Hyperthyroidism

Colleen 326

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Daisy has hyperthyroidism, she is now 25yrs old. She had a UTI, i had to tell the vet this and to check her urine! She was bleeding, that's how i knew. My question is, she's on Clavamox, and she's sneezing all over the place. Is there something I can do for her. She HAD an upper respiratory infection she always had stuff in her eyes, I'd clean it. Should i worry about her sneezing?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS Colleen. Wow, your Daisy is very old for a cat.

Did she have a blood test with the T4 addon? Is she eating and drinking more but losing weight anyway and very playful? If not, the vet has no reason to suspect it is hyperthyroidism. A urinalysis does not diagnose HT.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m assuming the hyperthyroidism and UTI are separate problems. Also that she’s being treated for the thyroid problem. I don’t think the UTI is related to the hyperthyroidism. You don’t need too adjust her thyroid meds or the antibiotic dose.

Good luck with Daisy. She’s obviously well taken care of.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The sneezing could also be feline herpes.
God bless your kitty and you! 25 is an amazing age for a cat.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Colleen 326 and welcome to the forum !
...she's sneezing all over the place. Is there something I can do for her....she always had stuff in her eyes...Should i worry about her sneezing?
It sounds to me (and Timmer Timmer too) that Feline Herpes is 'at work'....and, has been, given the eye discharge.

That kind of sneezing would, understandably be debilitating for her and undermining her recovery from the UTI. If there were a bacterial infection behind it, the Clavamox would also deal with it.

Herpes can come and go (as you probably know), and it's most often stoked by stress...this time perhaps by UTI pain and the vet visit. The safest, simplest solution is to give something that prevents the herpesvirus from replicating, thereby extinguishing the outbreak. Most experienced people use L-lysine for this. Here's a plain-language, reliable tidbit on that: Harpsie's Website - cat flu (FVR and calici virus). [for more info on Herpes and other treatments, just scroll up on that page]

The most effective and simplest-to-use form of L-lysine is powder - capsules of which can be opened and mixed into a tsp of wet food. Here's what I use:
Hope that helps !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Colleen 326

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Did she have a blood test with the T4 addon? Is she eating and drinking more but losing weight anyway and very playful? If not, the vet has no reason to suspect it is hyperthyroidism. A urinalysis does not diagnose HT.

Colleen 326

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism years ago, every 6 months i get her checked to make sure meds are doing what they're supposed to be doing. Daisy doesn't play anymore, she's always been a lap cat! She comes to me every morning at 5am to lay on me. After that, she'll leave then come back at 9am to tell me it's time to eat! My other 3 cats are males and every one gets along very well. However, sometimes one of the boys will see her peering down the hall, cause she's deaf, do she's afraid because they swat at her inn passing! Too funny, i love my babies! Those are my children, i have no real children.

Colleen 326

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Colleen 326 and welcome to the forum !

It sounds to me (and Timmer Timmer too) that Feline Herpes is 'at work'....and, has been, given the eye discharge.

That kind of sneezing would, understandably be debilitating for her and undermining her recovery from the UTI. If there were a bacterial infection behind it, the Clavamox would also deal with it.

Herpes can come and go (as you probably know), and it's most often stoked by stress...this time perhaps by UTI pain and the vet visit. The safest, simplest solution is to give something that prevents the herpesvirus from replicating, thereby extinguishing the outbreak. Most experienced people use L-lysine for this. Here's a plain-language, reliable tidbit on that: Harpsie's Website - cat flu (FVR and calici virus). [for more info on Herpes and other treatments, just scroll up on that page]

The most effective and simplest-to-use form of L-lysine is powder - capsules of which can be opened and mixed into a tsp of wet food. Here's what I use:
Hope that helps !
well thank you so much for this information! She looks so much better these days! She's gaining weight cause i give her lots of treats!

Colleen 326

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate all of your replies! Thank you all so much, it's wonderful to know there are people out here who really care! I try to save as many as i can. Where i live, there are so many feral cats just walking around. I trapped them, get them spayed or neutered, then release them back into the community where everyone cares for them!