I dont know where my cats get exposed to Feline Panleukopenia aka FPV

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats is inbred, after 4 years, she had pyometra. Before the day pyometra surgery, i let her stay at vet along with many cats/dog and maybe in non-sterilization steel cage.

Next morning, i saw 4 her legs all get wetting by urine, and then she get pyometra surgery after that, and stay in that same cage about 3-4hours

Before i come to vet, she's escaped to under garbage bin, because her eyes is not so good for a inbred and have rapidly breathing after i managed capture her, it's pretty hot day btw.

When i rewatch camera, on 5th+ day she have some sign of FPV like lying nearby water bowl, not eating much as usual but urine/stool still are normal, at day 8th+ after removed surgery stitches, she keep vomitting, drooling, urine is normal but trying to poop and can't.

Jun 10 9:40 PM she's died in my room

I have 6 indoor cats, one of my cats falling outside of house for 5 days, but she's with me and ok all the time, no sign of FPV and other cats still normal. I think my cat get exposed to FPV when stay in vet for 1day before surgery,

sorry my english is not so good.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. It's never easy losing a pet and we often end up wondering where we went wrong. I would personally find it more likely that you cat died from the pymothea though. Pymothea is a pretty serious infection and sometimes surgery isn't enough to save our animals. Sometimes the infection can spread to other areas and the medications just aren't enough to stop it. FVP is a consideration and weakend by the pymothea; your cat could have easily picked it up and not have enough immune system to protect herself.

I get wanting to know why. But when it comes down to it both items present very similarly and both are equally likely (at least in my non-vet opinion). I went through the same thing of wanting to understand what went wrong when my last pet died. In the end, there really isn't a great way to know *the answer* of what went wrong and what we could of done differently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She have drinking in water bowl & licking other, but if it counted before the day she's vomitting (June 7), my 5 other cats now have no sign of vomitting in today June 14, i feed them so much food and let them drinking oresol along with dry foods in that.

i'm so depressed because i think it's my fault for let she stay in 1st vet for 1day with 4 legs wetting by urine (steel cage but i think it's really bad cage ) or unknowledge about FPV, if i have knowledge about that, she may have higher chance to survive instead let her in 2nd vet cage for 36hours IV Fluids, watching other yellow buddy in same cold dark room dying first.

Vets rent house so about 7/8:30AM they come, and leave at 5/7h30PM, it's actually not a good ideas to let she stay in both vet :(

Before i bring her to 1st vet, there look like are some sign to warning me dont do it
she's escaped from carrier bag and i'm getting deep bite by 4-canine on right hands, day two, it's starting to heavy rain before surgery..

her eyes is not so good but she always stand in my door and calling me to open, instantly lying down when i'm trying to rub her belly,...

she's nearly died by once in about 6month but i save her with baby milk, oresol, PetAg Calcium Phosphoruss, i loved her because she's unlucky child but she's still so smart

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hongducwb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it's swollen in a few days, and look like now it leave four marks behind, hope it wont fade overtime