Hyperthyroidism.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
We are going through this with our cat Simba, if we took him to the vet at age 22, 23, maybe older we don't know exactly how old but he would have a heart attack, so we ordered Hyperthyroid supplement from Best Life 4 Pets, a holistic supplement. There also is also Thyroid Support Gold by Pet Wellbeing, they both get good reviews and you don't need a vet or a prescription for them, just Google them and you will see them.

Best of luck with your cat!!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I use felimazole for kabuto and it has made a huge difference for him. He looks like a different cat now.

Iodine therapy is another option people have had luck with on here. Kabuto was not a good candidate for it though because of his heart. I also can't aford it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Honeybee2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are going through this with our cat Simba, if we took him to the vet at age 22, 23, maybe older we don't know exactly how old but he would have a heart attack, so we ordered Hyperthyroid supplement from Best Life 4 Pets, a holistic supplement. There also is also Thyroid Support Gold by Pet Wellbeing, they both get good reviews and you don't need a vet or a prescription for them, just Google them and you will see them.

Best of luck with your cat!!
Thank you, is this working on Simba? How much does it cost. My cat is a feral so it will be impossible to give a pill??

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You may or maynot have luck hiding a pill or crushing it in the food. Would not recommend though if you have vermin or other cats

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, is this working on Simba? How much does it cost. My cat is a feral so it will be impossible to give a pill??
We didn't get it yet, it should be here in a few days. It was $33.99 online, the Pet Wellbeing one is more expensive. The pills they say are odorless and tasteless so you should be able to easily mix it in with some food.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she has access to outdoors, don't bother with the diet. The cat would need to eat only that, not even treats, for it to work, and you wouldn't be able to control that.
I haven't seen any science to back up the holistic remedies either.

You can look into getting her surgery, or radioactive iodine therapy. Those are more expensive, but it's more of a one time thing, with a follow-up test.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Thank you for your reply. I would use the meds u mention but vet wont prescribe unless I go every few months for recheck. Is there anything I can use without prescription?
Hi we are in similar boats. My 16 year old cat was just diagnosed with hyperthyroid. She won't eat though that's a larger problem. We are giving her the tablets but it's a struggle to get them in. The vet said if we really having a hard time we could do the transdermal stuff which is a bit more expensive and not as reliable. I guess you don't get as even of a dose. I think the checkups are required until the cat is stabilized on a good dose. I know that surgery can be an option in some cases with cats but for cats the age of ours I don't think it is.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The vet said if we really having a hard time we could do the transdermal stuff which is a bit more expensive and not as reliable. I guess you don't get as even of a dose.
We used the transdermal gel form of Methimazole because our cat was difficult to pill but didn't mind the ear gel. Actually it is better in some ways than the oral form because the pill can cause gastrointestinal upset in some cats. As far as the dose, it is premeasured according to the compounding pharmacy's instructions so we had no issues getting an even dose. I understand not wanting to pursue the I-131 radioactive iodine treatment due to your cat's age or pre-existing conditions which may not make her a good candidate. We ended up going with the I-131 because our cat was younger, i.e. 11 yrs. old at the time and he showed no other organ involvement on his tests and x-rays. It's a very difficult decision to make and especially where our fur babies are concerned. :lovecat:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing with the gel is you MUST wear gloves when aplying it or it can give you hypothyroidism. Just be super careful with it.

Kabuto was not a good candiate for iodine treatment either because his heart is bad.

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please know that you have another option besides the pills. There is a treatment called I-131 (Radioactive Iodine shot). It's not cheap, but they measure the size of the tumor give them one shot and then they have to stay in the hospital until the radiation in their pee drops to an acceptable level. 1 shot, 1 time....5-7 day hospital stay. 98% CURED rate.

Not all vet place can do this, it is nuclear medicine. So you may have to look around. My Onyx could not take the pills....there can be some bad side effects to the pills, and my Onyx had them. At it's worst my Onyx went from eating one (1) can of wet food a day to four + cans a day and was still losing weight. I'm about 50 miles outside of Boston and got her the I-131 at Angell Memorial Hospital. I brought her in on a Monday morning, they x-ray'd her and measured the tumor. Gave her the shot the next day and then she just had to hang out in a dog free environment. I got the call on Fri and picked her up the next morning. 3-4 months later we followed up with a blood (T4) check. And she was cured. Ok....the cost was $3000, but no pills, no more vet visits.... cured. That was 5 years ago too.