I don't think my 3 cats love me anymore :(

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I moved this week. From a living in a room in a house with other room mates, to my own 1 bedroom apartment. Because my other room mates did not want to be bothered with my cats, all 3 stayed in my bedroom for literally 90 percent of the time that we all lived there. 

The new apartment is HUGE, and its my mother's apartment and lease, which she is handing over to me. The move has been very stressful for me and the BF, but thankfully, the kitty's have been unphased. I moved the cats first, and put all 3 in one of the big closets in the apartment, and proceeded with moving in furniture and other things. 

The condition of the apartment is: looks like a tornado passed through it. My mom still has a lot of her stuff there, which she is unfortunately taking her sweet time taking out, So i can't really unpack or set up until her and her hubby get everything (which i'm hoping is soon omg)

Every room in this house looks like a junk yard. just want to set the mental image here.

So the very first night I was there, I kept the cats with me in the bedroom only. Even though the bedroom is a mess with boxes every where, all 3 cats were very curious to explore, even my skittish girl Jet. She's found now hidey holes and she was relishing in each one. Yesterday I kept the bedroom door open, so that if the cats felt like it, they can explore, and also, I really had a lot of work to do so the door needed to stay open. I left the bedroom door, and the closet door open, so that if they wanted to go back to the closet they could. Charlie was the only one that bolted out of the bedroom the minute i opened the door and started to explore, sniff, jump up on, and play with his new surrounding. Jet and Gunther at first were being cat loafs in the closet, communicating with each other via slow blinking morse code. After a while, the other two ventured out of the closet, then out of the bedroom and onto the rest of the house.

Since then, i've literally only seen my cats twice...and both times is during feeding time -____-. no one is coming to me for pets, or cuddles, or loves....well maybe Jet, but i think she only did that because she was hungry. My cats are missing in my apartment and only come to me for food. i feel so used. lol

Aside from exploring, all 3 kitties are eating normal, and using the litter boxes just fine. its weird but i don't think i noticed any of the cats sleeping or napping like they usually do. They all seem very active, very curious, and are exploring their new home. Even Jet, which is shocking to me. She seems to have this air of confidence to her that I haven't seen before. She's the skittish shy one out of the 3. She however is the only cat that will come look for me from time to time, to see what i'm up to, or to see if i'm looking at her. She'll slow blink me and then she'll run off if I try to approach her. 

Will my cats just be using me no for the rest of their lives? coming to me only for food? the BF hasn't move in with me, so I'm sleeping alone. And usually I don't care if I sleep alone because that just means that there is more space for me and the kitties on the bed, but i've slept completely alone last night. no BF and no kitties :((((((

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Moving with cats can be difficult and scary.  The cats need time to adjust and rework out territory issues.  Have you set out their toys, cat tree, favorite blankets,etc...?  You might want to get a feliway diffuser to help calm them.  All of the boxes, mess and chaos from moving is stressful.  I am sure you have been stressed too and the cats pick up on that.  Set up a space for them where they have all of their old favorites.  Play with them.  You might want to start with having them in a small space and gradually giving them run of the apartment. 

I am certain they still love you, they are just upset by the move.  Everything they knew is now gone.  They will have to rework territory and they need time.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I really felt for you... no kitties in the bed.

Everything ShadowsRescue says is good advice.  Give it time and hopefully there will be cuddles again soon...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Their toys are in the bedroom, and so are their scratching posts, as well as their litter boxes, and they are fed in the bedroom, so that they would want to spend the most of their time there. I try to keep them in, but they just meow to be let out. Even Jet. so i do let them out. I see that they've each staked out their spots already. Jet and Gunther like to hang out in the living room. Charlie likes to hang out in the kitchen and dining room. It seems like they've made themselves at home already. Yesterday I noticed they were napping. There is a HUGE 3 piece sectional sofa in the living room. Jet and Gunther LOVE napping on it. Charlie slept with me last night, because when i woke up this morning, he was on my pillow above my head, which is how he always sleeps in bed with me, and this morning all 3 cats were following me around. They waited for me outside the bathroom, and when i got out, i fed them, and then i went about getting ready for work...and they were following me around from room to room...i think they remembered they have a cat mommy lol.

I just think they are super curious in their new home. Its really hard to keep them all in the bedroom for too long. They cry to be let out. I noticed they seek out comfortable spots in the apartment, like Gunther and Jet, they have the couch, and in the bedroom right now, all i have is a mattress on the floor, a bunch of boxes, some furniture that's not even properly arranged, and their stuff...so it would make sense as to why they probably don't like being in the bedroom...it's the most messy room in the house. I do keep them in the bedroom when i'm outside, or at work. 

I've been a bit stressed, with the move, and the condition of the house. Because of my lower back issues, I can't really move too much around and try to settle in. But at the same time I can't do anything either way because my mom has a lot of her stuff still there...which needs to be taken (but not he sofa, she's giving that to me 
)

I've got a calming Collar on Jet. She's been wearing one for the past couple months now. i think that's helping her. I'll get one for Charlie and Gunther too.

Thanks you guys for your advice. I hope they're back to being cuddle bugs again. I feel so lonely. Last night i laid on my mattress and was reading something online, and there were no cuddly cats there to keep me warm. lol

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no reason to keep them shut in the room if they seem comfortable exploring.  They are just curious and cats, when focused on something or a task, are not easily deterred.  Just be reassuring and be there when they want you.  In a couple of weeks they will be more settled and more like their old selves again. 

gverdugo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't worry. They'll give you the stinkeye for a while, but they'll get back to normal eventually! It always takes time to adjust and this is a big change!