I COULD REALLY USE SOME SUGGESTIONS

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aloha everyone...I've been on TCS since end of May. ..and I love all of the different suggestions you have to offer. ..I have a Persian/Himalayan (I call him a Persialayan) and this is because I thought he was a Persian he has a flat face...but through what my vet said he's a Himalayan....and then through research which btw was extremely confusing because they say that Himalayans are Persians with the points...anyways thats why I call him a Persialayan. ..
so we got him from my father-in-law...who passed away...he was a rescue and my fatherinlaw said he had no fur when he got him and that he basically nursed him back to health...well I live in Florida which translates to hot and muggy in summer...recently his hair around his neck has been coming out...and now he has noticeable bald spots...which I think he may be allergic to some treats we've been giving him...anyhoo
I've been wanting to shave him but have been a bit trepidatious...one will he be too cold...our air is set at77-78...two will he scratch those bald spots worse...and third can he get sick if I shave him????
Here is a picture
Thank you for your suggestions God bless [emoji]128519[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128081[/emoji][emoji]128151[/emoji]

Last edited:

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you checked with the vet to see what is causing the hair loss? If he needs to be shaved in those areas for diagnosis or treatment, that's fine. If you need to shave his whole body, he will probably get cold, but you can get little sweaters made for cats/small dogs. He'd probably scratch the spots just as much as he did with fur. Otherwise I can't think of anything you'd be putting him at risk for, except perhaps confusion at losing his fur. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Molly92
No I haven't gone to vet yet...I've kind of been holding out to see if this too will pass...I say this not because I don't care about or for him...he came with a few problems like his eyes and ears...so instead of going to vet over every single thing...I wait to see what's going on...which is what his new vet suggest I do...like for instance I have antibiotic eye ointment for him because his eyes are problematic...and when I was taking pictures tonight I can see that his hair is kinda growing back as it is like 1-2cm long...my hubby gets paid on Friday and I think I'll take him in...btw he was just at vet like 2months ago...I was hoping if someone knew the breed to tell me if this may be normal??

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't call it normal; but something that can happen for a variety of reasons.  It's good to be observant with our furbabies. it can help the vet diagnose what the problem might be.  (But I also won't delay care if they are sick; cats are good at hiding things till they really don't feel well.)  

How long has he been with you?  Did you keep the same kind of food and litter your father-in-law used?  Cats can have allergies; just like we can, so those changes can trigger things like this.  But then so can other things.  Like stress and illness.  So it's hard to give you any real solid answers over the internet.  

I know some people routinely have their cat given a "lion" cut in the summer.  I have always had short hair cats of my own.  My mother does not have her long haired cat trimmed.