I am moving, What should I do with these cats?

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really need help figuring this out. There was a litter of kittens at the place I worked, which was in an industrial area. I fed them every day, and when they got about 6 months old, I trapped them and brought them to my heated garage. I did this because, one, winter setting in, and two, it would be easier to feed them if they were closer. I put them in my garage and began socializing them. Two of them escaped, though. So I ended up socializing two of them, and the other two are still feral and live outside of my apartment but I still feed them. I have 2 additional cats of my own who live in my apartment. I just got my renewal notice, and they are raising my rent by $70. I have been wanting to move anyway because I know longer like living in this area since my only family member in the area recently died. But if I move what should I do with the four cats? Of course, I will take my two cats with me. In fact, I will probably take the two socialized cats with me, as well. But what about the two feral cats outside? I can't just live them here. But if I trap them and give them to the humane society, they will be euthanized. One other thing, the two socialized cats who live in the garage love this area. They are gone from morning til night. I rarely see them. They come back about once a day for something to eat, and then they are gone again. They have their territory here, in other words. My own cats, while they are inside outside prefer to spend most of their time in the house with me. How can I take these two away from a neighborhood (it's a large townhouse and apartment community surrounded by housing subdivisions) they clearly love? I really need help. I feel unable to make this decision because I just recently lost one of my own cats (I used to have 3, I now have 2) to cancer. It happened less than 2 weeks ago, and I am still struggling with the loss. So I don't think i can make a good decision right now. I live alone, and I am 56 years old. I live in Nampa, Idaho in case you're wondering. Thank you.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi  You're wonderful for caring for these babies. 

Check out legally what is permitted for rental increases per year in your area. 

In BC Canada rent can only be increased by 3 or 4 % a year.  -Rather than being

forced to relocate move when convenient.

I notified a local cat. rescue when I was caring for some ferals we took turns feeding them

after I had moved.

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what I would do, but I don't think this will help you. First, the cats you feed need to be fixed if they are not already fixed. That's the number one priority. Once you feed cats, fortunately or unfortunately, they then belong to you. There is no way I would move & leave the cats behind. Another thing is - where will you move to that will allow you to have 4 cats? Not sure if you have considered this. Where I live, two is about the limit in a rental if they even allow any cats.

Don't feel discouraged by my opinion. See what you think and I will try to come up with some advice to help you.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your dilemma  - it's a tough one. We're considering moving within the next year or two -- and worry very much about our feral gang outside (we trap/neutered/returned 5 - - that we now house and feed every day outside). I know the decision is heartbreaking - and I'll end up echoing some of what others have said - but this is what I'd do - - -

Obviously take the 2 you have that have been yours forever. I would also take the two you've brought in and socialized. If they were indeed feral, they'll likely have a very difficult time adjusting to someone different being their "parent". Feral cats tend to  bond to their caretakers and caretakers alone - so finding someone else to take them will probably be tough - -- - plus they already love you AND you've put in the work socializing them. As far as the other two - - they 100% need to be trapped and fixed if you haven't already - - before you know if (even if these are 2 males or 2 females ) - --  - beginning this spring - they WILL be pregnant, probably multiple times. A horrible issue and trauma for them (since most feral kittens don't survive birth - and if they do - - don't survive much longer). If you 100% just cannot take the outside 2 with you - - - talk to neighbors very near you that you trust to see if they;ll take over feeding/watering/sheltering. They may surprise you!!  You might even be able to get a few neighbors to come together and split the duties. You could always sweeten the pot by offering to buy the food and drop it off to them. The cats will shift down to wherever new food is being handed out - - and people on this forum can offer ways to help them shift.

You could take them with you -- - - but that's a hit or miss process that will involve you keeping them in your new place for a minimum of weeks - - - or they will instinctively try to get back to their original (your old place) feeding grounds. Needless to say - this doesn't usually end well for the kitties. 

Keep us posted - I know it's alot to think about, and not easy, no matter which direction you take. Thinking of you! let us know what you decide!

But don't despair - - - they

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies. I intend to move out of state. I will try and talk to some of the home owners (rather than the apartment renters) and see if they could take care of the two ferals outside. I intend to take my two cats, and the two socialized ferals with me. You are right, they trust me, and nobody else. We have a special bond. I just despair the fact that they love it here so much, and when they get to their new place they will have to reestablish their territory. The biggest problem I face is where to live. I won't be able to be an apartment dweller anymore. But nor am I am in financial position to buy a house. So I am hoping i can rent a house, and one that is a bit run-down. I can't in good conscious leave the brother and sister behind (the two ferals who escaped). I brought all four of them here because I wanted them to have each other. I almost didn't trap these two to begin with because they still remained very afraid of me unlike the other two who waited for me each day and greeted me from a distance. So if I bring my two cats, my two socialized ferals, and also the two unsocialized ferals, jeez, I would need a house in the country. I am a trucker by occupation. It has been weighing on my mind to get the two escapees fixed. One is male, one is female. The female has already had at least one litter, and all of them were captured by me. So it doesn't sound like I am lacking the ability to think properly. The ideas that were presented were the same ideas I was playing with in my head. Thank you.