I can't keep my cat still long enough to do warm compress.

melody---

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat who was spayed a week ago is having a reaction to the stitches. The vet gave a shot of antibiotics and says to do a warm compress for 10 minutes a day. But I can't keep her to stay still for 10 minutes. I don't know what to do to keep her still. Holding her doesn't do anything since she moves around too much to keep the compress and her still. I am desperately wanting this post surgery stuff to be over so I'll try anything at this point.

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you try wrapping her in a purrito with a blanket or towel? There should be plenty of videos on YouTube of how to do it if you aren’t familiar with it. This will restrain her comfortably and then you should be able to lift up the wrap around her belly/spay site enough to do the compress.

Here is one video but there are many variations on how to do it, you don’t necessarily need them on their back (I never do it that way personally)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
stressing her out isn't good either.....The antibiotic should kick in soon, I am surprised they didn't put her on a steroid or some kind of antihystamine. I wouldn't worry too much about the compress, call your vet and say she won't stand for it and it is stressing her out. Just try to apply a warm wet wash cloth a few times a day, a minute at a time for ten minutes total. Make sure it isn't too hot and hurting her!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree... the warm compress might not be worth it if she really hates it. Is she still wearing a cone?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The wrap would majorly stress out my cat too! She loves music and my soft voice. And food! Maybe if she smells treats? Do it when she's sleeping.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It can be easier if you get the warm compress, a towel soaked in hot water and wrung out. The towel should be warm, but not hot. Lay it down on the floor and put your cat on top of it. It won’t be warm after 5 minutes, so that is all you can hope for is 5 minutes.

Remember, that your cat has had surgery, so fighting with her just isn’t worth the risk of damage to her internal surgery.