I am very concerned over the Elderly and Disabled during lockdown.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I just want to share this as I am saddened to keep hearing about elderly or disabled people slipping through the cracks during this lockdown. Now more than ever we have to check on our elderly neighbors and see if they need help. I think people may be afraid to do this anymore because they don't want to spread the virus or catch it, but their must be a safe way to help out.

Well, I hope everyone is doing okay. I just felt I needed to share this.🙂

Last edited by a moderator:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lockdowns are very difficult for many especially the elderly on fixed income. They can't stock up because of income restrictions. I know here in Ohio there were groups that would shop for the elderly and do no contact delivery. I am fortunate in that I can work from home. I can limit myself to just a weekly trip to the Supermarket early Saturday morning and an unnecessary trip to Starbucks early Sunday morning. I don't sit in Starbucks I take my drink home. Many are not as fortunate. I read that there will be a waive of evictions in January because the moratorium on evictions run out in December as do extended unemployment benefits because our hapless politicians can't quit fighting long enough to do anything to help. Enough of that this is not the IMO forum. I am so ready for this to be over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Lockdowns are very difficult for many especially the elderly on fixed income. They can't stock up because of income restrictions. I know here in Ohio there were groups that would shop for the elderly and do no contact delivery. I am fortunate in that I can work from home. I can limit myself to just a weekly trip to the Supermarket early Saturday morning and an unnecessary trip to Starbucks early Sunday morning. I don't sit in Starbucks I take my drink home. Many are not as fortunate. I read that there will be a waive of evictions in January because the moratorium on evictions run out in December as do extended unemployment benefits because our hapless politicians can't quit fighting long enough to do anything to help. Enough of that this is not the IMO forum. I am so ready for this to be over.
It is very troubling when safety nets are not around for those in times of need. Government programs and charities are now underfunded and can't help too many people. I heard of open food pantries shelves being laid bare in no time. And as you mentioned there will be no Moratorium protection nor extended unemployment benefits in January. Not to mention home foreclosures and businesses that will be forced to shut down. I hoping that over the next few months things will start getting back to normal. I think in times like this we all need to try to help each other as best we can. This will make for stronger communities. I wish every community has a group like you mention helping the old and infirmed.

Hang in there. Thanks for responding to this post. 🙂

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
In my country the lockdown started since March. 3 months later my mother died at home. My brother could not say goodbye on time. I could not go back home. Instead of a funeral she was immediately collected from the house and cremated although she was not covid positive. My brother was finally allowed to say his goodbyes. While I am still stuck abroad. My son told me that during the last few weeks she was already asking for her children. And when she was explained that there was a pandemic, she went so quiet and obviously saddened. Perhaps she knew we would not be able to come to her like we always did every summer.

What troubles me until now is what she must have felt during her last few weeks. She probably knew it was coming. Until now I have bad dreams. Probably due to guilt. It was hard on her as we are a close family.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. This has been a brutal year all around. I am also so sorry to hear that you and your brother weren't able to see her before she passed and that there wasn't really a funeral. This is very painful because you didn't have the closure you needed. In normal times we visit the sick and dying and have wakes, funerals and memorial services. Naturally you feel robbed of this. My heart goes out to you. :hugs::heartshape: I hope the pain of this difficult situation, lessens a little everyday. You were with your mom in spirit in her final days and although she didn't get a funeral. Perhaps when this pandemic ends you can have a memorial service for her. You can also keep her memory alive by fondly remembering her, plant a tree in her honor, give to her charities in her name, or in some other way keep her name and legacy alive.

I hope you find peace and closure. Take care.🙂

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I can tell you that this lockdown is very difficult on the elderly. I live in independent senior housing; however there are many in here who need a lot of car. They really should not be her, but it is cheaper than a Nursing Home.. It is really sad..

We were completely quarantined in our apartments, for 8 weeks on March 26. The staff did everything or us.. I have to say, this is a good place to live. The older tenants were really going stir crazy. Yelling, screaming at people/staff. It was really bad. They were blaming the staff for the quarantine.. not fully understanding the issues. We had a huge Covid outbreak in here. The city officially quantized us.

In my city, they are looking for Volunteers to bring food, do some shopping, errands for the elderly.
I do not think many people are volunteering.

I really think this is the time for the younger generation to start realizing how good it is to give: of time, effort, caring. We all should.. I know that during the quarantine, many tenants were calling and trying to check up on as many as they could.

I do fear for the seniors living at home.. without any help. We all have to be cognizant of this. We all should be neighborly, and look out for others. Now is the time to create change. Change in attitude.

Instead of ME First.. it should be OTHERS first.. be kind and caring..

Thank you, Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose for bringing this to our attention.. I really do think more needs to be done.. a change of attitude.. back to the olden days when people looked out for neighbors.. others, respected the elderly...

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I can tell you that this lockdown is very difficult on the elderly. I live in independent senior housing; however there are many in here who need a lot of car. They really should not be her, but it is cheaper than a Nursing Home.. It is really sad..

We were completely quarantined in our apartments, for 8 weeks on March 26. The staff did everything or us.. I have to say, this is a good place to live. The older tenants were really going stir crazy. Yelling, screaming at people/staff. It was really bad. They were blaming the staff for the quarantine.. not fully understanding the issues. We had a huge Covid outbreak in here. The city officially quantized us.

In my city, they are looking for Volunteers to bring food, do some shopping, errands for the elderly.
I do not think many people are volunteering.

I really think this is the time for the younger generation to start realizing how good it is to give: of time, effort, caring. We all should.. I know that during the quarantine, many tenants were calling and trying to check up on as many as they could.

I do fear for the seniors living at home.. without any help. We all have to be cognizant of this. We all should be neighborly, and look out for others. Now is the time to create change. Change in attitude.

Instead of ME First.. it should be OTHERS first.. be kind and caring..

Thank you, Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose for bringing this to our attention.. I really do think more needs to be done.. a change of attitude.. back to the olden days when people looked out for neighbors.. others, respected the elderly...
Thanks for your insightful reply artiemom artiemom . I hope we get to the otherside of this pandemic sooner than later. As you mentioned and from what I heard these lockdowns are stressful for all, but even more so for the hardest hit demograhic--the elderly. The fear of this dreaded virus on top of the isolation and loneliness is just too much to bear. TG in your senior citizen community people were checking in on you and helping you out. All senior citzens and other vulnerable groups need this. It is really sad when seniors and other Venable groups suffer and fall through the cracks.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I don't want to make a broad brush generalization as there are most definitely those who are the exception to this, but i think the younger generations are too focused on themselves & that they don't spend much time thinking of others. As you mentioned the days of old where people helped out others, believed in being neighborly, and formed strong, tight-knit communities --need to return. I blame computers and the anominity of being online for shaping the younger generations into the way they are today. While social media can have some good outcomes, it also feeds into the negativity and incivility that seems to be prevelant in today's world. This is not helping.😔 We can't continue down this path.

Well, thank you again for your reply. I hope this pandemic brings us all closer and we get back to the basics of what a caring society looks like.

Have blessed day.🙂

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats it's weakest members." Mahatma Gandhi

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote My sincere and heartfelt sympathies go out to you, not only on the passing of your mom but not being able to be with her in her last moments. :hugs: She knew your brother and you cared deeply for her even if the two of you could not be there in person.

My husband volunteers at a Food Pantry once a week. The clients used to come in and choose their own items but due to Covid they have to check what they want on a list and the volunteers pick out the items for them. My husband said he misses the interaction with some of his favorite clients.

I think everyone has been touched by the pandemic in one way or another. For me, having worked in Special Ed. with special needs students for so many years I know how difficult it has been once the schools went to remote learning. The parents cannot leave their children at home alone and the single parents have even more challenging circumstances.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote My sincere and heartfelt sympathies go out to you, not only on the passing of your mom but not being able to be with her in her last moments. :hugs: She knew your brother and you cared deeply for her even if the two of you could not be there in person.

My husband volunteers at a Food Pantry once a week. The clients used to come in and choose their own items but due to Covid they have to check what they want on a list and the volunteers pick out the items for them. My husband said he misses the interaction with some of his favorite clients.

I think everyone has been touched by the pandemic in one way or another. For me, having worked in Special Ed. with special needs students for so many years I know how difficult it has been once the schools went to remote learning. The parents cannot leave their children at home alone and the single parents have even more challenging circumstances.
Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.
2020 is not good for all of us. But, at the end of the day, we have to be thankful that we are still here.

Appreciate your sweet words.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. This has been a brutal year all around. I am also so sorry to hear that you and your brother weren't able to see her before she passed and that there wasn't really a funeral. This is very painful because you didn't have the closure you needed. In normal times we visit the sick and dying and have wakes, funerals and memorial services. Naturally you feel robbed of this. My heart goes out to you. :hugs::heartshape: I hope the pain of this difficult situation, lessens a little everyday. You were with your mom in spirit in her final days and although she didn't get a funeral. Perhaps when this pandemic ends you can have a memorial service for her. You can also keep her memory alive by fondly remembering her, plant a tree in her honor, give to her charities in her name, or in some other way keep her name and legacy alive.

I hope you find peace and closure. Take care.🙂
Wow this made me cry. THANK YOU. The reason I came back to TCS is for people here who are so thoughtful and caring even as strangers, like you.

Some days are better than the others, but I will be fine.

Take care, too. I pray that you and your loved ones are always safe from harm, hurt and this nasty virus. Bless you. THANK YOU.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As and elderly and partially disabled person, I want to thank the random teenagers who have helped me out when I've been out shopping. I was surprised by their offers to help and very grateful they did so. If you have a teenager, tell them not to hesitate to ask if they can help. Someone will be very thankful they did.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Wow this made me cry. THANK YOU. The reason I came back to TCS is for people here who are so thoughtful and caring even as strangers, like you.

Some days are better than the others, but I will be fine.

Take care, too. I pray that you and your loved ones are always safe from harm, hurt and this nasty virus. Bless you. THANK YOU.
Your welcome. I wish you and your loved ones all the best during this difficult time. Sending a online hug your way.:hugs::heartshape:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
As and elderly and partially disabled person, I want to thank the random teenagers who have helped me out when I've been out shopping. I was surprised by their offers to help and very grateful they did so. If you have a teenager, tell them not to hesitate to ask if they can help. Someone will be very thankful they did.
I am always happy to hear when young people go out of their way to help other people. It gives me hope. These values should be taught in every home.

Thank you for your reply. Have a blessed day.