I Can't Get A Clear Explanation From Vet About Why Kitten Needs Booster But My Other Cats Don't.

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually I asked the receptionist. I just couldn't seem to understand it, or maybe she couldn't properly explain it. I took my two older cats in for their vaccines, as well as, my 4 month old kitten (technically, my roommates kitten... but that's not important). I brought all three of them in at the same time. When we were done, the vet asked me to bring the kitten back in in one week for a booster. I didn't think to ask the doctor why not the adult cats. But I called a couple of days later and asked the receptionist. I simply did not understand her explanation. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Why didn't my two adult cats get asked back for a booster shot?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am assuming the adults have gotten the vaccine before while this was the kittens first time getting it. For many types of vaccines the first exposure, or first shot, doesn't provide protection against the disease. It just preps the immune system for the disease and how to react. A second exposure a few weeks later boosts the reaction and solidifies the body response to the disease. To put it a different way, the first shot tells your kittens body how to fight off the infection and the second shot is a boost to refine how to fight off the infection and build up a response for if there was a future exposure.

The adults are also getting the boost to their system but they are getting it a year apart (or three years depending on the vaccine). Think of it as reminding their bodies how to fight off the disease when they get the shot again. Technically their vaccines are boosters but spaced out further apart.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's a regular FVRCP kitten vaccine, and the kitten got it for the first time, the kitten does need a booster. Kieka explained why, so I won't add an explanation :)

However, normally kitten boosters are spaced 3-4 weeks apart. If they asked you to come back for a booster one week after the first one, I would ask what type of vaccine it is, and why you need to bring the kitten back so soon.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the adult cats haven't gotten that vaccine before, they need a booster too. Kittens under 4 months need boosters because they may still have maternal antibodies that interfere with them developing long-lasting immunity; cats and kittens over 4 months need a booster because the first one may not take.

"For initial kitten vaccination (< 16 weeks), one dose of parenteral vaccine containing modified live virus (MLV) FHV1, FCV, and FPV is recommended every 3-4 weeks from 6-8 weeks of age, with the final booster being given no sooner than 16 weeks of age. For cats older than 16 weeks of age, two doses of vaccine containing modified live virus (MLV) FHV1, FCV, and FPV given 3-4 weeks apart are recommended."
Vaccination Guidelines for Dogs and Cats | School of Veterinary Medicine

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first time a kitten gets vaccinated, its immune system learns to recognize the antigen (disease-producing substance) in the vaccine but this doesn't produce a strong immune response. It basically just "teaches" the kitten's immune system what to look out for.

The second (booster) shot is the one that builds the actual immune response. It's kinda-sorta like a fire drill for the immune system. ;)

After that, the kitten's immune system will be able to fight off the disease that it was vaccinated against.

The older cats have, presumably, had their full course of vaccinations.

They just need their booster shots... another "fire drill." ;)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But it's just not normal to give FVRCP boosters one week apart. So it's possible that there was some miscommunication, or that it is a different vaccine and not a booster of the first one. For example, maybe the first one was FVRCP, and the vet also wants to give a rabies shot but wants to wait until the kitten is a certain age for the rabies, or something like that... Or maybe the vet actually meant to bring the kitten back in 3 weeks instead of one week, and there was a miscommunication with the front desk staff. Anyway, I would check on that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes it was a booster, and it was only one week from the original vaccines. Now I am very worried. She most definitely told me to come back after one week and get the booster, which is what I did. I will definitely call them tomorrow to ask them about this. Yes, the other cats have gotten vaccines before. But this was the kitten's first time.

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so pissed right now.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't be pissed, they were right about the kitten needing a booster and not the adults. They question is why after 1 week, it should be 3-4 weeks. Call and clarify that. If they did it too soon that is on them, and you have every right to question it.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think the booster is likely to have adverse effects... I think part of the reason to wait between vaccinations is to give the immune system time to process the first dose of vaccine before getting the booster. So maybe it wouldn't be as effective after one week (?), but probably not dangerous. I would not worry, but I would definitely ask the vet about it. Maybe there was a reason.

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe the fact that the kitten is almost 5 months old had something to do with the interval. This was her first vaccine.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if they are an older kitten or adult, the normal "catch-up" series for an unvaccinated cat is two doses with 3 to 4 weeks between them. So, I would check with the vet.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
This page provides lots of helpful info about when and why vaccines are needed.
Vaccines for Cats: We Need to Stop Overvaccinating
~
This is what the docs at the spay/neuter clinic I go to tell us about vaccinate protocol for feral cats. For obvious reasons they usually only get one dose but it is still effective. Stray/feral cats that survive birth have an immune system that is stronger than our pampered house pets.
I remember reading this information by Dr. Lisa A. Pierson, DVM. Good to see it again...

➡ These ‘newer’ guidelines are based on DOI (duration of immunity) studies showing that it is not necessary to vaccinate cats as frequently as they have been in the past. In fact, the DOI studies show that it is not even necessary to vaccinate as frequently as every 3 years for FVRCP.
... challenge studies have shown a very long duration of immunity (DOI) – lifelong, for some diseases – from just a single, properly-timed, vaccine.

• Purraise
Reactions: jen

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Different vets seem to have different opinions on boosters if an adult cat has never been vaccinated before. Some recommend the booster too. Some don't with the belief an adult cat's immune system is already "programmed" to a certain extent and not need a booster.

But they always recommend the booster to kittens. Their immune system is still developing for the first time.

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called the veterinarian's office this morning and asked to speak to my veterinarian. She called me on her lunch break. She said she usually tells clients to bring the kitten back in 3-4 weeks, and doesn't know why she said 1 week. She probably believes I heard her incorrectly, but I know she said 1 week. Nevertheless, she said usually she checks the records before giving boosters, but this time she didn't. I also pointed out to her that her staff should have been more on top of it. They should have noticed that the kitten had been vaccinated only a week earlier and thus caught the error. The veterinarian agreed, and said it was a learning experience for her and her staff. So she wants me to bring the kitten back in for a booster do-over in 3 weeks. My main concern is that the booster giving only one week after the vaccines has messed up the vaccines. She said, no. The only thing that would happen is that the booster "wouldn't take hold" (because it occurred too soon after the vaccine). I am not completely confident in her anymore. She has only been practicing veterinary medicine for 3 years according to her profile. She is very young still.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you've lost confidence in your vet, I'd recommend finding a new one without guilt. I found a new vet after my kitty passed away in February, I felt like his exams were very cursory and he should have noticed the medical issue sooner. Your vet is going to be a part of your life for the next 15-20 years of more, you need to trust them. I'm thrilled with my new vet, his office visits are cheaper and the techs are super sweet.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet should never leave you questioning their skill and losing confidence in them. From a behind the scenes stand point, the vet could have a day full of a long list of major tramas and injuries and illnesses and while vaccinating a pet a couple weeks early is ABSOLUTELY something that should have been caught and is scary for the pet owner, in the grand scheme of things it is minor and not really cause for concern as the vaccine would simply just not be effective. They should apologize for the error, explain this to you and NOT CHARGE you for the next booster to make this right.

However, if you lost trust in the vet over it I would just simply move on to a new vet. How hard feelings. They should not downplay any error they make no matter how minor it seems to them because that is completely irresponsible in the eyes of the pet owner.

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't lost faith in her. I will continue to go to her. I asked another veterinarian whom I trust about her opinion and she said mistakes happen, things are overlooked. She agreed with the other veterinarian that no harm was done, and the do-over booster in three weeks is the right thing to do. This veterinarian (the one who said bring her back in one week) is young, and has only been practicing for 3 years. But I haven't lost my trust in her. It just really upset me that the booster was botched mainly because I want my kitten to be fully protected, and I worried that getting the booster earlier than scheduled would effect the vaccine.

• Purraise
Reactions: jen