Hypothetical question?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
So I was just thinking and reading a bit about tnr and a thought came to my mind.

What happens if a cat can't be returned due to safety concerns?( high crime etc.) Do they just euthanize them? What do they do?

Also a hypothetical scenario, a cat colony in a residential area that is bought by a developer, it is now too dangerous due to construction equipment and construction work.

Another hypothetical scenario, a tnr colony is sudenly dissapearing because of people purposly killing them in a high crime area. Or cult activity.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Each and every one of those hypothetical questions has a whole sub-set of associated issues/conditions that could apply. I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all answer to any of them. They are too generic in nature to try to suggest there is a specific answer.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I'm late here, but wanted to comment;
What happens if a cat can't be returned due to safety concerns?
In your last two hypothetical scenarios, many colonies have been successfully relocated to safer areas.

In the first scenario, if there is any possibility at all that the cat might be brought inside, worked with and tamed, and adopted, that's the option taken. If the cat is considered to be truly feral with an accompanying hatred of humans, it might be euthanized, unless there's a chance of making it a barn cat somewhere safer.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry for the double post, but then, there's this 💗

year ago I tried very hard to get a 7yr old TNR feral into the sanctuary or a working cat program but no one would take him- he was completely anti social and very aggressive towards other cats- so I took him in myself- into my multi cat household of 4 residents - proving yet again that ANY kitty can be reconditioned into a wonderful housecat- his name is Timmy and he dragged me out of retirement and got himself a forever home( my home).:it was disappointing after 4 decades of helping so many organizations that there was no help for Timmy & I and so I found TCS

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Not very good with hypothetical scenarios especially because it would greatly depend on the organizations or individuals that were involved

Personally and individually I don't believe there's any cat that cannot be reconditioned - ferals are not another species ,they are not " wild" animals - they are simply in a wild state,the only difference between a feral and a housecat is behavior- they are domestic animals for thousands of years, it's in their DNA

The problems we face are facilities to house them ( no kill shelters/sanctuaries)once they are captured ,them theres expenses and most of all the time to recondition or relocate.....I've captured many an entire colony in the past 4 decades and relocated them as working cats only because I'm only one person and there's not enough hours in a day to socialize these animals and ready them for adoption because they require individual attention- not enough volunteers,so many factors

Now if you're talking about Animal Control they'd likely be euthanized-even relocation takes time,they need to be contained at the new location for at least 30 days prior to release or take the risk of them fleeing in search of their familiar territory-so everything requires $$$ ,blood ,sweat n tears......I remember days having a dozen barns go to setting up crates and enclosures for newly captured ferals - it all cost money too

It's sad because it's a real problem- especially in South Florida ,everyone is moving to Florida & they are building on every strip of space you can imagine- there's no place for critters even if they are being fed and nuetered,highways,byways,Condos....it's a mess