I can't figure it out

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Madden has been shaking his head a lot lately like a cat will do if they have ear mites. I've thoroughly checked his ears and there is no wax build up or anything. No sign of mites, his ears don't stink like infections do, they aren't raw or red or feverish, theres no sign of irritation at all. Am I just to much of a worry-wart or could there be something wrong that I don't know about?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could be a yeast infection, or water in his ears

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't yeast infections have a smell to them like an ear infection does? I ask my moms cat got an ear infection last year and his ear smelled awful. Also, would there not be any visual signs of a yeast infection besides him shaking his head? Other than that his ears seem to be perfectly healthy and normal.
Thanks

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, yeast infections will smell, when they get bad enough. It's also possible there's a bacterial infection in the inner ear. You don't always see or smell these things. If they are shaking their head alot, there's something going on in the inner ear.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've noticed the same behaviour in my cats. I dismissed it when i thoroughly checked their ears and found thing in there. I guess a vet visit is in order for this? what is the treatment??

jettafer99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I would say a vet visit is in order. My Trixie is on anti-yeast ear meds for a week after a through treatment for mites. Could be you are not seeing the residue of the mites yet.. or could be yeast and/or another infection.