I Don't Know What To Do..

catchythegreycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We ( me, mom and dad) live in a 4 rooms apartment and we own a 3 yo russian blue (he is a boy). I love him with all my heart and so do my parents ( my dad more than my mom, but she does care about him).
The thing is that my parents had allowed him to go outside and wander around in the building. We live on the first floor. At first he had been scared, but really curious. The problem is that as time has gone by he cries more and more at the door to be left outside. ( in the building). He even tries to open the door.
The problem is that now he goes to the building's front door and when other neighbours come inside he sneeks past them and runs straight outside on the street. This had happened in the past two weeks very often. I don't want him to go outside because we'd lose him.
We bought leash and sometimes we walk him outside, but now even when we come back inside he just meows at the door and it is really exhausting for all of us.
I feel really bad for him and I am very sad..
We had always spoiled him. I personally never agreed to him going around in the building because I knew that eventually we could lose him..
I must specific that he is not a loving jump-in-your-lap kind of cat. He likes to be pet when he wants to be pet and he always sleeps with someone in the bed( either me or my parents). He is loving but in his own way..
I just don't know and don;t understant what to do in this situation...
ps: english is not my first language, so excuse me if there is anything that you don't understand

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The safest thing for your kitty is to not allow him out of your apartment. It may take several weeks of listening to him complain at your apartment door but eventually he should give up or meow less often. Hopefully your parents will understand that if he is allowed to roam the building, eventually he will slip outside and be gone forever.

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's emotionally frustrating. Letting him out is gamble. You don't know if he's gonna come back, or if he'll get hurt.

I really feel for you and your cat. My advice would be to keep him entertained as best as you can. Buy him toys. Perches. cat furniture. Make sure he has a comfortable window seat so he can watch the outside all he wants. I think the leash is a great idea. If possible try taking him out on daily walks at around the same time everyday. He'll look forward to it, and he'll be getting his fix.

I only like the idea of letting cats out when you live in a really rural area at certain times of day, and with supervision.

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know how hard it can be to put up with a cat constantly meowing for something. I think the other posters are right - you need to ignore his cries until he stops and only take him out on a leash. If you take him out often enough and he is never allowed to roam the building then he should eventually get used to this situation and stop begging to go out into the hall.
Also, since he has a door-dashing behavior you should get him chipped if you haven't already.

kikilove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't let him out. You're the one in control here. He can me-ow but he can't turn the doorknob. I tell my cat Jack all the time "Nope." Because I'm the parent, that's why. :biggrin: They can really work us hard with their whining, but they're also easily distracted.
Also, we have an escape artist too... we bought a baby gate for the front door. She could jump over it if she wanted to but it buys us some time.