I converted...

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...I bought an MacBook.

I have never used on before. Will I be able to figure it out? Apparently it I can have windows programs on it too.

DH and my best friend both recomended it, and I have had really bad luck with previous laptops...

Anyway I got the Apple MacBook, MA699B/A, 1.83GHz Combo with 13.3 Inch click here

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got my new computer and I switched from IBM/WinXP to Mac with no problems at all, though I am used to Mac from elsewhere.

It really isn't that different, more intuitive even. You can have windows stuff if you buy Windows for Mac or have it as a parallel operating system. But why would you want to? You can open Office stuff for the most part with no additional software and programs that only take Windows are getting rarer and rarer.

I would suggest getting a browser besides Safari, like Firefox.

Congrats!

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats!!!

If you are really new to Mac, get a book like Mac for dummy. There is also a great site for converted people where it shows you what to do, however, I can't find it
. Mac is great for home use. You also have the choice of boot camp or Parallel to run your windows and windows apps. Hope it is great. Oh, there was (month or two) an issue with Mac battery swelling, so you might want to check to see if your production is affected.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

I already use firefox with my PC and will be sure to do so with the Mac. It arrives tomorrow morning, I'm really excited!!!

Itunes will finally work properly (or so I've heard)

Originally Posted by watchcaddy

Congrats!!!

If you are really new to Mac, get a book like Mac for dummy. There is also a great site for converted people where it shows you what to do, however, I can't find it
. Mac is great for home use. You also have the choice of boot camp or Parallel to run your windows and windows apps. Hope it is great. Oh, there was (month or two) an issue with Mac battery swelling, so you might want to check to see if your production is affected.
Thanks for the advice. Will check the battery.

Might buy the Mac for Dummies, and I'll hunt around for the website.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another reason to rethink putting windows on your mac is that one of the great things about mac is that you don't have to much worry about the billions or viruses and such...

It's so true about iTunes. I don't know what's wrong with it when you put it on a PC, but it's a disaster. Not true on a mac.

The battery issue shouldn't be a problem if you just bought it, even still it is more of a software issue (it's not, like, gonna explode or anything).

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got it this morning! I love it

It practically setup itself! Usually setting up the internet on my laptop would drive me crazy getting the pc to recognise my router, Mac did it in under a minute! I really couldn't believe it

Itunes was a dream
I just put in the DVD that had my library backup and it was done! I am very happy so far with everything.

No I won't be setting up windows to it, been reading up about that and it seems like a major pain. I just need Powerpoint for work, but I can do that on the PC.

What anti-virus should I use? AVG doesn't seem to make one for Mac, and I despise the leading programs on the market (won't name it this time, sorry mods
).

Thanks for all the help

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you get the iWork suite? It's wayyyyy better than powerpoint imo.

Yeah, I was amazed when my printer set itself up- literally I plugged in the USB cord and it said "Print to HP laserjet 1012?" and I said "Yes". On my old one it took me like hours to install the driver.

As for anti-virus. I don't have one yet. I probably should but it doesn't feel necessary

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sims2fan

I got it this morning! I love it

It practically setup itself! Usually setting up the internet on my laptop would drive me crazy getting the pc to recognise my router, Mac did it in under a minute! I really couldn't believe it

Itunes was a dream
I just put in the DVD that had my library backup and it was done! I am very happy so far with everything.

No I won't be setting up windows to it, been reading up about that and it seems like a major pain. I just need Powerpoint for work, but I can do that on the PC.

What anti-virus should I use? AVG doesn't seem to make one for Mac, and I despise the leading programs on the market (won't name it this time, sorry mods
).

Thanks for all the help
I'm assuming by "the leading programs on the market" you refer, among others, to the one I use, so I won't recommend it.
My husband got fed up with that one, and now likes Trend Micro's PC-cillin, so you might check that out, if you haven't already.

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I'm a bit confused. they seem to be for PC's am I missing something?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sims2fan

Sorry I'm a bit confused. they seem to be for PC's am I missing something?
OOPS! Simply assumed there'd be a Mac version. Sorry if I got your hopes up!

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mac is just as vulnerable as PC, however, it only occupies 10% of the pc market and there are far less viruses than PC because it is not worth for them to write one. All the Mac people I know, do not use antivirus and they are just fine.

iTunes better work with a Mac, it is a Apple product. If it does not work correctly, people will be kicking and screaming all the way to Steve Job's mansion.

I remember there was a battery "firmware" update and I believe it was only 700k or so. Until then, I did not know battery has firmwares. Apple says it will fix the problem. I am sure if it is new, it will be just fine.

Exploding Apples.

http://www.appledefects.com/?cat=25

http://profectio.com/forde/2007/01/1...explode-again/

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

OOPS! Simply assumed there'd be a Mac version. Sorry if I got your hopes up!
That's ok. I'll look into it further and post anything interesting I find

What about Sophos? Has anyone used that?

It works for Macs.

Please don't bash it here if you hate it. I guess try and use diplomatic terms or even better PM me. We don't want to get TCS in trouble.