I don't know what to do with my cat anymore..

OvidiuHiei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So me and my SO have 3 cats, 2 males and 1 female, female around 4 yr old, one of the males 5yr old and the last one and troublesome one is 2 years old.

All of them were adopted, the youngest one was found on the street at around 6 months.

He has been an outdoor/indoor cat, we used to get him outside on a leash but that ended badly since one day last year he randomly atacked my gf. So we wanted to try keeping him only indoors but he started to be really loud to the point that we couldn't sleep and we have work in the morning..
So we let him go alone and it worked well for a couple months, but lately he is coming home bleeding all over the place, its not from fights as far as we can tell, he usually goes to the cemetery and there are those spiky plants everywhere and that seems to be what is hurting him. we tried again to keep him inside but he is too loud we don't know what to do anymore, vet doesn't say a thing, we tried numerous things with scent to calm him, stuff that the vet advised and nothing worked so far he just wants to go outside.

Also he has these weird behavior of meowing like he is protecting his territory when he is outside really loud noises..even though he is sterilized

I dont know if there's some kind of pills that could make him calmer thats also safe for his health?..

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you are dealing with this. Usually most cat owners here use Feliway to calm their cats.

Try to contain him inside while he is still young.. The more he has free access in and out the house the harder for you to just contain him inside. He may be miserable for a while, and may do anything so he can get out again, like loud meowing, window and door scratching etc. - all of which must be ignored by you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OvidiuHiei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sorry that you are dealing with this. Usually most cat owners here use Feliway to calm their cats.

Try to contain him inside while he is still young.. The more he has free access in and out the house the harder for you to just contain him inside. He may be miserable for a while, and may do anything so he can get out again, like loud meowing, window and door scratching etc. - all of which must be ignored by you.

We tried some feliway stuff but nothing worked :(

Meme chan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
are they spayed/ neutered ? cause i have 3 cats --- > 2 males and one female
we had a problem with the males when the youngest cat matured both were very loud and one was attacking the other
we had to spay the cats for health and behavior problems and it made our life much easier and they are back to normal playing and sleeping most of the time.
am not sure if your cats are having the same thing but my guess is your outdoor cat is probably looking and searching for a (girlfriend) to put it nicely.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I second rubysmama rubysmama ! Build or buy a catio with access to your house via a window or door. He can have his outdoor time, but still be safe from harm. It will still take some adjustment time, but with cat trees and/or perches in the catio, he will get used to that being his outdoor space.

There are also other calming products on the market besides Feliway. Just do an internet search on "cat calming products" and see if there are a few you might like to try. Not all work on all cats, so you might have to experiment a bit. You can even use the one you find effective while he gets used to his catio.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For how many consecutive days/weeks have you tried completely ignoring him at night? If you have an iron will, and the noise is about getting attention, that often works. If its not about attention, and its about getting the zoomies at 3 am and knocking stuff off shelves "playing" . . . well I don't really know what to do about that one other than wait for the cat to get older.

The transition back to being an indoor cat often makes them very noisy/difficult for a few weeks as well. I've got one that I converted 3 months ago and he still stalks the door at times. At least he isn't noisy about his intentions anymore, but he did do that for a few weeks.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Place him in a contained room at night- hopefully one that is not next to your bedroom, and use ear plugs. I am not trying to be oversimplify the situation but that is what I did with my Umbrella Cockatoo, and nothing is louder than those birds.

I also have one cat, Figaro, who is loud, rambunctious, and makes it his job to knock everything down. He too,was banished to one of my bathrooms at night.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Give her a reason to stay inside. Catify your apartment. They like to run, jump, hide, variety of wand toys, treats. I have a 72inch tower,cubes, lots of chew toys,shipping trash. They love the sound when they land. Scratch posts- not circular-verticle flat square,slanted. Cats like to stretch!