I Am Purchasing A Ragdoll Kitten.

Soon2beragdollowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a Website after hours of research that sells RagDoll Kittens.

She is selling her kittens for $1050. I already placed a $150 deposit to get on the waiting list.
She stated we won't be able to pick the kitten up until November.

She states her kittens are registered and come with TICA paper work. They are going to be spayed/neutered before leaving, they will "conform to the breed standard" (not sure what that means) and come with a written one-year health guarantee against pre-existing or genetic ailments, or FIP, and a FIVE year replacement guarantee for HCM. Also, when I look up "breeders" on the TICA website, she doesn't pop up...but she does pop up on the "cattery listing" Is this a good sign that she is a legit breeder?

I've never ever owned a kitten before so I'm a little nervous with a lot of questions.
Since I'm getting the TICA papers, does that guaranteed the Ragdoll is Purebred?
Are there any important questions to ask the breeder while I wait for the kitten?

I let her know I'm interested in the blue mitted kitten. Mom and dad are seal mitted but she stated they are still able to reproduce blue mitted's. Just any advice you guys can give me, please do.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suggest visiting the breeder's home and check it out. Are the cats well cared for? Do they look healthy or sick? Do they act normal or are they skittish? Is the room(s) where the cats are kept clean? Etc. If the breeder refuses to let you visit, it might be a sign of a "backyard breeder" and the kitten you get may not conform to breed standards and may be unhealthy.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Can you post a link to the breeder’s website? I’d love to take a look at it and let you know my thoughts!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Membership in TICA isn't required to register your cattery with them - I think. She may have chosen not to be a member, which doesn't throw up a red flag. I would strongly suggest that all the genetic testing that can be done is done and you have the results in hand (not just the breeders word that it was done). Document everything - remember this is first a business deal, then a lovable kitten. If the breeder doesn't allow you to visit the kitten it does not mean they are a back yard breeder necessarily - they may just be doing it as a precaution. Some breeders have been robbed and injured by people coming to 'see' kittens and puppies. I never allow someone to come unless my husband is home and I limit the areas of the house they go into. The conforming to the breed standard part means the kitten will look like a ragdoll. May be pet quality but it will be a ragdoll. Yes, if you are getting registration papers on the kitten, it will be a pedigreed kitten.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would ask the breeder to bump the contract health guarantee up to 2 years for pre-existing health problems. Some problems might need a bit of time to evaluate or manifest (such as a heart murmur, which a kitten might grow out of). Beyond that everything you described looks standard to me.

MsKatieB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If anyone is looking for a breeder, dentist, beautician...whatever. I now recommend a personal referral. Ask someone who has proven kittens/cats who their breeder is. Going to cat shows and seeing the kittens/cats in person, and asking around while you are there is also a great start. I learned my lesson when I began researching my Ragdoll kittens two years ago. I was very lucky to find my breeder, and now I have two! My 18 month old is now an International Winner, and was the Best of the Best at this weekend's Ragdolls Around the World Ragdoll Congress (I still need to post it, I just wanted to give input here). But I almost got burned big time from a breeder advertising "TICA registered" kittens before I realized what that really meant. Also remember, you also get what you pay for. The pricing you mentioned for a "pet quality" Ragdoll is probably ok, although on the low side. But if it is show quality, it is likely too low. Hope this helps!