I bought kittens thinking they were persian. But they aren't. Help!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They seems to be longhaired moggies. Quite lovely.

They may have some persian ancestry, but not very recent.

I dont understand what is the problem. 

Did he charged a 1000 dollar each "because they are purebred persians"?  Yes, so he cheated you.

Talk with a lawyer.  [EDIT 1000, not 100]

Did he charged 10 dollars each?  No, you werent cheated, and it is very possible he himself though they were persians.  A lot people think almost anything, and every longhaired cat they do call persian.

There are even some who call shorthaired cats for persian.

If so,

Be happy with what God befell you got, do love them as they earn to be loved, and take good care about them, as every owner should.

But if you feel you cant, please find them a good home. Dont forget to charge some payment or donation. This way you screen off the most unsuitable, like dog fighters or boa-snake owners.

Good luck!

Ps. Where do you live? What country?  In some countries there are common with old type persian, for example the "Shiraz Persian", who dont look like modern persians.

In that case, they may even be persians.  Not show quality for sure, but they MAY be persians for real.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

anam haleem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't get me wrong. I love them. They are like my babies and I do not intend to return them. But, If the person knew they weren't Persian he should've told me. I really do take care of them. But my issue is with being dishonest. And yes I did pay him an arm and a leg for these kittens. So yes, I am going to talk the person first and if he refuses, I will talk to the lawyer.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You saw my PS?  Depending on where you live, they may even be real persians, although not of the modern type you see at shows.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Ps. Where do you live? What country?  In some countries there are common with old type persian, for example the "Shiraz Persian", who dont look like modern persians.
In that case, they may even be persians.  Not show quality for sure, but they MAY be persians for real.
I was wondering, too, whether they might be traditional Persians. When I was a kid, Persians weren't nearly as flat-faced as they are today, and from what I've read, Persians with more of a snout are making a comeback in some countries.

Did you get any papers (registration) with them?

Last edited:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you get papers for them? They are super cute and I hope you keep them but for future reference only buy cats from registered breeders. Non registered breeders aka back yard breeders often mix pure bred cats with domestics which may be what your cats are. They also are known for treating cats really badly and often have sick kittens and cats. They also do not do genetic testing which is dangerous for breeds like Persians who have inherited diseases. I would for sure report this person to the authorities.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old were they when you got them?

That could also be tell tale.  A reputable breeder of a purebred cat surely would never let their kitten go to a new home at less than 12 weeks.  Possibly 10.  But really, nothing less.

Yours look very much younger than that.  Not to say they couldn't be purebred, but a breeder that lets them go too early, might be looking to make money quickly, instead of caring about the kittens and cats in his/her care.

Having said that, they are two of the most darling kittens I've seen here in a long time!  Good luck with them :)

Last edited:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was wondering, too, whether they might be traditional Persians. When I was a kid, Persians weren't nearly as flat-faced as they are today, and from what I've read, Persians with more of a snout are making a comeback in some countries.

Did you get any papers (registration) with them?
Agree they could be doll faced Persians.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the thing: if they aren't registered, you can't prove they AREN'T Persians any more than he can prove they are Persians. You saw what he was selling, knowing they had no registration papers, and you paid a price the 2 of you agreed on. He did not cheat you, legally speaking.

If you had not seen the kittens before sale, or were told they were registered and the papers he gave you were forged, yes, legally, you'd have recourse. But you saw them, you thought they were worth the price, so you paid it. The end. If you want to be sure your kittens are a particular breed, you find a breeder with kittens who are properly registered with a respectable purebred registering association. If you don't do that. . .well.

Plus, not all purebreds are show quality, and even if they are, show fashions vary by country and association. So, yes, they may still be purebred Persians of a different fashion.

No matter what, they're adorable and i'm sure you'll all be very happy together :D.

Last edited:

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unrelated: I recently stood in line at the pet store with a couple who had a bicolored beagle-mix on a leash proudly told me he was "100% pure Jack Russell." Only if someone has been breeding Jack Russells in such a way as to give them floppy ears, short fur (without any extra fuzz), a tendency to drool excessively, and give them other beagle-like qualities- which would of course defeat the purpose of breeding Jack Russells. I mean, their dog was great and actually seemed to suit them well, but certainly not purebred (unless it was actually 100% beagle!).

Bottom line: It's amazing how many people don't know what they're really getting with "purebred" pets. (Or even mixes. Another person told me that the largeness of her chihuahua's tall triangular ears were from the parent who was Jack Russell. One of his parents may have been Jack Russell, but you'd never know it looking at the dog- and oversized pointy ears seem pretty standard among many chihuahuas, rather than Jack Russells.) This situation is a little more vague, but it amazes me how common it is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anam haleem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much everyone for your posts. Unfortunately, I live in Pakistan and we only have a couple of registered cat breeders and they are literally unapproachable. Another reason for me to get them was because I absolutely love them, so does my family. I got them when they were 7 weeks old but they are doing fine with formula milk and loads of love. In future, I will post more pictures as they grow up. 

Best,

Anam

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They certainly look at least part Persian.   and they may be like a mix of the "Ultra" flat faced Persian that has been developed via selective breeding,  and the older type of Persian sometimes called Shirazi Persian.   

They are very cute. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I live in Pakistan and we only have a couple of registered cat breeders and they are literally unapproachable.
Ah, I believe Pakistan is in the zone of "Shiraz Persians".  

So yes, for practical purposes you can surely believe them to be persians for real, and it is entirely possible the seller told you the thruth as he thought it be. Although he also took payment therefore.   :)

They arent the modern type as we do see them on international cat shows. But without proper certificates you anyway cant show them at these shows.  So in a way, it doesnt matters much.

A big advantage with these old type persians is they are healthy, dont have problems with tears or breathing.  While modern [edit typo] persians with their flat faces can have problems if not properly breed.

Good breeders know how to avoid problems here, but back yard breeders run often into difficulties with them.

So the end is happy, everything is happy.   :)

Good luck!

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 @ Stefan --  You  mean modern Persians with flat faces.      ( you accidentally typed modern Siamese  but I know you know what they look like -- which is the total opposite )   

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Th
Thank you very much everyone for your posts. Unfortunately, I live in Pakistan and we only have a couple of registered cat breeders and they are literally unapproachable. Another reason for me to get them was because I absolutely love them, so does my family. I got them when they were 7 weeks old but they are doing fine with formula milk and loads of love. In future, I will post more pictures as they grow up. 
Best,
Anam
They are adorable. How frustrating that it is so difficult to be certain of what they are! Glad you are enjoying them.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This site has old pictures of traditional Persians, which look much different from the modern peke-faced ones.
 Yes the Persian breed has changed a LOT.  

The website is not a group whose pedigrees i would trust .  but those are some nice historic photos.    Of course, nearly all of the words and photos on that page are copied without  credit  from an old book (looks like most or all are from Frances Simpson's  The Book of the Cat, 1903)  except that TCA  has rather oddly changed the quotes from early breeders,   inserting the words "Traditional Persian ( Dollface)" in place of "Persian"  making it look like the breeders 100+ years ago were actually calling them dollface or traditional  which they were not,   since back then, there weren't any 'ultra Persians' with very flat faces.    

In fact the really flat face only happened in the latter 20th century.  

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would help if you could put up pictures that really show their faces. They are lovely and I do think they do have persian in there blood line someplace not to far back..