I can't understand why my cat passed away

molang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 7-year-old cat passed away almost three weeks ago and I am having a really difficult time dealing with my loss. I come from an undeveloped country and our vets were unable to establish a diagnosis of his illness. I am trying to figure out why I lost him and I would like to ask for your opinion, please.
He was ill for around ten months during which he manifested an array of unrelated symptoms. His first symptom was a pea-sized lump between two of his toes on the front toe. He was constantly licking it and it was heavily bleeding. His first vet said that he had tumor, as soon as he saw the lump, and he removed the lump along with two of his toes. We sent the lump for biopsy and the histopathological report came a month later stating that my cat had a histiocytoma. The report was very imprecise, indicating that the tumor had histiocytic cells with low mitotic index.
Soon after my cat developed another lump on his other front paw and I took him to another vet along with the histological finding. The second vet said my cat was injured and gave him a steroid shot. The lump disappered within a month, but my cat developed other symptoms. He started sneezing and had some nasal discharge, I thought he had an allergy and after two weeks his symptoms cleared up.
As soon as he stopped sneezing, he started limping in his hind leg out of nowhere and within days he developed an arched back, limp tail, constipation and urinary incontinence. He was an indoor only cat and his vet found no broken bones, so he couldn't understand how he could have injured himself. After four days of steroid shots, his condition started improving, but within two weeks he developed a limp in his other hind leg. He was on a low dose of prednisolone for about a month and his condition improved, but he developed a severe muscle wasting in one hind leg over a month.
As soon as we weaned him off of steroids, his health rapidly deteriorated. He developed even more severe muscle wasting in his other hind leg in just a week or so, he was severely constipated, incontinent, started dragging one of his hind legs while limping on the other. For almost a year, I could hear a strange cracking sounds when he was eating dry food, it sounded like he had trouble swallowing. Then even when he was hungry, he couldn't eat well, it looked like he couldn't eat.
In the last two months, he ate much less, lost a lot of weight, developed around 10 small red lumps all over his body. I gave him prednisolone for a few days and the lumps subsided, so I thought they were caused by a fight with his sister. But, then he was sneezing a lot, had unilateral watery eye and nose discharge on the same side of the face, his hind legs gave out completely and then his front legs became progressively weak and gave out in the end. I didn't take him to a vet again because I was afraid he would have told me to put him to sleep. I loved my cat so much and couldn't accept the idea of losing him. On his last day, he had some neurological symptoms, seizures and his pupils were constantly dilating and constricting. I found him dead in the morning with bilateral Horner's syndrome and shrunken pupils.
During the last two months, he had two abdominal ultrasounds and the vet said he found nothing abnormal. He never had an x ray or CT scan because there are none in my town and due to travel restrictions I couldn't take him abroad.
I am doing really bad, so please don't judge me. I am devastated, I feel like I let him down and I find it difficult to live without him. He was a big cat and none of his vets wanted to listen to me that something was seriously wrong with his health condition. 😭
I just would like to know if his symptoms sound like he had an undiagnosed cancer, because I still don't understand what happened.
Thank you

Attachments

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your sweet boy. To me, it sounds like you did absolutely every test, every procedure that you possibly could have gotten done. Sometimes, cats get an array of illnesses that ultimately culminate to the point of their bodies just giving out. He knew he was loved until the very end.
Without a necropsy, you will never know 100% what happened. Please take comfort in knowing that there really was not much more you could have done for him and that his life was filled with love and happiness from a caring and loving owner.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all just let me say that I am so very sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful, big cat! I can well understand how unhappy you are and why you are searching desperately for reasons why this had to happen. With all his many serious symptoms he was obviously very sick. But, don't blame the vets too much - they no doubt did their best. Although medicine has progressed a long way in the past 30 or 40 years (the time I have been keeping cats) there are still many things we don't know or understand about illnesses and why some cats (or even people) respond to treatment and others don't. Two of my cats died - perhaps unnecessarily - because the vets couldn't pinpoint exactly where the problem was. As in the case of your kitty, the symptoms were treated without being able to determine the underlying cause.

As far as I know, I have never had a cat with cancer - but people with cancer can suffer similar disabilities to those you describe. I can only suggest you try to concentrate on the good times you had. He was loved and taken care of for 7 years. You couldn't have done more for him. Even if you'd flown to the best cat-hospital in the world, they may not have been able to treat him and he would have suffered so much more stress.

Try to concentrate on the happier days with him - even if that makes you cry as well.

:hugs:❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

molang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your sweet boy. To me, it sounds like you did absolutely every test, every procedure that you possibly could have gotten done. Sometimes, cats get an array of illnesses that ultimately culminate to the point of their bodies just giving out. He knew he was loved until the very end.
Without a necropsy, you will never know 100% what happened. Please take comfort in knowing that there really was not much more you could have done for him and that his life was filled with love and happiness from a caring and loving owner.
Thank you so much for your support. Indeed, it is impossible to know for sure. Yes, he was a truly loved cat, I don't have children on my own and he was like a child to me. Thanks again ♥

molang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First of all just let me say that I am so very sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful, big cat! I can well understand how unhappy you are and why you are searching desperately for reasons why this had to happen. With all his many serious symptoms he was obviously very sick. But, don't blame the vets too much - they no doubt did their best. Although medicine has progressed a long way in the past 30 or 40 years (the time I have been keeping cats) there are still many things we don't know or understand about illnesses and why some cats (or even people) respond to treatment and others don't. Two of my cats died - perhaps unnecessarily - because the vets couldn't pinpoint exactly where the problem was. As in the case of your kitty, the symptoms were treated without being able to determine the underlying cause.

As far as I know, I have never had a cat with cancer - but people with cancer can suffer similar disabilities to those you describe. I can only suggest you try to concentrate on the good times you had. He was loved and taken care of for 7 years. You couldn't have done more for him. Even if you'd flown to the best cat-hospital in the world, they may not have been able to treat him and he would have suffered so much more stress.

Try to concentrate on the happier days with him - even if that makes you cry as well.

:hugs:❤
Thank you for your support and your kind words. I am sorry for your cats as well 😢
I don't blame the vets, I mostly blame myself, but I will have to learn to live with my loss.
Thank you ♥

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your the loss of your beautiful boy. Unfortunately with cat's sometimes their little bodies just give up on them. It sounds to me like you did everything in your power to get him well again. Please don't blame yourself because all you did was give your boy a loving home and all the help you could. Vet's are only human and sometimes they don't have the answer's we are looking for.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could have been a cancer, or maybe an autoimmune disease. Not much anyone could do in either case. Sorry for your loss :frown: .

molang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your the loss of your beautiful boy. Unfortunately with cat's sometimes their little bodies just give up on them. It sounds to me like you did everything in your power to get him well again. Please don't blame yourself because all you did was give your boy a loving home and all the help you could. Vet's are only human and sometimes they don't have the answer's we are looking for.
Thank you so much ❤

molang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could have been a cancer, or maybe an autoimmune disease. Not much anyone could do in either case. Sorry for your loss :frown: .
Thank you ❤

4horses

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please consider euthanasia earlier. As much as we love our pets, to prolong their suffering is cruel. You did everything you could. It could be cancer, neurological disease or any number of things. If you get another cat, don't prolong their suffering as they reach the end. One of the hardest and most difficult things, is letting go.

molang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please consider euthanasia earlier. As much as we love our pets, to prolong their suffering is cruel. You did everything you could. It could be cancer, neurological disease or any number of things. If you get another cat, don't prolong their suffering as they reach the end. One of the hardest and most difficult things, is letting go.
Thank you. He didn't seem to suffer until his last day. I never heard him crying. I wasn't even aware he was dying. None of his vets told me he was terminally ill and I was hoping until the end that he was going to survive. I don't feel guilty for letting him dye in a natural way, but I feel guilty for not being able to cure him :confused: