I Could Not Give Penny UP!!

bobbie sue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Well Folks, here I am again.  As I had mentioned last time, I was going to give Penny up to a "No Kill" shelter but just as I had made plans to do that.... I began feeling very, very sad and became tearful at different times throughout the day and evening.  I was very troubled and even though I had tried to "steel myself" for the eventuality of not having her around, it was affecting my sleep and disposition in general.  I was imagining her in a cage waiting for someone to adopt her and more importantly I would miss her sweet face, high intelligence and somewhat demanding manner.  Yes, she is a handful of boundless energy (sometimes way more than I can handle) at my nearly 72 years BUT... this once bedraggled, scrawny, bitten on the hip and face-scratched kitty was so endearing too! 

Oddly enough too, just about that time that the shelter wrote informing me of when I could bring her in, she was beginning to change;  After having her for three months, she was becoming a bit less scratchy and bitey and was showing real signs of affection for us too.  One day when we were out of the apartment for several hours when she was alone here, it appeared our absence must have really disturbed her... so much so that upon our return she welcomed us with open paws.  She has demonstrated significant change after roaming the streets for so long and fending for herself.  Grant it she still has a long way to go and we do accept that she does not and likely will never be a "lap cat" but she is very sociable.  

I remember when my son first found her, when I rolled one of those plastic balls with the bell inside she didn't even know what to do with it.  We taught her how to play with it and then she relished running after the ball. Slowly, she began to play as a sheltered cat safe from outside harm would know how to do.  We had bought her a 3-way tunnel which she loved and I made a super-quilted comfy blanket she would sit atop on the window sill while looking at the traffic and at the trees (now bare) which will soon be laden with bushy leaves and birds fluttering about.  At first when I put her up there she was terrified and began shaking and now she thoroughly enjoys it.  As a matter of fact, I've just ordered another single tunnel to serve as an extension to the 3-way she has.  We had bought her toys, some she is amused by.. others not so much, and looking at those toys and realizing that soon they would stand as a reminder only that she was once here when we gave her up.... was difficult... very, very difficult for me to imagine.  So, that's the story here presently.  Needless to say, I will be posting and asking for assistance as all others do as various issues arise.  As a cat-mom of 2 prior fur babies, I fully understand how unique and endearing each one is... and... how very precious.  I am so very happy we did not surrender her.  

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
What a good read. They say everything in life happens for a reason. There is no doubt she has a role in your future.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great news!  I just read through your intro post and your post where you had decided to surrender her.  It's very kind of you to offer Penny her forever home.

I just went through a similar internal debate over a feral kitten who got into my work warehouse.  We trapped her and I took her to TNR, and successfully TN'd her but then I brought her home instead of (R) releasing her.  I didn't want another cat, especially a shy feral cat.  So for a week or so, I thought I was going to socialize her and find her a permanent home.  Then, like you, I just couldn't give her up. 

I think your Penny is going to be a great cat.  She is what, about 10 months now?  She is a teenage, adolescent cat so she may still be a bit spastic and moody (just like human teens) for a short few more months.  I would expect that once she enters young adulthood you will see her become and calm wonderful companion.  Congratulations!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new cat :) ..... does she like laser pointers? That is a way you can tire her out with out running after her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobbie sue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a good read. They say everything in life happens for a reason. There is no doubt she has a role in your future.

Thanks and yes, I agree with you -- everything does seem to happen for a reason;  my husband calls it a matter of "serendipity".  

bobbie sue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

That's great news!  I just read through your intro post and your post where you had decided to surrender her.  It's very kind of you to offer Penny her forever home.

I just went through a similar internal debate over a feral kitten who got into my work warehouse.  We trapped her and I took her to TNR, and successfully TN'd her but then I brought her home instead of (R) releasing her.  I didn't want another cat, especially a shy feral cat.  So for a week or so, I thought I was going to socialize her and find her a permanent home.  Then, like you, I just couldn't give her up. 

I think your Penny is going to be a great cat.  She is what, about 10 months now?  She is a teenage, adolescent cat so she may still be a bit spastic and moody (just like human teens) for a short few more months.  I would expect that once she enters young adulthood you will see her become and calm wonderful companion.  Congratulations!

Penny saw two veterinarians thus far... one felt she was 6 months old when he spayed her two months ago (that would make her 8 months old now) but I think she was older and the second vet who saw her feels she is about a year old.  I suppose it is difficult to tell since she really filled out very much from all this good food she's been consuming.  I know one thing for sure:  she is as playful as any young kitten!  

Good luck with your new kitten;  it sure is difficult once they unlock the key to your heart.  Please let me hear how she is doing.  

Thanks for your good wishes.  

bobbie sue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Congratulations on your new cat :) ..... does she like laser pointers? That is a way you can tire her out with out running after her.

It never dawned on me to get a laser pointer but this sounds like a good idea.  Thanks!  I know that when I've used "Da Bird" it is quite a task;  no matter how fast my reflexes are and she chases it like crazy on the ground (this is how she prefers it) what usually happens is she catches it, will not release it for anything and I have to come running after it (wand and all) as she is practically dragging me with her!  haha    If getting a pointer will give her the needed exercise without giving me ALL the exercise, I'm all for it.