I do not understand the ferals in my backyard!

Noelle_W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two ferals living in my backyard. I managed to trap one--I call her Karen-- and had her fixed. After I Karen's surgery, I kept her in a dog kennel in my bathroom for a week so she could recuperate, but released her after a week b/c she was getting cage rage. She was the most miserable cat inside (and I've rescued several ferals). I also have another backyard feral, I call Karl. I have not yet been able to trap him. He now has a limp and I have an appointment for him to get fixed and have his leg looked at, but I am not sure I will be able to trap him. Neither Karen nor Karl come at regular times. And, what is most annoying to me, is that they come out after it gets dark (after dusk) This makes me so nervous b/c I have several coyotes in my backyard that come out after dark too. I put the food close to my house, b/c the coyotes don't like to come close to my house (though they have on occasion). My question: Why do Karen and Karl come out after dark and not at dusk?? I have seen them out in the daytime (rarely). I don't leave food out in the daytime b/c I am at work and won't be able to watch or get Karl on a schedule to be trapped. On weekends, when I'm home, I'll leave food out in the day and it is rarely eaten (except by the birds). I haven't seen Karl now for two days. With his bad leg, I fear he won't last much longer. I don't understand why he won't come out at dusk--when it is so obviously safer for him. I've even been putting out smelly chicken or fish to lure him to eat at dusk. I once fed a mangey fox, and I was able to get him on a feeding schedule no problem!! The fox came promptly at 6 pm every night--until he got better thanks to the Ivermectin I slipped into his food. Any advice would be welcome.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
My guess, since cats are known to roam regularly and some do over a habitual route, is that your area is at the location of their territorial roaming path that puts them there after dark.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noelle_W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Furballsmom. How do I put in a request to be a different stop on their route? lol

Punxpunx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess u will need to entice them to come more often or stay longer. for example, in cold weather it might work if u provide a heated shelter or something. In warm weather, I dont know.. maybe it will still work if u had some hidey shelters or boxes where they can enjoy and feel safe enough to make it their homebase etc.

With my cat, it was me hanging out and interacting with her that made her visit me more often instead of just dining and dashing like when i first started feeding her.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't want them to come after dusk, you'll have to put their food out during the day before you go to work or on your lunch hour and NOT at dusk or night. food out at dusk and night is calling coyotes. For the cats a few days or so of being fed during the day should make the new habit. Then you take a personal day/ or half day from work and trap him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noelle_W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess u will need to entice them to come more often or stay longer. for example, in cold weather it might work if u provide a heated shelter or something. In warm weather, I dont know.. maybe it will still work if u had some hidey shelters or boxes where they can enjoy and feel safe enough to make it their homebase etc.

With my cat, it was me hanging out and interacting with her that made her visit me more often instead of just dining and dashing like when i first started feeding her.
Hmm...everytime I see the cat partaking of my buffet, if I walk outside to meet them, they dash away. Also, fyi, I've already TNR'd two of the three. Maybe they are holding that against me? They were both terrified in their traps and I'm sure being at the vet was also terrifying.