Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Recovery - Breakthrough

sacatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all

In November 2016 I signed up to this site to get advice about my cat who was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. He was given 3-6 months to live. Now, 15 months later, he is still with us. He had an echocardiogram last November and amazingly, his scans showed a totally normal heart!!! The vets say they've never seen this. Myself and all the vets were completely perplexed and shocked. They started weaning him off all drugs since then, he is now only on Fortekor and a potassium supplement for his kidneys. Last month, my vet called me up to tell me about a study that was released - Transient Mycocardial Thickening. A disease which presents as full blown HCM but where the cat recovers in a couple of months. This is really a breakthrough! The study basically shows that a stressful event two weeks prior triggers the heart to thicken and appear to be failing, but which later recovers. This obviously isnt the true in all cases, but it means something for how a vet and pet owners react when confronted with an HCM situation.

I looked back in my calendar to two weeks before kitty fell ill, and the stressful event I identified was that we had him kennelled for a week for a work trip hubby and I went on. Its actually exactly two weeks prior which is what that study presents. This wasn't his first time being kennelled - he had been a few months earlier for three whole weeks, so we are wondering if his kennelling really did trigger it. The vet says that the adrenalin of being stressed at the kennels must have done it. It seems to be the only explanation. The kennel where we has him is probably the best one in our town!

While we are very happy (understatement), this leaves us in a difficult situation. Can we ever kennel him again? My question: What can I do to prevent boarding related stress, besides the usual (taking along owners clothes/towel etc)? Is there medication (that actually works) I can put him on that will calm the adrenalin surges to prevent this happening once again? Does anyone have any good suggestions for limiting boarding stress? He is a very shy and anxious cat under the best of circumstances.

Attachments

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So pleased to hear you have had a happy outcome!

Is there any chance you could get a pet sitter to stay in your house while you are away? Cats tend to be more disturbed by being removed from their territory rather than have their human away for a bit, so a pet sitter/house sitter is preferable if possible.

(I've had a friend stay at my place and care for my cats while I have been away for a couple of days, worked well).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sacatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve considered a pet sitter but they’re quite hard to come by, and I’m thinking of what I should do in the event of not being able to find a pet sitter.