I am considering getting a Persian or Himalayan Cat. Need advice please.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone

As some of you, I have had exotic and hybrid exotic cats. I lost my last one, my beloved F3 Savannah over a month ago. I do want another full time, indoor cat, My DSH's go in and out at will. They are happy and I am happy. But, I still want a strictly indoor cat.

I have always, and I mean always, wanted a Persian or a Himalayan. But, I always ended up keeping strays or exotic and hybrid cats, in need of homes. However, since, the age of eight or nine, I always wanted a Persian. I LOVE the pushed in face, big eyes and tiny ears. But, most of all, I LOVE the HAIR. Yes, I know, it will be a ton of grooming. Honestly, I am looking forward to it. Of course, I want a white Persian
. I love the Himalayan marking and blue eyes too.

So, what I am worried about, is, going to sound dumb, but, my experience with purebred cats, is very little. Other then, the exotic cat hybrids (Bengal, Chausie and Savannah). Which, are more like smaller exotics, that, do not spray.

I have heard, Persians and Himalayan, are not too bright. I am not minding, the thought, of, owning a cat, that, does not need a double door entry. Or, that, does not require everything in my home have baby locks and be put away/be Gorilla glued down. However, how not smart are they really? I have heard, Himalayan cats, are smarter (not by much) and sweeter. Is that true? I have also heard, from some people, that, they are not good with the litter box. I find that very disheartening. Is that true? My Serval learned to use a litter box, grant you, it was a cement mixing tub and I needed one per room, but, I made it work
. My F1 Bengal, used the toilet, just like a person. Since, the AlC/Asian Leopard cat, uses water naturally, that, is what Taro, my F1 Bengal did. Loki, the F3 Savannah, used litter in a box. But, it had to be a HUGE box, with, 15lbs of non-clumping litter. I am fairly good at working with nature. But, I am worried, are these cats, like "natural breeds" of domestics? Such as: Siamese, Abyssinian, and such.

Lastly, I was feeding whole live prey. Like: Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Quail and such. I am sure, these cats, can't eat that. So, what do I feed them? Yes, I know, cat food. But, just like normal cans?

I am sorry for all the dumb questions, but, I want to make sure, I can properly care for the cat and enjoy it.

Thank you all

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't trust that "they're not smart" thing. Not being hyper active doesn't mean they're not smart, which is often what people seem to think. And Himalayan is just a colourpoint Persian, so hard to imagine that there would be major differences but I'm not an expert. My step-dad had a blue Persian when I was a kid, and he was very smart. He was allowed to go outside and he was a good hunter too (mice, birds, squirrels). His nose wasn't short enough for shows, but shorter than a BSH's nose anyway. He knew how to open cabinet doors, knew how to do tricks and liked car rides, although got travel sickness sometimes. No litter box issues either unless he had stomach issues, which he had a bit more often in his last year (he was 19 when he died).

White coat will be harder to keep from matting than a dark coat. The paler the coat, the easier it gets matted for some reason. Have you thought about shaded silver or chinchilla Persian instead of white? (They don't come with blue eyes though, but bright green instead). A friend of mine has a black Persian who luckily enjoys being bathed, so grooming hasn't been issue in that area, as they do need baths to keep the coat from matting.

Make sure the parents are DNA-tested negative for PKD. 

I'm sure someone with more experience or knowledge will add something more useful.

lynsgems

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone

As some of you, I have had exotic and hybrid exotic cats. I lost my last one, my beloved F3 Savannah over a month ago. I do want another full time, indoor cat, My DSH's go in and out at will. They are happy and I am happy. But, I still want a strictly indoor cat.

I have always, and I mean always, wanted a Persian or a Himalayan. But, I always ended up keeping strays or exotic and hybrid cats, in need of homes. However, since, the age of eight or nine, I always wanted a Persian. I LOVE the pushed in face, big eyes and tiny ears. But, most of all, I LOVE the HAIR. Yes, I know, it will be a ton of grooming. Honestly, I am looking forward to it. Of course, I want a white Persian
. I love the Himalayan marking and blue eyes too.

So, what I am worried about, is, going to sound dumb, but, my experience with purebred cats, is very little. Other then, the exotic cat hybrids (Bengal, Chausie and Savannah). Which, are more like smaller exotics, that, do not spray.

I have heard, Persians and Himalayan, are not too bright. I am not minding, the thought, of, owning a cat, that, does not need a double door entry. Or, that, does not require everything in my home have baby locks and be put away/be Gorilla glued down. However, how not smart are they really? I have heard, Himalayan cats, are smarter (not by much) and sweeter. Is that true? I have also heard, from some people, that, they are not good with the litter box. I find that very disheartening. Is that true? My Serval learned to use a litter box, grant you, it was a cement mixing tub and I needed one per room, but, I made it work
. My F1 Bengal, used the toilet, just like a person. Since, the AlC/Asian Leopard cat, uses water naturally, that, is what Taro, my F1 Bengal did. Loki, the F3 Savannah, used litter in a box. But, it had to be a HUGE box, with, 15lbs of non-clumping litter. I am fairly good at working with nature. But, I am worried, are these cats, like "natural breeds" of domestics? Such as: Siamese, Abyssinian, and such.

Lastly, I was feeding whole live prey. Like: Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Quail and such. I am sure, these cats, can't eat that. So, what do I feed them? Yes, I know, cat food. But, just like normal cans?

I am sorry for all the dumb questions, but, I want to make sure, I can properly care for the cat and enjoy it.

Thank you all
Please talk to a persian breeder before making these assumptions.  I have neuters and spays with no litter box issues.  My breeding boys also do not spray.  All of my cats know how to jump and climb and know when it's time for food.  They also know they can knock things off shelves and counters if they are in the way (gorilla glued down).

All of my cats are on a raw diet.  ALL CATS are carnivores no matter what the breed. 

One thing to think about, and the breeders will also want to know this information, is if you have other cats and their breeds.  The cats with 'wild blood' in their background may be very agressive toward other cats and not accept any new cats.  I'm not saying this is anything bad, but I have talked with potential pet owners that have had these other cats and they do not think a persian would fit in their home because of the existing personalities.

If you are seriously considering a persian, please be very honest with the breeder and answer all questions asked.  We only want our kitties to go to the very best home to live a long, happy life sitting on/next to laps and sharing the bed.............

If you do speak with a persian breeder, please be honest.  I, personally, would not deny a potential home for my cats, but I would want to know the environment where they would be living since my contract states that I will take one of my kitties back at any time.  A home with other kitties is high on my list where my cat could possibly return.

Lynda

LynsGems Persians

Solids & Smokes

bshcatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I currently have a 9 and a half month old Himalayan.  He is my first and only Himalayan I have ever had, so I can only speak from personal experience based on what I've experienced with him.  Of the 3 cats I own (2 other British shorthairs), he is probably the slowest.  He's very laid back and doesn't catch on quite as quickly as the other 2.  Even when playing/chasing the laser pointer, he has a very nonchalant nature about himself.  He is very affectionate and constantly craves attention, always following me around the house like a dog. 

My only complaint with him is that he is extremely high maintenance.  I have to comb him out daily for about 10-20 minutes and clean his eyes at least once daily, if not more.  Also, Persians may be more prone to dental disease as their mouths are more compact and the teeth become crowded.  So I have been trying to brush as well.

Milo (my Himalayan) is well litter trained, and I have never had a problem with that before, except when he has softer stools, then they stick to his long fur and I have to either try to baby wipe it all out, or just give up and give him a bum bath. 

When I first got him he was being fed dry food, and I slowly switched him over to grain-free canned food.  One night when I was feeding Angus his raw chicken drumstick for dinner, Milo practically stole it from Angus' mouth.  So I decided to try him with raw and he has never been happier.  I don't know if he'd be fast enough to catch live prey if you pit it in front of him, but he does well on commercial frozen raw, raw meaty bones and gizzards/hearts/livers.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a Himalayan and a Persian, as well as a Siamese....all neutered males.  The Siamese is, without question, the smartest of the three (scary smart), but I would not say the other two are dumb.  Both of the long haired guys are very affectionate, in different ways.  The Himmie is more demanding of affection, and shows up to be brushed 2-3 times a day.  The Persian is very sweet, purrs if you just look at him, likes his snuggle sessions, but is not as demanding.  He will tolerate grooming, but doesn't ask for it, and is more independent.  The Himmie boy is very food driven, and stalks the counters looking for people food, no matter how much he is fed.  All three are great with the litter boxes (there are 4 boxes they can choose from). I have tried a variety of litters, and settled on corn litter.....all the cats were very tolerant of the changes, and do great with the corn.   All three get along with the small dogs, although the Siamese is the only one that "likes" to interact with them. The Siamese loves new people, the Persian is very tolerant of them, and the Himmie hangs back until they have been there a few times.  The Himmie will occasionally attempt to bully the others (he is the biggest), but the Persian, who is the smallest and youngest "don't take no stuff" from the older boys.  All three are doing great on a raw diet.  They started (when I brought them home) on grain free canned, and transitioned easily to raw 4 months ago.  I feed ground mixes twice a day, supplemented with Alnutrin, and salmon oil  They get a third meal most days of either freeze dried, or hearts and gizzards, or strips of chicken or pork.  The pickiest eater is the Himmie, even though he is the most food driven.  Grooming is definitely a chores with the long haired guys.  They are 9 and 11 months old....and are currently getting some matting on the chest right now....not sure if they might be blowing kitten coat, or just the weather moving into spring.  (Fortunately my housemate is a groomer/)  The Himmie is a flame point, and his coat is softer than the black Persian, who is a bit easier to care for in terms of grooming.  The Himmie had consistent problems with diarrhea until we switched to raw.

Last edited:

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I-have-friends-that-show-Persians,and-friends-that-show-and-breed-Persians.I-see-people-benched-around-me,that-have-Persians.They-are-all-very-well-behaved-and-laid-back.Even-little-Persian-kittens,will-stand-right-on-the-grooming-table,and-not-move.I-know,the-amount-of-time-it-goes-into-getting-them-ready-for-a-show,and-grooming-at-a-show.Mine-take-3-hours-start-to-finish,to-get-ready-for-a-show,their-time,is-way....more-than-that.

I-have-never-seen-a-nasty-Persian-at-shows,where-as-I-see-an-occassional-nasty-Maine-Coon.

I-highly-recommend,you-contact-breeders,and-ask-about-the-Persians,and-what-your-looking-for.As-Lynda-said,breeders-ask-a-zillion-questions,they-want-to-make-sure-the-kitten-is-going-to-a-good-home,and-make-sure-the-kitten-is-a-good-fit,for-the-kitten-buyers-life-style/experience/expectations.Most-contracts-state,the-breeder-will-take-the-kitten-back,if-for-whatever-reason,it-doesn't-work-out.Lynda-will-tell-you,they-want,the-kitten-back,and-as-responsible-breeders,they-are-prepared,for-that-possibility.

If-you-want-to-paw-mail-me,be-very-glad-to-give-you-their-contact-info,they-would-be-very-glad-to-help-you.

Just-be-aware,Persians-are-prone-to-PKD,and-prone-to-HCM.No,not-every-kitten-is-going-to-have-or-get-it,its-just-that-as-a-breed,they-are-prone-to-it.Persians-are-also-prone-to-health-issues,due-to-the-smushed-in-face,nose/breathing,eye,etc.They-are-also-very-very-high-maintance.They-must-be-combed-every-day,and-their-eyes-wiped-out,and-as-with-any-LH-breed,can-have-the-occassional-poopie-stuck-to-their-bee-hind,or-messy-bee-hinds.

Breeders-have-show-kittens,which-are-very-expensve,and-pet-quality-kittens,that-would-be-less-expensive.They-also-have-retired-show-cats.That-means-the-cat-has-won-all-the-championships-he/she-can,and-they-need-to-find-a-good-home,to-make-way-for-new-kittens.These-cats-have-seen-it-all-and-done-it-all,and-you-would-already-know-their-personality,and-they-are-highly-trained.They-are-usually-ballpark-only-2-or-3-yrs-old,they-have-been-shown-since-they-were-kittens.They-are-spayed/neutered-have-had-all-their-shots-and-have-the-same-health-guarantees-as-the-kittens,and-too-the-breeder-will-take-them-back,if-it-doesn't-work-out.

Here-is-a-good-site-to-get-you-started.

http://www.cfainc.org/Breeds/BreedsKthruR/Persian.aspx

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are definitely prone to getting "things" stuck to the rear end.  We don't show our cats, so my roommate uses her clippers and cleans up the rear end a bit to avoid that happening....works like a charm and looks just fine.  We do the same thing around the armpits in the front where they tend to lick and get things matted up.  

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a beloved Golden Persian for fifteen years and he was indeed smart and interactive.   He came from a breeder who had silver and goldens.   During his later years, I adopted a feral kitten who is insanely smart and very active.    It was hard for the Persian to deal with the hyperactive wild kitty and while he maintained his status as alpha cat he had to really fight for it.    I would be concerned if you got a Persian that he'd be at a big disadvantage with all your wild kitties - and they do sound amazing.   So yes they are smart, but my guy didn't open the cabinets or dig through drawers looking for things, which was quite nice!   

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a beloved Golden Persian for fifteen years and he was indeed smart and interactive.   He came from a breeder who had silver and goldens.   During his later years, I adopted a feral kitten who is insanely smart and very active.    It was hard for the Persian to deal with the hyperactive wild kitty and while he maintained his status as alpha cat he had to really fight for it.    I would be concerned if you got a Persian that he'd be at a big disadvantage with all your wild kitties - and they do sound amazing.   So yes they are smart, but my guy didn't open the cabinets or dig through drawers looking for things, which was quite nice!   
The Persian and Himmie wait around for the Siamese boy to get into the cabinets and drawers and throw things out for them......pretty smart in my book...lol.  

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Persian and Himmie wait around for the Siamese boy to get into the cabinets and drawers and throw things out for them......pretty smart in my book...lol.  
LOL!   So your Siamese gets to be the bad guy and get in trouble and they get the rewards!   Too funny.   I tell you I am dreading the day my Big Guy finally figures out how to turn door knobs - he's working on it.    My sweet Buddy (the Persian) never destroyed my plants, never broke anything, purred if you just looked at him though he was a prima donna in his way.  

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL!   So your Siamese gets to be the bad guy and get in trouble and they get the rewards!   Too funny.   I tell you I am dreading the day my Big Guy finally figures out how to turn door knobs - he's working on it.    My sweet Buddy (the Persian) never destroyed my plants, never broke anything, purred if you just looked at him though he was a prima donna in his way.  
Yup.....I totally understand the "prima donna" comment.  Both the long haired boys are like that, but especially the Himmie.  He can do the Garfield frown like a pro....especially to chase away the other cats or the dogs from my housemate....she is his person..  The Siamese is totally my boy, and the Persian loves both of us equally.  

All the plants here are hanging.....and we have to be careful there is nothing close enough to jump from, because they definitely try to get them.  The Persian boy is quite the snuggler when he wants to be, and he and the Siamese boy compete for who gets to jump in my lap when I go to the bathroom.  Are there really people who get to go the bathroom by themselves?

bshcatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are there really people who get to go the bathroom by themselves?
Hahaha, I definitely can't remember the last time I was able to go to the bathroom by myself!

I recently came across the Himalayan breed profile on Trupanion's website and I found it quite interesting that they mentioned how Himmies like to play fetch, because Milo does that and I didn't realize it was a breed thing. Does anyone else's Himmie play fetch?

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hahaha, I definitely can't remember the last time I was able to go to the bathroom by myself!

I recently came across the Himalayan breed profile on Trupanion's website and I found it quite interesting that they mentioned how Himmies like to play fetch, because Milo does that and I didn't realize it was a breed thing. Does anyone else's Himmie play fetch?
Foo can be very silly.....but I think he would consider fetching "beneath him".  Foo is a nickname by the way.  His actual name is Gabriel, but we refer to him as "the foo foo cat", and he answers to Foo now.  He got the nickname because he demands to be brushed several times a day, and thinks he is very pretty.  He is particularly proud of his tail.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone

I am going to make, my response slightly different then normal
. I hope, that, I can still get my point across. Since, my ability to communicate via, typing is VERY poor. I normally, put, my thoughts under each part of the quoted post. But, there are just too many replies. I am very very grateful for that mind you

Okay, for everyone, who, mentioned my exotic and hybrid cats, right now, I have NONE. So, it would not be a problem. What I am having issues with, is, never getting another one, for, the next ten to fifteen years
. My question to LynsGems is this, hybrid exotic cats, can and will accept any domestic cat, that, was around before them. But, the domestic cat, in general, will have to scratch or bite the hybrid exotic kitten ONCE. Then, they, will submit COMPLETELY and FOREVER to the domestic. But, can a Himalayan or a Persian, ACTUALLY, do that? 

Now, I have talked to breeders of Himalayan and Persian cats. The breeders, said, the breed is dumb. They said, a Himalayan is smarter then a Persian, but, not by much. Also, on this site, you read about Persian and Himalayan cats, that, have litter box problems. By problems, I mean, standing in there own waist

I am thinking, since, I want a cat, I can show and have cats, that, I am more "accustomed to" a F5 Bengal is better. Better for me
.  I guess, it just comes down to this, when, someone says, they can't keep there exotic or hybrid cat, I know, I can't turn them away. So, I shall enjoy Persians and Himalyan cats, in shows and on this site. Maybe, one day, down the road, I will own one of my own.

I want to thank everyone, for, being so helpful and helping me decide. Also, LynGems, good post, in my humble opinion. Do you know or ever owned an exotic or hybrid exotic cat? You seem, very very knowledgeable
. Lastly, I am very sorry for the delay in response times. I got busy
. Again, thank you all, very very much

lynsgems

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone

I am going to make, my response slightly different then normal
. I hope, that, I can still get my point across. Since, my ability to communicate via, typing is VERY poor. I normally, put, my thoughts under each part of the quoted post. But, there are just too many replies. I am very very grateful for that mind you

Okay, for everyone, who, mentioned my exotic and hybrid cats, right now, I have NONE. So, it would not be a problem. What I am having issues with, is, never getting another one, for, the next ten to fifteen years
. My question to LynsGems is this, hybrid exotic cats, can and will accept any domestic cat, that, was around before them.

If you were talking to me about wanting one of my kitties, this is the information that I would want to know upfront.  I don't have a problem with people owning these hybrids, it's just not my personal choice for my home and my program.  This would also be something to consider if you do have a persian kitty -- how would they be if you brought in a new kitty of ANY breed?  Some persians completely accept any kitty, others need to be an only cat.  Each cat has a different personality.

But, the domestic cat, in general, will have to scratch or bite the hybrid exotic kitten ONCE. Then, they, will submit COMPLETELY and FOREVER to the domestic. But, can a Himalayan or a Persian, ACTUALLY, do that? 

Persians (at least my persians) certainly know how to defend themselves.  It doesn't matter what the breed of kitty, if they don't want something to happen, they make it very clear to the other kitty that it needs to stop.  Keep in mind, again, that each kitty has a different personality.  Some can be very dominant, others are not.

Now, I have talked to breeders of Himalayan and Persian cats. The breeders, said, the breed is dumb. They said, a Himalayan is smarter then a Persian, but, not by much.

I actually think it all depends on the breeder.  The persian breed is actually broken out in to 7 different divisions in CFA -- Himalayans are only one of the divisions.  I have talked to other persian breeders that tell me "cats don't know their name" but every one of mine will respond when I call their name.  I have also been told that persians don't jump, but why is it I walk in to the kitchen and find I have lost the 'don't get on the counter' game again?  I also find them on the top of a 6 foot cat tree.  They may not jump that full distance, but they most certainly can climb what's needed to get all the way to the top.

Also, on this site, you read about Persian and Himalayan cats, that, have litter box problems. By problems, I mean, standing in there own waste

There are several issues kitties can have with litter boxes -- not using the box, having the waste go over the edge, not liking the box placement or the type of litter.  As for standing in their waste, it actually depends on how clean the litter box is.  Any kitty will stand in their waste if the box is not clean.  I will admit the early days with persian kittens can be rather messy, but I think that's because even the kittens have long hair, and until they learn how to actually use a box, they just don't do it quite like an adult.  All kitties can have runny stools, but you will see that the long hair will catch it before it gets to the litter so there could be cleaning involved.

I am thinking, since, I want a cat, I can show

Different breeds can live happily together.  It's just working with each individual personality.  Bengals (and all hybrids) can not be shown in CFA, but there are several other breeds that can be shown.  If you are interested in showing a persian, breeders like to retire their breeding cats after a certain amount of time and would LOVE to see them in a home where they can sleep on the bed every night or crawl in a lap.  A lot of these retired breeder kitties were shown while they were younger, so you could certainly start with a young adult.  The breeder would be able to tell you the personality of the cat (accepting of other kitties or not) and you would have a personality that would be more than happy to get back on the show bench.  CFA also has a Veteran class.  All kitties, aged 7 or older, titled or not, can compete.  I have one now that I am showing in veterans and she can certainly hold her own against a national winner kitty.  It's wonderful to see these mature kitties back out doing what they loved when they were younger.

and have cats that, I am more "accustomed to" a F5 Bengal is better. Better for me
.  I guess, it just comes down to this, when, someone says, they can't keep there exotic or hybrid cat, I know, I can't turn them away.

I highly commend you on your rescue.  I've been told that Bengals can be a challenge for people that have not researched the breed thoroughly and they just aren't quite ready for the breed charactistics and activity.  Many of these kitties could have no problem integrating into a home with an existing kitty of any breed, others may need more attention or need to be an only kitty, at least for a while.  If you want to show, you would need to get the registration papers to be able to enter.  Your rescue kitties can be your bed and house buddies while you have 1 or 2 to show in premiership (spayed/neutered) or veterans.  Something to think about?

So, I shall enjoy Persians and Himalyan cats, in shows and on this site. Maybe, one day, down the road, I will own one of my own.

You just need to find the right breeder and the right kitty for your life
If you want a persian and are ready for the maintenance, you will have one.

I want to thank everyone, for, being so helpful and helping me decide. Also, LynGems, good post, in my humble opinion.

Thank you!

Do you know or ever owned an exotic or hybrid exotic cat?

I have not owned a hybrid kitty, but do know people that do have them and have had several conversation with these owners.  I have also made it a point to go to a show with another registry to talk to the breeders of these kitties.  As I said, I have no problem with people wanting and owning these breeds, it's just my personal choice to not own one.  The kitties that I have seen are very beautiful and I have been interested in their history, it's just my personal choice.

You seem, very very knowledgeable

Thank you, again.  It looks like you are doing your research in to a completely different breed that what you are used to!  This is good for me to see!

Lastly, I am very sorry for the delay in response times. I got busy
Cat Person -- if you would like more information on the persian breed or need help finding one for your own, please feel free to send me a private message.  I would LOVE to see a new exhibitor in CFA!

Last edited:

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View media item 153601
It's just working with each individual personality. 

Yes, I completely agree. But, can any Persian, TRULY, hold it's own with a foundation hybrid?

Bengals (and all hybrids) can not be shown in CFA, but there are several other breeds that can be shown.

Yes, they can only been shown in T.I.C.A. But, you can no longer show, any foundation (F1-F4) hybrid (Bengal, Chausie, Savannah, or Safari). Only F5/SBT. I just wanted to show a cat, nothing to do with a particular registry.

If you are interested in showing a persian, breeders like to retire their breeding cats after a certain amount of time and would LOVE to see them in a home where they can sleep on the bed every night or crawl in a lap. 

I do not think, unless, former toms are very brave, a retired adult and a foundation hybrid or pure exotic would be a good idea. I could be wrong. Please, explain
. Just keep in mind, hybrid kittens are CRAZY and are like a border collie without that "trainable off switch".

A lot of these retired breeder kitties were shown while they were younger, so you could certainly start with a young adult.  The breeder would be able to tell you the personality of the cat (accepting of other kitties or not) and you would have a personality that would be more than happy to get back on the show bench.  CFA also has a Veteran class.  All kitties, aged 7 or older, titled or not, can compete.  I have one now that I am showing in veterans and she can certainly hold her own against a national winner kitty.  It's wonderful to see these mature kitties back out doing what they loved when they were younger.

Very very informative
. Thank you, very very much

I highly commend you on your rescue. 

Thank you, most people do NOT. I will be the first to admit, that, you need to have rocks in your head,  to willingly acquire a older foundation hybrid or one, like my F3, that, is "too much".

I've been told that Bengals can be a challenge for people that have not researched the breed thoroughly and they just aren't quite ready for the breed charactistics and activity. 

That is very very very true. I am not sure why though. Since, the ALC/Asian Leopard cat, is a VERY shy and reclusive creature. I would have thought, F5/SBT, would be very very easy to handle. But, they sure are NOT. While, the Serval and Jungle Cat and most of all the Geoffrey Cat are very outgoing and hyperactive. So, it would make sense, that, the hybrids would be and they sure are. Some, of the hybrids, are worse, then, the pure exotics. By worse, I mean active.

Many of these kitties could have no problem integrating into a home with an existing kitty of any breed,

Most adult domestics and most pure breed adult cats, are terrified of a hybrid kitten, in my experience. So, I would love to hear, how, some breed, as maline as a Persian, could handle it.

others may need more attention or need to be an only kitty, at least for a while. 

That would be fine, as long as, they, did not need to be the only cat forever.

If you want to show, you would need to get the registration papers to be able to enter.  Your rescue kitties can be your bed and house buddies while you have 1 or 2 to show in premiership (spayed/neutered) or veterans.

I think it fine. All my hybrids, had, to have a blue slip or it is illegal for me to rescue them. Is that what you mean? I am can be very ditsy and easily confused. So, I do need clarification

Something to think about?

Ummm, I am so confused, can you rephrase. I am sure, that, I like your idea. I just do not get it

You just need to find the right breeder and the right kitty for your life
If you want a persian and are ready for the maintenance, you will have one.

I LOVE
the idea of all that maintenance. I used to just brush my Serval cause we both enjoyed it.

Thank you!

You are very very welcome and I truly believe it to be true

I have not owned a hybrid kitty, but do know people that do have them and have had several conversation with these owners.

Well, you fooled me. I thought, you owned or at least at one point did a Bengal.

I have also made it a point to go to a show with another registry to talk to the breeders of these kitties. 

I am guessing T.I.C.A.? I am hoping not UFO, since, many of those hybrids are nothing but Bengal, Chausie and domestic breed mixes.

As I said, I have no problem with people wanting and owning these breeds, it's just my personal choice to not own one. 

Please, I beg of you, do not take this the wrong way, but, I truly applaud you for knowing what you do NOT want to own. Furthermore, I am so happy to see someone, respect another persons right to own a "nonstandard" cat.

The kitties that I have seen are very beautiful and I have been interested in their history, it's just my personal choice.

Yes, they are beautiful. But, sadly, there is far far far more to owning them, then, there beautiful pelt. Hence, why, I have ended up with some
. To say, the hybrid cats behavior is challenging, is, well an understatement at times

Thank you, again.  It looks like you are doing your research in to a completely different breed that what you are used to!  This is good for me to see!

You are very very welcome and I mean it. Yes, I want to do research, since, one, I think it is the right thing to do. But, more importantly, I do not want the domestic to suffer cause of my poor choice.

Lastly, I am very sorry for the delay in response times. I got busy
My responses are in red and it will not let me PM you

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the individual personality - my Buddy was definitely purebred and had lots of moxie. He kept his alpha position against a younger energetic DLH who was twice his size. Most who met him said he had a very atypical personality though for a Persian. Here's a pic during a time his fur was half-grown back from a lion cut:

Last edited:

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Bastfriend,

Your Persian was so so so handsome. I just
him. I need a Persian, with, a REAL LOT of moxie
. Was he a rescue or did he come from a breeder? I am only asking, because, if, Buddy came from a breeder, then, I would love a cat from her "line". Plus, Buddy, is so handsome, I could just "eat him up".

Last edited:

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

My Persian boy is definitely not dumb, nor is he a "lump"  Of my 3 cats....he is the one that will "open a can of whoop ass" on the others if they bother him....and he is the youngest of the three.  He is the sneaky one of the three....gets into stuff, but does it when you are not looking, and then puts on the total innocent look, like "I didn't do that".  He is very loving and affectionate, and is not shy around strangers.  Both he and the Himmie can jump pretty much anywhere they want to go....and go flying up the cat tree that is almost 8 ft tall.  Are they as smart or as agile as the Siamese boy....no way, but he is pretty much off the continuum in terms of smart.

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know Angel Buddy is loving the appreciation!   I'm not sure if the breeder still exists I got him from but I'll PM you.

HaleyDiva, your cats are beautiful!   I can tell your Persian boy has some fire to him like my Buddy did.  Maybe there are breeders out there who have boring Persians, but they don't have to be.