I don’t know if I should keep my cat

jana.com

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wanted a cat for a long time bow and was doing my research.. I didn’t know what cat should I adopt exactly, but one day I saw a post how this cat really needs help and have a home that’s at least temporary, so I wanted to help and contacted her. The lady explained that the cat lives in a household with other two cats and they are constantly fighting, she also has three little boys. The lady was going on vacation, so she really didn’t want to leave the cat alone with other two fighting cats, they didn’t accept her. Let’s keep in mind she’s half blind and they had fight that injured her head a little, so there’s a wound.
Few days ago I took her and she’s been acting pretty aggressive, I thought it’s because she’s in her new environment with new people.. later I texted this lady that gave me a cat how she’s been.. and she did said that she is aggressive, which she didn’t tell me before I got her.
I don’t know what to do now, she’s acting really wild, like she lived in the forest for the past year, the cat is one year old.. my family is trying with her but they don’t approve her, every time I try to pet her she scratches and bites me, just like everyone else.
I got her better food, bought her some toys, a catnip, and nothing really helped.
At the end this lady said she cannot have a cat anymore.. so I don’t know if I should keep her and work on her, which I don’t know how, because her personality is a bit more aggressive, I cannot change someone’s character.
My main purpose to adopt a kitty was to help a cat and for her to feel grateful for it.
She is one year old, I thought maybe she was just playful but I see it’s more that that..
I was thinking to call pet shelter and ask them for a help, if not I would to give them because I don’t know how this is going to work, everyone is against her. From what I understood the lady just wanted to get rid of the cat as soon as possible.
If anyone has any help or advice, please tell me.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would imagine she is super freaked out by the changes and being blind doesn't help. Is there a way you can contain her in a small room like a bathroom with food and litter box so she doesn't hurt herself and hopefully calms down a little? Give her time and the space to settle down and let her know that she won't be hurt and is safe. It's going to be a process. Months, not days probably. I hope things work out and you keep her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jana.com

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will try that option, I hope it will help soon. I feel really bad and then I also have pressure from other family members.
For how much time should I keep her in her own room? Should I put her only when she’s acting aggressive?
Thank you!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will try that option, I hope it will help soon. I feel really bad and then I also have pressure from other family members.
For how much time should I keep her in her own room? Should I put her only when she’s acting aggressive?
Thank you!
Keep her in the smaller room all the time until she calms down and acclimates. Visit her often for brief times. Her aggression is probably anxiety induced. First from her former home and getting beat up constantly and now being in new surroundings and not knowing what the heck is going on.

Bolts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Having adopted a bitey, scratchy ex feral i feel your pain. I found out thick gloves were my best friend. I didn’t confine him to a room, but I let him do his own thing..I never tried to pet him, waited until he came to me..which usually ended in me being mauled, but the thick gloved saved my skin..I even wore them to sleep. I ditched them after a month or so, had him a year and he’s fine now..mostly. Still bites but it’s gentle, it’s just his language..good luck

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does unfortunately sound like the woman who gave you this cat wanted to get rid of her. Being half blind she must be terribly afraid. But she's only 1 years old so still young, time and patience is what's needed. klunick klunick is right about the small room, and try to let her come to you. She will realise that you aren't going to hurt her. Also I would look on the treads about ferral cat's, because I don't think the lady that has had her before you has spent time trying to socialize her. My daughter took in a blind in one eye semi ferral and he's a total cuddle cat now. Thank you for giving her a chance and remember the caring for strays and ferral treads. It's so informative and they know how to help. Please let us know how you get on.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a lot for you to take on since you have had no past experiences to learn from. First of all, almost ALL cats are very scared and unsettled when they are moved to a new home. You have not had her long and for her to be so defensive is VERY normal, she is scared out of her mind. Knowledge is power, read all you can on cats so you understand what is going on. Go through other threads here on what people have gone through, you will find many helpful tips. A new cat should not be approached and attempts made to pet or handle. If your family is trying to get close to her, that is multiple strange people scaring her even more. For so many strange people trying to get close to her, she thinks you are trying to hurt her. For now, limit her care to just you, you CAN change her character because what she is showing now is not her true one. At one year old she will blend into your family in time. Keep her in your room with a litter box, food, and water, and sit with her several times a day, NOT attempting to pet her but letting her eventually come to you. Talk softly to her, read your phone or a book out loud. I have had cats hide completely for two weeks to a month before coming out. Never stare intently into her eyes, that is threatening to a cat. Try to have a little compassion, she is scared, has been beat up and wounded by other cats, and most likely traumatized by children at that last house. It will take a while. I would bet in a month she will warm up considerably, we are here to help you in any way we can.
Cats are complex creatures. They are nothing like dogs, who are pack animals and can be threatened into doing what you want. You earn a cat's love and when you get it it is one of life's greatest treasures. Give her a chance, be patient and she will come around. You have a caring heart. I think you can sense you can help this cat but just don't know how to go about it. It is tough right now, but as you gain experience and good advise, everything WILL be different, you'll see.....

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the time, when I hear people tell me, "I'm giving this cat away because [Insert bad behavior HERE,]" I take it as a sign that the person isn't treating the cat right or just plain doesn't understand cats.

If this is one of those cats that is being rehomed because of bad behavior, I would say that, after a while, living with humans who understand cats will help the kitty calm down.

Give him some time. Make sure he knows that he will be comfortable in his new home. After a while, I'm sure he'll calm down. :)