I Don't Know If I Should Get Another Cat?

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't really know what section this goes in but I am looking at 2 15 year old cats, sisters, at the local shelter. I feel bad they are just in a cage for the last part of their life. I want to adopt them but I don't want to make a decision off of my deep emotions. I have 3 cats right now and I feel like I wouldn't be giving them all the same attention. I am home all day on disability but still. I've gotten 2 cats recently already. 1 was out of my control. My brother has no place to live so I took her in, but he wants her back in February because he found a place to live. So if I adopt these other 2 there will be 4 cats. I'm wondering if I should tell the shelter if they aren't adopted in March or April I will take them. I think it's fair to give sunshine some time to adjust to the new changes already.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it's really sweet that you want to help these two.

Personally, with everything that you have going on right now, I'd wait a couple months. By then, your brother will be gone, and he'll take his kitty with him. Also, as you mentioned, your other kitty will have time to adjust.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely let the shelter know your situation. Have them make a note on their chart or something that you are interested if no one claims them by x date.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most 15 year old cats don't do well adjusting to other cats. I mean, if no one else is going to take them, then sure, they are better off with you, but they could potentially be super stressed by the the transition. If they are great with other cats in the shelter, maybe that will translate, but I've heard it doesn't always.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is something I posted a few weeks back regarding adding a cat or cats and questions you need to ask yourself:

Can you afford another cat or the cats you have without cutting spending on your own needs?
Are you able to keep up with the cleaning and household maintenance required to clean up after all the cats?
Do having your current number or more cats interfere with family or personal relationships?
Do you mind living with damage to furniture or household items?
Do you have enough space to allow cats to be together or get away from one another?
Do you have the space to isolate a cat if they are ill or need special attention?
Do you have a plan for how your cats would be cared for if you were to get sick or die?
Do your cats interfere with your ability to sleep or take care of yourself properly?
Have you thought about what you would do if the next cat starts all of the cats not getting along.
Can you return the cat to its former owner if it doesn’t work out?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 's list of questions probably covers everything you need to ask yourself before you decide if adopting the two 15 year old cats is doable.

I totally understand your wanting to give them a home for their remaining years, but the fact that they are seniors means you'll have medical expenses sooner or later, plus you'll have to be prepared to let them go, when they become seriously ill. So it's a lot to consider.