i am a vegetarian.. and want help in feeding raw

cwit enzel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
helloo i found a kitten about 4 months old... i have been feeding her dry and wet packed food ( royal canins), best kitten food available in india. I know its not good enough for her, hence want to try feeding her raw meat. but the problem is my family is strictly pure vegetarian, i haven't even touched an egg, so please someone help me. can i feed her raw chicken? Which part/organ of the chicken should i give her? can i give her whole raw eggs?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is so good of you to want to feed your cat the best food possible--raw.

There are several people on this forum who are vegetarians or vegans.

A kitten she should eat as much as she wants, but I would limit/eliminate the dry food.  It may make it easier for kitty to transition to raw.

Yes you can feed your kitten raw chicken, all parts (dark and light meat).  The most important organ is liver, plus a secreting organ like kidney, and some bone.  But really if you can get a whole chicken, feed your cat all the organs. 

You can fed her raw egg yolks; if you fed egg whites, they should be lightly scrambled (has to do with avidin binding biotin; when scrambled, avidin becomes somewhat inert).

It is important that you feed more than one source of meat/protein.  What other meats can you buy in India?

PS:  never ever feed a cat cooked bones.

For additional information, see this article or go to www.catcentric.org.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think sheep and goat meat are fairly common in India? So, yeah, if you can get a good variety of chicken, mutton, fish, eggs, and goat, I think you could provide a very good diet. Make friends with the meat seller, ask for the parts humans don't usually like to eat, such as kidney, liver, heart, whatever meat scraps are left over; maybe you can get a discounted price. Keep fish to once a week. You could probably give one egg yolk a day, but 2-3 times a week is fine, too.

The basic rule of thumb is 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other organ (like kidney or sweetbreads, heart counts as meat, not organ). But 10% bone is too much for some kitties, so just go with what your kitty does best on (look in the litterbox---if her poop is good, not too soft or too hard, it's a good amount of bone for her). The bones need to be very small bones, like chicken ribs or the small part of the wings. If you can get meat animals like rabbits or cavies, their smaller bones are a good choice, too.

Make sure your family is OK with this! They might not like finding meat near their food.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cwit enzel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is so good of you to want to feed your cat the best food possible--raw.

There are several people on this forum who are vegetarians or vegans.

A kitten she should eat as much as she wants, but I would limit/eliminate the dry food.  It may make it easier for kitty to transition to raw.

Yes you can feed your kitten raw chicken, all parts (dark and light meat).  The most important organ is liver, plus a secreting organ like kidney, and some bone.  But really if you can get a whole chicken, feed your cat all the organs. 

You can fed her raw egg yolks; if you fed egg whites, they should be lightly scrambled (has to do with avidin binding biotin; when scrambled, avidin becomes somewhat inert).

It is important that you feed more than one source of meat/protein.  What other meats can you buy in India?

PS:  never ever feed a cat cooked bones.

For additional information, see this article or go to www.catcentric.org.
goats meat is also available, but i want to start with chicken. once i am comfortable with seeing red flesh, i would give her other varieties. thats ok ryt?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on how long you intend to stay with chicken. A month is OK---that's commonly recommended just to get the cat used to eating raw. You could probably stretch it out to 2 months. . .but she really needs variety in her diet, especially being a growing kitten.

But the most important thing is the organs and bones in the right amount. Not just chicken meat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cwit enzel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i got her chicken... and egg yolk.. she jus loved it.. m so happy... tx guys