I can't decide which litter to use?

Which litter should I use?

• Stick with pine pellets

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Switch to a clumping clay (like Dr. Elsey's)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Elemteacherjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted a kitten that I was previously fostering. The shelter uses kiln dried pine pellets for litter so that is what I have been using so far. I bought the Breeze litter box and use the pellets in that so the sawdust from the wet pellets can fall through. t

While there are aspects that I like (for one, it's SUPER cheap at about $6 for a 50lb bag, and I don't smell a urine smell at all) something keeps drawing me that maybe I should be using a clumping litter (I've been thinking about Dr. Elsey's). I'm wondering if that will cover up the poo smell and mess a bit better (he does bury his poo, but not super well all the time though idk how much that would change). I also am a bit leery of the sifting aspect of the litter box should he poo right on the holes via digging and/or have stomach issues at some point...cleaning could be...nasty.

I also think that using a clumping litter would be more advantageous if I ever need to board him, or grab some other sort of litter in a pinch (i.e. most litters are going to be closer to a clumping litter than to pellets). On the other hand, I don't want to try clumping, not see any benefits over pine pellets, and then be stuck with paying more if he decides he doesn't want to dig in pellets any more after using more typical litter.

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Smart Cat clumping grass litter. It’s very lightweight, low dust and clumps as well as clay litter (but has the benefit of not being made of clay which can be potentially toxic to cats). The reason I use clumping litter is because it’s easier to monitor pee habits with it. Knowing your cat’s regular size of pee is important. One of the signs of a urinary problem is the size of pee clumps changing. It’s hard to tell how much your cat is peeing each time with non-clumping litter. I also just find the clean up of clumping litter easier.

I’m quite happy with Smart Cat, the only downside is the tracking but every litter has its cons.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the pine pellets and love it. As you said the price can’t be beat and absolutely no urine smell. I found a litter box called All Pine All Pine Litter Box which is made for the pellets so the sawdust falls through. About to order another one. My 2 boys are 7 months now. One covers his poo great the other not so much. But we are working on it haha. That’s the only time there is any odor.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the opposite boat! I just started yesterday to transition the cats to pine pellets from clay-based litter. My main reasons for wanting to switch are the tracking from the clay litter (seriously...I find litter in the dang living room, which is a good 10 feet from the room where the litterboxes are!) and the musty smell caused by the litter. The price is a nice selling point too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elemteacherjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm still undecided, gah! Haha. I do like the concept that Azazel brought up about being able to monitor pee habits easier with clumping. Hmmm. If anyone else has additional opinions on pine vs. clumping do let me know! :)

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted a kitten that I was previously fostering. The shelter uses kiln dried pine pellets for litter so that is what I have been using so far. I bought the Breeze litter box and use the pellets in that so the sawdust from the wet pellets can fall through. t

While there are aspects that I like (for one, it's SUPER cheap at about $6 for a 50lb bag, and I don't smell a urine smell at all) something keeps drawing me that maybe I should be using a clumping litter (I've been thinking about Dr. Elsey's). I'm wondering if that will cover up the poo smell and mess a bit better (he does bury his poo, but not super well all the time though idk how much that would change). I also am a bit leery of the sifting aspect of the litter box should he poo right on the holes via digging and/or have stomach issues at some point...cleaning could be...nasty.

I also think that using a clumping litter would be more advantageous if I ever need to board him, or grab some other sort of litter in a pinch (i.e. most litters are going to be closer to a clumping litter than to pellets). On the other hand, I don't want to try clumping, not see any benefits over pine pellets, and then be stuck with paying more if he decides he doesn't want to dig in pellets any more after using more typical litter.

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone!
I use wood pellets for my cats , my mum used to use clumping litter for her cats and she said it doesn't really help with the smell , but i don't know first hand.
Here , its about 6 pound per 30 l which is cheap , i find one bag of them lasts about... 2-3 weeks for my cats , ( i empty it weekly , and clean the poop away 4-5 times a day )