I don't understand . . .

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we have two cats.  I feed them, play with them, walk one and clean litter boxes.  My husband always gets the nose kisses and I get a turned away face :(  Last week my DH went on a business trip returning last night.  I thought one or both of the cats would take advantage of his absence and sleep with me on the bed. So once or twice  I had a cat with me for a short while.  Last night both cats curled up between us and stayed for a long time.  One almost all night.  Fluffy who we've only had a few months is still a little afraid of DH came up on the bed and tried his side first!   Why do these cats suck up to him?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Does he sneak them treats? Our last cat only paid attention to my husband when I wasn't home. Although he knows he shouldn't do it, hubby bribes Mogli with little bites of his breakfast, lunch or dinner and is assured of his undying affection.

Some cats simply prefer men over women, or vice versa.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No he doesn't give them anything.  He says they think he's the Alpha cat!

thatone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our male cat prefers my husband and our female prefers me, even though they are affectionate to us both.  The boy will walk right across me with his tail in the air, just to get to my husband's lap.  The female sleeps on my neck at night, but never on my husband. 

With kitties sleeping on the bed, sometimes its all about location.  My "side" of the bed has always been positioned near the door in the last couple of places we've lived.  I swear they jump up on my feet first, just because they can sit there and assess the situation from a good vantage point!

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand your frustration.  I am the cat slave in our house and they all seem to prefer him.  I try not to take it personally but every now and then I just have to say, "What is he?  Chopped liver?"

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess is they already know you'll feed them, but since your hubby doesn't, they're "sucking up" to get on his good side. Plus, he's the alpha male in the house, which makes this pretty typical cat behavior, in my experience.

When my sister visits, she's always bought my cat stuff--toys, foods etc--so when she visits, he REALLY sucks up to her. And she doesn't even like cats!! [emoji]128527[/emoji] But she's more "alpha" than I am when she visits anyway, so guess who's ignored the whole time? Me! Hmmmph...[emoji]128572[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not telling him that!  He took pity on me this morning and said they were trying to protect me.