I Dont Even Know What To Title This.....

Jessgirl91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im new to the pet sceen. I got a kitten 2 weeks ago. Shes now roughly 11 weeks old. She drinks water and i still give her some kitten milk from time to time. Otherwise she is a good little eater and drinker...

However, something extremly weird and uncomfortable happened last night. I cant beleive I'm even sharing this but im just gobsmacked and curious as to why??

Im sure someone will get a giggle despite how messed up it is but please help me feel better or try and understand why .
Its awkward but a little funny ( if you have a sence of humor but incase your wondering, no im not a weirdo lol and super not okay with what happened. I actually feel a little violated!!

The kitten has been sleeping in the bed with me and my partner ( otherwise she meows at the door all night)
I usually sleep naked and last night was no exception. Id been petting my kitten and she was puring happily , i eventually drifted off to sleep. I was then suddenly woken up by my kitten latched on trying to nurse on me. My last breast fed child is almost 4. There is no milk coming from me, kitty. But as i woke she was savagely trying to get milk from me. I dont even know how she knew where to look. Ehh ill say no more, i feel awkward enough. You get the point. Whats up with that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jessgirl91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im new to this site so i dont know what vqn or cannot be shared. I was just curious about the kittens behaviour and for what reason it might do this? And i guess if anyone else had ecperianced something similar.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :wave3:

Everything you've said is just fine, so no worries on that score :thumbsup:

Kittens (and some adult cats, for that matter) will do kneading-and-suckling behaviours from time to time, especially if (as is the case with your girl) they left mom a little young. I think the fact she did it on your breast is pure coincidence.

Kneading and suckling (after they've left mom) is usually done either as a self soothing behaviour or because kitty is feeling particularly happy - my girl (age 3) almost always does this when she comes for snuggles with me, but only if one of her favourite blankets or quilts is available to do it on!

I can totally see how finding your girl going for it on your breast and nipple would feel violating (not to say painful, with needle sharp kitten claws :cringe:), but it isn't anything to get worried about. I wouldn't want any of my guys kneading my breast (naked or otherwise), let alone suckling on it, so I can totally see that you won't want this to become a regular thing. If she does it again, calmly remove her and firmly tell her 'no'. Do this repeatedly and consistently until she gets the message. If she's hurting you at any point, squealing 'ow' (or whatever) in a high, sharp tone should put the message across to her in a way she understands. When kittens are still with their littermates, they'll squeak loudly if they get hurt during play. By squealing at her, she'll instantly understand that she's hurting you and should back off ;) Keeping her claws clipped will reduce the amount of damage she can do too.
The Dos And Don'ts Of Cat Behavior Modification
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your CatWhy Do Cats KneadWool Sucking Cats

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you knit or crochet? I made crotchet lap blankets with this really expensive super soft super fluffy yarn from Michael's (it sells for about 8$ for skein.) Anyhow I had one bottle baby that drug 'her' binkie around the house. She would knead and suckle on it. So if you can make or buy your kitten a small square/binkie I'm sure she would love it. Just drape it over your shoulder and redirect her there. (I think I used premier yarn berber & a really large hook :) )

Jessgirl91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :wave3:

Everything you've said is just fine, so no worries on that score :thumbsup:

Kittens (and some adult cats, for that matter) will do kneading-and-suckling behaviours from time to time, especially if (as is the case with your girl) they left mom a little young. I think the fact she did it on your breast is pure coincidence.

Kneading and suckling (after they've left mom) is usually done either as a self soothing behaviour or because kitty is feeling particularly happy - my girl (age 3) almost always does this when she comes for snuggles with me, but only if one of her favourite blankets or quilts is available to do it on!

I can totally see how finding your girl going for it on your breast and nipple would feel violating (not to say painful, with needle sharp kitten claws :cringe:), but it isn't anything to get worried about. I wouldn't want any of my guys kneading my breast (naked or otherwise), let alone suckling on it, so I can totally see that you won't want this to become a regular thing. If she does it again, calmly remove her and firmly tell her 'no'. Do this repeatedly and consistently until she gets the message. If she's hurting you at any point, squealing 'ow' (or whatever) in a high, sharp tone should put the message across to her in a way she understands. When kittens are still with their littermates, they'll squeak loudly if they get hurt during play. By squealing at her, she'll instantly understand that she's hurting you and should back off ;) Keeping her claws clipped will reduce the amount of damage she can do too.
The Dos And Don'ts Of Cat Behavior Modification
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your CatWhy Do Cats KneadWool Sucking Cats
Thanks for your input. Ill keep yout tips in mind if ever she tries again. Definatly not something ill forget in a hurry lol.

Jessgirl91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you knit or crochet? I made crotchet lap blankets with this really expensive super soft super fluffy yarn from Michael's (it sells for about 8$ for skein.) Anyhow I had one bottle baby that drug 'her' binkie around the house. She would knead and suckle on it. So if you can make or buy your kitten a small square/binkie I'm sure she would love it. Just drape it over your shoulder and redirect her there. (I think I used premier yarn berber & a really large hook :) )
Eh i tried to crochet, completly useless at it, i may buy her a wollen blankey for her to do as she pleases :)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy all my kitty blankets too. My guys all love ultra soft, plush fleece ones, and very soft and snuggly yarn ones too. Softness seems to be the deciding factor in my house, so look for the softest, snuggliest one you can find ;)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, I admit, I am laughing hysterically. Yes, it is perfectly normal, although they generally aren't quite so lucky as to actually hit "pay dirt," so to speak. It's so common that there is a rather wonderful word for it, "smurgling," which I adore. There are three components to smurgling, and any or all of them may be present. First, kneading; second, nuzzling or actually suckling; third, drooling, sometimes copiously. I tell people that my Hekitty is a "second-degree smurgler." She kneads and nuzzles, but doesn't drool (she leaves that to me). Many cats outgrow this with firm, repeated "NOs" and redirection. I'm positve that Hekitty will! She's ONLY nine years old!:flail:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little thing, thought it had literally hit the mother lode. I have woke up a number of times to a kitten enthusiastically sucking my earlobes and even that is a little disconcerting. If you have a fabric store near by the cheapest way to get something you baby will like is to pick of a scrap there of wool, fleece, or flannel.