I call my cat a domestic shorthair but friends and family are telling me to reconsider.

Clegebrownzelpack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Warning! This is going to be a very long and detailed post!

Hello! A couple weeks ago I welcomed a kitten into my home. He is a silver spotted tabby named Buzz. My vet estimates his age to be about 4 months old. I found Buzz on my way to work one morning, hen an expensive looking car was parked in the middle of the road with its doors opened. Buzz came running out of the car into moving traffic. The driver of the car took a few steps after him but then stopped and turned around. Buzz went back to her car but when I told her that he was right there she waved me off and drove away. Of course I wasn’t going to leave the poor thing or he was sure to be run over so I, with help from other drivers, jumped out of my car and grabbed him. I’m still not sure if those were his owners as he was as not wearing a collar or has any sort of identification and is missing the tip of his ear. Not to mention I don’t know any cat parents who would leave their cat, especially a kitten in the middle of the road to die. Sorry if this seems like unnecessary information I just want you all to see why I’m confused about the breed of my cat.

When I took him to the vet I wrote him down as a domestic shorthair. A lady who was there with her dog was blown away by his appearance. She spent about three minutes telling Buzz how beautiful he is and listing all of his “amazing” features. (His colors, his eyes, the softness of his fur, and the symmetry of his patterns). The nurses and vet were also amazed by his appearance. The told me how lucky I am to have come across such a beautiful cat and that his appearance is “unusual”. My sister who is not a animal person told me that she is shocked to see such a beautiful cat and that she can’t believe I found him on the road. When FaceTiming a friend his mom saw him and told me that he is gorgeous. My friend voiced to me that he doesn’t believe he was a stray because he’s “too nice”. There are a few more similar stories but I think you get the point.

I was recently told that he looks like an Egyptian Mau. I for one don’t think so. I’ve read some the characteristics of an Egyptian Mau but a lot of those characteristics can be seen in most cats. Buzz loves being with me and id very affectionate. He constantly wants to be right by my side. If he isn’t he’ll voice his discontent very loudly. He’s quite agile but cats are like that by default in my opinion. As of now I believe the highest I saw Buzz jump was maybe a little over 3 feet. Perhaps higher but I don’t want to seem like I’m exaggerating. He spends all day hunting (like cats do) and is quite fast. He fastest when he’s scared lol. He is a bit shy around strangers and loud folk but is incredibly friendly once he gets to know you. However, like most cats, he does have a limit and will bite and scratch if he doesn’t feel like getting picked up at the moment.

I really don’t care about fancy names and pedigree. If I’m being completely honest I don’t want him to be an expensive cat as that would push me to find his previous owners and return my sweet boy. So please have at it and give me your experienced opinion. Attached are some photos of my boy. I must say that these pictures really don’t do him any justice. He’s not very photogenic as he is constantly moving.
Thank you for your time! 30D2CBEB-114E-43DE-8FFE-B993A46A812D.jpeg FE66C89E-C691-4803-9E34-49B213C75703.jpeg 32075F51-4BC2-4138-9DD0-018A3A8AC4F7.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clegebrownzelpack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Really quick I would like to mention that I don’t believe that the driver of the car was Buzz’s owner but if he is in fact a bred cat then I would have to consider that they very well might have been his owners and that would lead me to look for them and try returning him.

Clegebrownzelpack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
just keep him they dont deserve to have such a cool looking cat actually reminds me of a members cat on here, the way the diver acted sounds more like they were just dumping the poor guy
Thank you, I’m very set on keeping him but having others agree with me on keeping him makes me feel a lot better about it. I don’t know why they would dump him in such a horrible way but I am so happy he is safe now.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they ear tip all the cats they fix in your area? Around here, only strays or ferals get that when they TNR them.

Without any papers, he'd have to be called a domestic shorthair. In any case, he's yours now.

I like the spots. Get me a Sharpie! I wanna play "connect the dots!"

Clegebrownzelpack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do they ear tip all the cats they fix in your area? Around here, only strays or ferals get that when they TNR them.

Without any papers, he'd have to be called a domestic shorthair. In any case, he's yours now.

I like the spots. Get me a Sharpie! I wanna play "connect the dots!"
Haha first time I heard that one! Yes I do believe ear tipping is a thing here. However he still has both of his testicles and is too young to fix. If you look closely at his ear you’ll notice that it’s jagged. My vet thinks something attacked him as a baby. But who knows.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you reported him as found to the local authorities? Animal Control, the Humane Society, etc.? And did the vet scan him for a microchip? Usually it's legally required to report him and make a good-faith effort to find previous owners before you can take ownership. Have you checked all the local lost/found pet Facebook pages? They're usually public so you can look at them even if you don't have a Facebook account.

In case you're tempted to skip any steps, if you don't do the legal formalities, if his previous owners later find out where he is they may be able to sue to get him back. Not a high chance but it's still best to follow all the rules.

I wouldn't worry about the car you saw too much; maybe they saw him in the road and tried to rescue him themselves, but then when he ran away and other people stopped they decided to let other people take care of him.

He's definitely a silver tabby, which is rare-ish in the general cat population but not entirely unheard of. And it's odd that his ear is cut, since he's tame. Did the vet think he's already neutered? (Oops, saw this one was answered while I typed, lol). I doubt he's purebred Mau but if there are a lot of Mau breeders in the area it's possible he has some heritage.

Clegebrownzelpack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you reported him as found to the local authorities? Animal Control, the Humane Society, etc.? And did the vet scan him for a microchip? Usually it's legally required to report him and make a good-faith effort to find previous owners before you can take ownership. Have you checked all the local lost/found pet Facebook pages? They're usually public so you can look at them even if you don't have a Facebook account.

I wouldn't worry about the car you saw too much; maybe they saw him near the road and tried to rescue him themselves, but then when he ran away they assumed he lived nearby and didn't need rescuing.

He's definitely a silver tabby, which is rare-ish in the general cat population but not entirely unheard of. And it's odd that his ear is cut, since he's tame. Did the vet think he's already neutered? (Oops, saw this one was answered while I typed, lol). I doubt he's purebred Mau but if there are a lot of Mau breeders in the area it's possible he has some heritage.
Yes, my vet did scan him. He’s not microchipped unfortunately. I have searched Facebook and other websites to see if anyone was looking for him as well the Instagrams and facebooks of nearby shelters to see if I could find a photo of him being adopted (that was until I found out that he isn’t microchipped which is something all shelter animals have). Some of my friends were also keeping an eye out for anyone who may be looking for him. We stopped after a week of not finding anything.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Buzz is really different looking, very striking.
I like his attitude the best, especially in that second shot. :)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is gorgeous 😻 Thanks for saving him. I don't think he is pb mau but who knows he may have a bit of that or something else in him. He def has that look. Here is a link. I would advertise him with flyers as well and at the local shelters just in case he is lost etc. Congratulations on your new love affair with this wonderful boy :cool:

Egyptian Mau - The Elite Athlete of the Cat World

egyptian mau pic one.jpeg

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise