I am so tired and frustrated

Iowagirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My house and my life literally has turned into what can I do to keep Jack from ruining something. Jack is 2, I got him when he was about 4 months old. He and my dog, who is about his size, are best friends and have been from the beginning. They play together like two puppies. Jack loves dog toys, chases balls down the stairs, they sleep together, eat together. And that is really the only reason Jack is still here.
He was the seriously the best cat I've ever had for a few months. And I do not know what happened, but his entire purpose now seems to be to destroy or do what he knows he shouldn't. He's smart, he knows it's wrong, because when I do happen to catch him in the act, he runs and hides before I even say anything. I have never hit him, I have spent hours researching and tried everything that I know of, everything I can to discourage this bad behavior and encourage good. I hope someone can give me some out of the box random idea to try.
He has every toy to keep him engaged. Robots that randomly turn on, that have feathers attached and roll across the floor. He loves them, chases them. They are on a timer for 10 minutes so he doesn't get bored, and come on once an hour. Then he has another toy that spins bright objects, like ribbons and feathers, around in a circle. Also a few minutes 1x an hour. He has an automatic laser pointer that shoots around the room for a few minutes, 1x an hour. He has cat trees and mounted cat beds. He has tall scratching posts, he has angled ones. Anything new I see him do that is naughty, I find something to put in its place or distract him, or that does something similar so he will leave my object alone.
As far as counters and cupboard tops, I have tried foil, lemon essential oil, vinegar sprays, double sided tape, and most recently I bought one of those deskpads for the floor that have pokey things on the bottom and they hurt. I bought several and cut them to the shape of my counter, turned them up so that he had to walk on the pokey things. I've tried the spray bottle, clapping, various loud noises, a squeeze horn. Everything works for a week or two, then it doesn't phase him anymore. I've removed anything that might fascinate him, but unfortunately, I got used to living in my home over the years and if I do leave something on the counter without thinking....well, you can imagine. He has carried off a 6 pound roast, all of my toothbrushes I keep replacing. Electric ones. Every washrag, every sponge, my favorite stuffed animal that I had on my dresser, the tv remote, Herbie's toys, a ziploc of spaghetti sauce. True story.
He climbs up my walls. Literally. I have repaired so many holes. He has destroyed my artwork that I saved for years to get. He has knocked my special collection of wine off of the very tops of cupboards, that I for the longest time couldn't figure out how he was getting to. I have completely changed my home to no longer something that shows the things I've worked for and love, but a dwelling that is designed, and constantly being changed, around with the sole purpose of trying to staunch his bad behavior. I've put away anything and everything he can destroy, knock over, run off with. The house is full of his toys, anything to keep him from being bored, perches so he can see, all he has to do is show me the slightest inclination that he wants to nest there or sleep here, and I try to make it happen.
I'm literally broke, after fixing what he breaks, replacing what he destroys, buying things to keep him from doing those things. And, I'm pretty broken mentally, too, spending waking hours trying to figure out how to change his behavior and sleeping hours dreaming about it. Although, he's one of those cats, too, that wakes me up all the time during the night.
He is so loving, he is so affectionate, he cuddles with Herbie the dog all the time. When I'm cooking, he gets on his hind legs and wraps his front legs around my hips and just purrs. He sits on the back of my chair when I'm working and softly paws at my loose hair.
And then 2 minutes later some demon is released and I am sitting in the middle of the floor just rocking back and forth.
Can some cats just be bad? Is it possible he can't be trained? I can't spend any more money on him. I can't do any more repairs, I can't buy any more toys, I can't modify my home any further. If I can't come up with something that works, I have to find him a new home and that is going to be traumatic for him and my dog. Just a bit ago he destroyed my streaming device, and that is after I methodically arranged all of the cords and tucked them all in hidden places so that the new path he wants to zoom through was free and clear. I can't repair it, so another $200 that has to be spent if I want to watch tv. That is what prompted me to find this site. I think all I might have left is my computer so I'm trying to be quiet while I type this so he doesn't make it his next target. (that's being snarky, I'm trying to be funny. I do still have some of my clothes left, too) ;)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - just a thought, if you have a yard can you enclose it, or have an inexpensive enclosure created so he can unleash this incredible exuberance in a cat-safe/proofed environment? If you don't, can you work with him to train him to a harness and a leash so you can go for walks so his super-active mind can be engaged that way? Can you clicker train him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Iowagirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - just a thought, if you have a yard can you enclose it, or have an inexpensive enclosure created so he can unleash this incredible exuberance in a cat-safe/proofed environment? If you don't, can you work with him to train him to a harness and a leash so you can go for walks so his super-active mind can be engaged that way? Can you clicker train him?
Both excellent ideas. I do not have a yard, but I did purchase one of those little mini tents meant for taking pets outside. It has one continuous mesh windows that goes all the way around it, but otherwise is completely enclosed. About 4 foot in diameter. I kept it in the shade, put water and a couple of favorite toys in it. Started with about 10 minutes, tried to increase a few minutes a day. He hated it, howled the entire time. After just a few times, he would no longer come downstairs (he usually comes downstairs with me and waits by the door if I go into the garage) and would sit at the top watching me. Made me feel like I traumatized him. He was fine after a few days, but I didn't want to attempt that again.

So, I bought him a harness and leash. It would have been sad if I hadn't been laughing so hard. Don't judge me, it seriously was a sight. I got the harness on him, left it on for a few days so he could get used to it. Then I put the leash on for oh, maybe a half hour at a time so he could get used to that. Other than seriously examining them for a few minutes, he quickly lost interest and paid them no more attention. The day came that we were going to attempt a little walk. I got him down to the garage and he was fine but looking around very intent. I was carrying him. I opened the garage door, held him for a minute or so, and he's still just very intent on looking around. I walked to the open garage door and set him on the ground and then everything happened fast. His feet barely touched the ground and he shot straight up like it was lava, I don't know how many flips he did, parkoured off the back of my car, then the harness snapped and he was a blur. Grandkids were with me, I yelled for them to close the garage door while I guarded it. After it was closed, the kids and I looked at each other and lost it. We eventually found him, hiding somewhere, and got him upstairs.

I seriously research, and move slow, and try everything, to just get him to behave like a normal cat. I had 3 cats total up until last week, my Simon was 22 when he passed last week. He was ornery and curious but nothing like this. I've had at least 2 cats at any given time most of my life, and I am completely baffled with this behavior. Thank you so much for taking the time to give me some ideas!

DilapidatedJack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My house and my life literally has turned into what can I do to keep Jack from ruining something. Jack is 2, I got him when he was about 4 months old. He and my dog, who is about his size, are best friends and have been from the beginning. They play together like two puppies. Jack loves dog toys, chases balls down the stairs, they sleep together, eat together. And that is really the only reason Jack is still here.
He was the seriously the best cat I've ever had for a few months. And I do not know what happened, but his entire purpose now seems to be to destroy or do what he knows he shouldn't. He's smart, he knows it's wrong, because when I do happen to catch him in the act, he runs and hides before I even say anything. I have never hit him, I have spent hours researching and tried everything that I know of, everything I can to discourage this bad behavior and encourage good. I hope someone can give me some out of the box random idea to try.
He has every toy to keep him engaged. Robots that randomly turn on, that have feathers attached and roll across the floor. He loves them, chases them. They are on a timer for 10 minutes so he doesn't get bored, and come on once an hour. Then he has another toy that spins bright objects, like ribbons and feathers, around in a circle. Also a few minutes 1x an hour. He has an automatic laser pointer that shoots around the room for a few minutes, 1x an hour. He has cat trees and mounted cat beds. He has tall scratching posts, he has angled ones. Anything new I see him do that is naughty, I find something to put in its place or distract him, or that does something similar so he will leave my object alone.
As far as counters and cupboard tops, I have tried foil, lemon essential oil, vinegar sprays, double sided tape, and most recently I bought one of those deskpads for the floor that have pokey things on the bottom and they hurt. I bought several and cut them to the shape of my counter, turned them up so that he had to walk on the pokey things. I've tried the spray bottle, clapping, various loud noises, a squeeze horn. Everything works for a week or two, then it doesn't phase him anymore. I've removed anything that might fascinate him, but unfortunately, I got used to living in my home over the years and if I do leave something on the counter without thinking....well, you can imagine. He has carried off a 6 pound roast, all of my toothbrushes I keep replacing. Electric ones. Every washrag, every sponge, my favorite stuffed animal that I had on my dresser, the tv remote, Herbie's toys, a ziploc of spaghetti sauce. True story.
He climbs up my walls. Literally. I have repaired so many holes. He has destroyed my artwork that I saved for years to get. He has knocked my special collection of wine off of the very tops of cupboards, that I for the longest time couldn't figure out how he was getting to. I have completely changed my home to no longer something that shows the things I've worked for and love, but a dwelling that is designed, and constantly being changed, around with the sole purpose of trying to staunch his bad behavior. I've put away anything and everything he can destroy, knock over, run off with. The house is full of his toys, anything to keep him from being bored, perches so he can see, all he has to do is show me the slightest inclination that he wants to nest there or sleep here, and I try to make it happen.
I'm literally broke, after fixing what he breaks, replacing what he destroys, buying things to keep him from doing those things. And, I'm pretty broken mentally, too, spending waking hours trying to figure out how to change his behavior and sleeping hours dreaming about it. Although, he's one of those cats, too, that wakes me up all the time during the night.
He is so loving, he is so affectionate, he cuddles with Herbie the dog all the time. When I'm cooking, he gets on his hind legs and wraps his front legs around my hips and just purrs. He sits on the back of my chair when I'm working and softly paws at my loose hair.
And then 2 minutes later some demon is released and I am sitting in the middle of the floor just rocking back and forth.
Can some cats just be bad? Is it possible he can't be trained? I can't spend any more money on him. I can't do any more repairs, I can't buy any more toys, I can't modify my home any further. If I can't come up with something that works, I have to find him a new home and that is going to be traumatic for him and my dog. Just a bit ago he destroyed my streaming device, and that is after I methodically arranged all of the cords and tucked them all in hidden places so that the new path he wants to zoom through was free and clear. I can't repair it, so another $200 that has to be spent if I want to watch tv. That is what prompted me to find this site. I think all I might have left is my computer so I'm trying to be quiet while I type this so he doesn't make it his next target. (that's being snarky, I'm trying to be funny. I do still have some of my clothes left, too) ;)

Personally, I think it's YOUR attention he wants, not the dogs, he doesn't WANT to play with robots or electronic toys, he WANTS to play with YOU.

Just like a kid, negative attention is better than no attention at all. I'm not saying you're a bad cat mom or anything like that. It's obvious you care for him deeply. But I believe he's destroying YOUR possessions because that's what gets your attention. Maybe you could set aside 15 minutes in the morning, and 15 minutes in the evening for just you and he to play with a feather teaser or whatever he likes. Try to put the dog in another room so that kitty has your undivided attention. I myself got a pair of littermates because I felt that two would keep each other company and they could play with each other. I quickly learned that while they enjoy each other's company they REALLY want my attention, and now I have TWO of them!!! While both of my cat's sleep with me at night and will cuddle on my lap during the day sometimes, they STILL want me to spend a few minutes here and there with a feather teaser or a laser toy they can chase. I hope it all works out for all of you because you're right, separating the dog and the cat will break both their hearts, and yours.

Iowagirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Personally, I think it's YOUR attention he wants, not the dogs, he doesn't WANT to play with robots or electronic toys, he WANTS to play with YOU.

Just like a kid, negative attention is better than no attention at all. I'm not saying you're a bad cat mom or anything like that. It's obvious you care for him deeply. But I believe he's destroying YOUR possessions because that's what gets your attention. Maybe you could set aside 15 minutes in the morning, and 15 minutes in the evening for just you and he to play with a feather teaser or whatever he likes. Try to put the dog in another room so that kitty has your undivided attention. I myself got a pair of littermates because I felt that two would keep each other company and they could play with each other. I quickly learned that while they enjoy each other's company they REALLY want my attention, and now I have TWO of them!!! While both of my cat's sleep with me at night and will cuddle on my lap during the day sometimes, they STILL want me to spend a few minutes here and there with a feather teaser or a laser toy they can chase. I hope it all works out for all of you because you're right, separating the dog and the cat will break both their hearts, and yours.
That's great advice. I work from home most days and he's at my side or on my lap. He and Herbie both sleep cuddling me. When I am in the kitchen, he likes to hug my hip. He goes upstairs with me and purrs staying close to me, he goes downstairs with me and waits at the door while I do whatever outside. And I don't know that I have ever just focused only on him. I'm always doing something else while I am with him. Huh. I raised four kids, and yet missed the obvious with Jack. I will definitely give this a try. Thank you!

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t have any advice for you,just read your original post and I know it is very frustrating for you…I had to laugh, sorry I know it’s a serious problem. I just pictured you sitting in the middle of the room holding a pile of clothes and everything around you destroyed…. with Tasmanian devil (angelic at the moment) purring next to you. Hope someone can give you advice that will keep your furry family together.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with D DilapidatedJack . Your cat wants your attention. Get an interactive toy and play with your cat. Make it a routine. With Belle, I get up in the morning, brush her fur, play with her then feed her. Throughout the day, I'll use one her toys and play with her because she wants my attention.

Watch this recent video from Jackson Galaxy and pay attention to everything he says, from getting to know your cat, to stopping free feeding to putting away the interactive toy when the play session is over to how he categorizes cat toys

Iowagirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t have any advice for you,just read your original post and I know it is very frustrating for you…I had to laugh, sorry I know it’s a serious problem. I just pictured you sitting in the middle of the room holding a pile of clothes and everything around you destroyed…. with Tasmanian devil (angelic at the moment) purring next to you. Hope someone can give you advice that will keep your furry family together.
Right? Your mind shot is not far off :)

Iowagirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with D DilapidatedJack . Your cat wants your attention. Get an interactive toy and play with your cat. Make it a routine. With Belle, I get up in the morning, brush her fur, play with her then feed her. Throughout the day, I'll use one her toys and play with her because she wants my attention.

Watch this recent video from Jackson Galaxy and pay attention to everything he says, from getting to know your cat, to stopping free feeding to putting away the interactive toy when the play session is over to how he categorizes cat toys

This is awesome, and something I never would have considered. Thank you so much for your help!

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Iowagirl, I had one thought when I read your story that I thought I would mention. I have a hyper cat that is not working out. It's exhausting and emotional, and the main reason I have to let her go is the effect on my other cats, which is not your situation at all. It sounds like there may still be hope for you. Mine is on a waiting list for a very good local rescue. That said, in the meantime, I tried something that is helping with the wait. I have to do a lot of segregating and playing musical rooms with the cats. There is only one room I can put her where she won't claw at the door during the day. When she can't be in there, sometimes I have to put her in a larger crate I had for a dog I don't have anymore. This upsets her. So a few weeks ago, I bought a calming bed, and it's like a hypnosis-inducing drug to her. I put the bed in the crate and put her in there and it kind of surrounds her and cradles her and she just chills. It's like night and day. Of course, I can't leave her in there all day, but she can relax in there for a few hours without a peep. It's a nice break from the tension. I didn't know if something like that might help when you can't be watching Jack.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is awesome, and something I never would have considered. Thank you so much for your help!
You indicated that you have a "Cat Tree". Do you have it by a Window so kitty can have full view of the outside? I have a 7 foot cat tree that faces my patio door. I have setup a makeshift corn feeder for Squirrels and Chipmunks. Both of my boys spend hours watching the Squirrels and Chipmunks eat. Both of my boys are Adults and indoor only cats.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also agree that interactive play time is needed. You might have to do some trial and error to find the toy that works best for your cat through. Most cats like feathers,but they did nothing for my cat. She prefers fuzzy toys that she can really sink her claws and teeth into. There's also going to be a learning curve for both of you. Don't give up! There's something satisfying about seeing your cat catch their prey and proudly carry it to your bed to deposit it on your pillow. My husband thinks I'm a bit of a nut job because I tell the cat she's such a mighty hunter when she does that.

Iowagirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You indicated that you have a "Cat Tree". Do you have it by a Window so kitty can have full view of the outside? I have a 7 foot cat tree that faces my patio door. I have setup a makeshift corn feeder for Squirrels and Chipmunks. Both of my boys spend hours watching the Squirrels and Chipmunks eat. Both of my boys are Adults and indoor only cats.
I do, it's huge and it's by the front window. He does love sitting there. If I go outside, he watches me. If the window is open I can hear him talking to me. :) My living room and kitchen are just one big open space, so that suffices for there. Upstairs in my bedroom I have furniture arranged so that he can sit on it and look outside, but we aren't up there much, and the other rooms are shut off. I did purchase him a huge scratch pad yesterday and he seems very taken with it, also :)

Iowagirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Iowagirl, I had one thought when I read your story that I thought I would mention. I have a hyper cat that is not working out. It's exhausting and emotional, and the main reason I have to let her go is the effect on my other cats, which is not your situation at all. It sounds like there may still be hope for you. Mine is on a waiting list for a very good local rescue. That said, in the meantime, I tried something that is helping with the wait. I have to do a lot of segregating and playing musical rooms with the cats. There is only one room I can put her where she won't claw at the door during the day. When she can't be in there, sometimes I have to put her in a larger crate I had for a dog I don't have anymore. This upsets her. So a few weeks ago, I bought a calming bed, and it's like a hypnosis-inducing drug to her. I put the bed in the crate and put her in there and it kind of surrounds her and cradles her and she just chills. It's like night and day. Of course, I can't leave her in there all day, but she can relax in there for a few hours without a peep. It's a nice break from the tension. I didn't know if something like that might help when you can't be watching Jack.
I feel your pain. My mind keeps going to that, but I've been dealing with this for about 6+ months and I keep feeling like I haven't tried everything yet. Hoping it doesn't come to that, but I figure I will just know when I feel I've exhausted everything else, or we have turned a corner.
I do have the calming beds all through the house! I have 2 in the living room, 1 in the dogs kennel and one in my room. He uses them a lot! I didn't think about kenneling him, or separating him for periods, but that is also an excellent idea. Even for a time out. Not necessarily a time out for him, maybe to give me a break lol! I have a spare bedroom upstairs that I could utilize and it wouldn't be a big issue to put many of his familiar things in there along with a bed for just some time away or a time out. He does seem to do naughty things at night, I find a lot of evidence in the morning. He spends a lot of time finding ways around whatever deterrents I've put in place. I tried shutting my door to him, but he will sit for what seems like hours howling and scratching at the door. Since the point was for me to get some sleep, that failed. I will do some experimenting over the next few days with short periods of him in the spare room to get him used to it and see if I can utilize it for longer periods when needed.
Thank you so much for the advice, and I'm sorry for what you're going through. As a pet parent, that is the hardest thing to deal with next to a final goodbye. You'll be in my thoughts.

Iowagirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also agree that interactive play time is needed. You might have to do some trial and error to find the toy that works best for your cat through. Most cats like feathers,but they did nothing for my cat. She prefers fuzzy toys that she can really sink her claws and teeth into. There's also going to be a learning curve for both of you. Don't give up! There's something satisfying about seeing your cat catch their prey and proudly carry it to your bed to deposit it on your pillow. My husband thinks I'm a bit of a nut job because I tell the cat she's such a mighty hunter when she does that.
He seems to lean towards things he has to catch. The robot, the twirly thing, the red light. I got him a scratch pad yesterday and it has one of those springy toys on it, he chased that forever. This morning I found the fuzzy topper on it sitting on my counter. So, not only did he catch his prey, but he got on the counter I have booby trapped to keep him off, so he could show me who was still in charge. :)
Yesterday after getting this advice, when he would do his hug my hips thing when I was at the counter, I made a point to stop what I was doing and get down to his level and pay attention, not just distractedly pet him. I work long hours at home, so I am going to have to make a plan on my day off that has actual scheduled time even on my work days. He seems to love most of his toys, so it won't be hard to play, but he has a short attention span per toy, so have to figure that in too. Thanks so much!

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both excellent ideas. I do not have a yard, but I did purchase one of those little mini tents meant for taking pets outside. It has one continuous mesh windows that goes all the way around it, but otherwise is completely enclosed. About 4 foot in diameter. I kept it in the shade, put water and a couple of favorite toys in it. Started with about 10 minutes, tried to increase a few minutes a day. He hated it, howled the entire time. After just a few times, he would no longer come downstairs (he usually comes downstairs with me and waits by the door if I go into the garage) and would sit at the top watching me. Made me feel like I traumatized him. He was fine after a few days, but I didn't want to attempt that again.

So, I bought him a harness and leash. It would have been sad if I hadn't been laughing so hard. Don't judge me, it seriously was a sight. I got the harness on him, left it on for a few days so he could get used to it. Then I put the leash on for oh, maybe a half hour at a time so he could get used to that. Other than seriously examining them for a few minutes, he quickly lost interest and paid them no more attention. The day came that we were going to attempt a little walk. I got him down to the garage and he was fine but looking around very intent. I was carrying him. I opened the garage door, held him for a minute or so, and he's still just very intent on looking around. I walked to the open garage door and set him on the ground and then everything happened fast. His feet barely touched the ground and he shot straight up like it was lava, I don't know how many flips he did, parkoured off the back of my car, then the harness snapped and he was a blur. Grandkids were with me, I yelled for them to close the garage door while I guarded it. After it was closed, the kids and I looked at each other and lost it. We eventually found him, hiding somewhere, and got him upstairs.

I seriously research, and move slow, and try everything, to just get him to behave like a normal cat. I had 3 cats total up until last week, my Simon was 22 when he passed last week. He was ornery and curious but nothing like this. I've had at least 2 cats at any given time most of my life, and I am completely baffled with this behavior. Thank you so much for taking the time to give me some ideas!
Perhaps this playlist will help?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless your heart for hanging in there with him through all the mayhem. It looks to me that you've gotten some wonderful, applicable suggestions from other members, and I'm very glad.

Maybe in the future you can reconsider the harness and leash, and something else you could try since he seems quite smart is clicker training.

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. My mind keeps going to that, but I've been dealing with this for about 6+ months and I keep feeling like I haven't tried everything yet. Hoping it doesn't come to that, but I figure I will just know when I feel I've exhausted everything else, or we have turned a corner.
I do have the calming beds all through the house! I have 2 in the living room, 1 in the dogs kennel and one in my room. He uses them a lot! I didn't think about kenneling him, or separating him for periods, but that is also an excellent idea. Even for a time out. Not necessarily a time out for him, maybe to give me a break lol! I have a spare bedroom upstairs that I could utilize and it wouldn't be a big issue to put many of his familiar things in there along with a bed for just some time away or a time out. He does seem to do naughty things at night, I find a lot of evidence in the morning. He spends a lot of time finding ways around whatever deterrents I've put in place. I tried shutting my door to him, but he will sit for what seems like hours howling and scratching at the door. Since the point was for me to get some sleep, that failed. I will do some experimenting over the next few days with short periods of him in the spare room to get him used to it and see if I can utilize it for longer periods when needed.
Thank you so much for the advice, and I'm sorry for what you're going through. As a pet parent, that is the hardest thing to deal with next to a final goodbye. You'll be in my thoughts.
Hi, Iowagirl. My situation has been going for six months. I think the hardest part is the waiting on the rescues once I make a decision. Then I start hesitating and trying to think through how I can start over and make it work. I smiled a little when you said you find evidence of the naughty things he does at night. Wouldn't it be fun to put up cameras and see what he does and how he does it when you're not looking? I see you knew about the calming beds before me. They're so cool. I did get one idea from a cat behaviorist I talked to about when they scratch at your door at night. I haven't tried it yet because it was if I were to try to mix my cat with two of the other cats at night, which I haven't done. She suggested cardboard with double-sided tape (made for cats as a deterrent) on it and taped to the underside of the door to keep it from moving - the theory being they won't approach the door where the tape is because of the feel of the tape. I don't know if it works or about the howling. Thank you for your encouragement and for thinking of me. I hope your situation gets better and that you will check in some time with an update.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I concur that it's your attention he wants. I was in your situation when minish was kitten. She was my first cat and I had to come up with a lot of ways to exhaust her and redirect her focus on less destructive paths. Your cat is hyperactive meaning perpetual kittenhood. Although it's exhausting for you it's also a great blessing because you have a mini lion and who has that? I literally beg minish to play together, now that she's 7 and so picky about activities.
Think of your cat like a toddler. Tire him out when you play or go out, so that you will devote less but more effective time. When minish was kitten, I encouraged an obstacle course. Basically dangling some smoked turkey added to the tip of a wand toy making her chase through the corridor, above the couch, down, above some stools, bookshelves, making it fly so that she would jump a lot. All that jumping made the play shorter but more effective, plus gave her the idea of a route when she had zoomies. She still runs a similar course round the apartment even though we don't play like that anymore for 5 years. Since you also have a dog, you can initiate games between them. You can get good tips from Bengal owners. Please dont give up, think like your cat but smarter ;)