Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (hcm) Advice

Sabrina17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

My 6 year old cat was diagnosed with HCM in January of 2016. In September of this year (2017), I decided to put her on atenolol. About a week ago, she fainted and I took her up to the animal emergency hospital. She was then put on furosemide (.7 ML twice a day), enalapril (2.5 mg twice a day), and she still is on atenolol (12.5 mg twice a day). I've since put her on a high protein, weight loss food (Blue Buffalo).

I'd really like to hear other member's experience with HCM and I am taking all the advice I can get. Does anyone know of a safe way to help her lose weight given her condition?

Thank you so much!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish I could help you, but I have no experience with HCM. I hope someone will be along to help you soon.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

My 6 year old cat was diagnosed with HCM in January of 2016. In September of this year (2017), I decided to put her on atenolol. About a week ago, she fainted and I took her up to the animal emergency hospital. She was then put on furosemide (.7 ML twice a day), enalapril (2.5 mg twice a day), and she still is on atenolol (12.5 mg twice a day). I've since put her on a high protein, weight loss food (Blue Buffalo).

I'd really like to hear other member's experience with HCM and I am taking all the advice I can get. Does anyone know of a safe way to help her lose weight given her condition?

Thank you so much!
We have had 2 precious cats with HCM in the past. They did not require a weight-loss diet; but if your girl does, her vet should be the one to prescribe a safe diet. Of course dieting ideally involves eating healthy food, but lessening the amount. A cat must eat every day to maintain her health. Make sure she drinks water and eats the highest quality food you can give her, and I would definitely consult with her vet before putting her on a diet.