sungjae pae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys thank you for reading my post 

I have a 3 month radoll

I've read many article about HCM 

The most common HCM disease is caused by genetic mutation 

I am curious HCM disease is also caused by inbreeding? ( like close breeding) 

Because i think inbreeding could provide genetic mutation 

what do u think about it??

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hi there, I don't know much about genetics, as I don't have any experience breeding. Is there something going on to make you think your baby may have HCM?

Sometimes kittens do weird things then grow out of it.

I currently have an asthma kitty and I can tell you that I was pretty scared in the beginning but now that I know what to watch for-I learned to trust myself.

Things to watch out for:

fast breathing when sleeping. the ideal is 20-30 rep per minute.

My girl was going to 50 a min in deep sleep.

I have heard that heart disease can also show breathing issues.

Tiredness, panting after play, panting for no reason, lethargic, pale gums/ears would be low oxygen or anemia but still important to keep eye on. Capillary refill time of gums should be less than 2 seconds. That is when you press with finger to make a white circle and watch how fast the area you pressed on goes pink again. you can do it on your skin to see what I am talking about.

Just things that I didn't know before. Hoping your kitten grows to be a healthy baby and you get lots of purrs, loves and years together!

Last edited:

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hi guys thank you for reading my post 

I have a 3 month radoll

I've read many article about HCM 

The most common HCM disease is caused by genetic mutation 

I am curious HCM disease is also caused by inbreeding? ( like close breeding) 

Because i think inbreeding could provide genetic mutation 

what do u think about it??
Well, technically *anything* can be caused by inbreeding.

Basically, we all have little flaws in our genetic code, but in creatures with a diverse gene pool, these are often hidden under healthier, dominant genes. Inbreeding means that the creature is breeding with family members who probably have a lot of the same flaws because they're closely related, so over time these flaws because more and more prominent since there are no new, healthier genes being introduced to counteract the flawed ones.

So, what sorts of problems can arise from inbreeding depends on the flaws of that particular genetic line. It could be literally anything. And of course, there are many, many health problems that purebreds can run into as a result of inbreeding, from the relatively benign balding some Cornish Rexes  get, to the crippling neurological problems modern Siamese cats can have.

That said, HCM, while common in ragdolls, is also common even in random-bred moggie cats. It's the most common heart disease in cats regardless of whether they're a purebred or a moggie. So it appears to be a disease cats are just susceptible to in general.

- Someone with a newly diagnosed HCM kitty (random-bred moggie) who's been doing a research binge.

Last edited:

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hcm is a form of heart disease that is common in all cats especially as they age. Just like heart disease is common in humans. Some breeds are more prone to it because the foundation cats used to start the breed were limited or it was a trait that the founders carried. Genetics play a role but line breeding exaggerates both good and bad traits.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sungjae pae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really appreciate u guys answer your answers help me a lot