/3 to get him to lose weight. I was throwing away the 2/3 left because he doesn’t touch microwaved food. So wasting food and money. The dentist told me 2 cans is fine. Which is great cuz I save money and don’t waste food. It’s been a year now feeding him 2 cans 103 calories each and he lost weight and he looks completely healthy at 12.5 pounds. He hasn’t lost or gained for awhile. Now I read online the rule is 20 calories per pound. That equals about 240 calories if he’s 12 pounds. So now I realized I have been feeding him 206 calories. I feel completely guilty almost to the point where I convinced myself I been feeding him less for my own benefit since it was more convenient to use 2 cans only. I don’t know what to believe. He doesn’t look malnourished. He looks healthy and he saw the vet 3 weeks ago and had nothing to say. Said he looks great. But in my head I believe I harmed him. Not feeding him the correct amount makes me think I damaged his organs for his future life and won’t be strong. I think I will feed him two cans and get some kibble for the reamaing 40 calories. That seems best.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not follow the online rule. Some cats have high metabolism and can eat alot. Some cats do not and eat less. My cat Maggie eats almost 200 cals a day,Some times less. 9 pds 8 yrs old. Long and skinny with curvy hips,ya, she walks like a lady! Also depends on what food I give her

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's maintaining a healthy weight with the 2 cans, I wouldn't add kibble just to get to some magic number of calories. Kibble can do more harm in the long run than good in the short. Another hazard of adding kibble to his diet if he isn't eating it already, is that he may prefer it to the wet food. That may sound good to your pocket book. But it's terrible for his health over the long term. All the diseases of old age are either caused or exacerbated by a lack of moisture or an abundance of inappropriate ingredients. If he can maintain a healthy weight without dry food, stick with the two cans and re-evaluate in six to twelve months. Buy a baby scale and weigh him at home if you're concerned that he isn't maintaining his weight.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats by how they look and have never counted calories. Mine are all good eaters, not fussy and finish every meal. They all get the same amounts and the female is much skinnier than the two males. I know the males don't eat her food, because I have to sit with her when she eats to make sure she gets all of her food that she wants.

You just have to address it on a cat-by-cat basis.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stop feeling guilty. Your cat wasn't grossly over weight and when the vet said to adjust how much your cat is fed, you made the change and kept to it. You've been taking your cat in for regular vet visits. You've been a good advocate for your cat. Learn from the experience and mark this one in the WIN column.

Take that energy wasted in feeling guilty and channel it into playing with your cat.