Hyperthyroidism

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat, Arthur (named after my dad) has HT. He had been on 1/4 tab methimazole once a day.

Well, he has been vomiting all his food within the last week or so. It started occassionally, but now it's pretty much after every meal. I think he eats too much too fast. But 1/4 tab just isn't doing the job. He is getting thinner.

Anyone with a HT cat have this prob? I ran into it with my last HT cat years ago. I just need some reassuring, I guess.

Keep Arthur in your thoughts today at 3:30. He is a sweet old man.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish everything was just plain cut and dry. I heard someone vomiting and ran and saw it was Jane, not Arthur. It looks like the same MO as the other vomit. Very watery wet food. So, I ASSUMED it was Arthur, but now I am not so sure.

Janes demeanor is very good. In fact she was just seen about a month ago for a senior visit. However, he did not do any bloodwork. Kinda disappointed there. Actually stupid, I should have told him to! UGH!

Well, Jane will have to wait till Tuesday when my reg vet comes back. I still think Arthur is in more need of a vet visit, but will definately keep my eye on Jane too. If she gets any kind of worse, she will go in too!

We can go for months without any vet bills, and then.......WAM!!

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll think of both your senior cats
I like their names - They have a seniorish ring to 'em

Gramma Jane

Grampa Arthur

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What mg is the methimazole Arthur is on? With HT kitties it's often a see saw game for the first year or so. They're numbers will go high and then low when started on medication. Probably a good idea to get his T4 rechecked and see where you are. Oh and there is a medication called felimazole (same thing, slightly different formation), but the pills are much MUCH smaller and coated so they're easier to get down. However, then only come in 2.5mg and 5mg tablets for now. Most kitties tolerate them much better.

And for your other senior baby BW is probably a good idea, just to make sure her kidneys or doing okay.

Best of luck with both your oldies, ! Oh the joys of kitty mommy hood,

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

I'll think of both your senior cats
I like their names - They have a seniorish ring to 'em

Gramma Jane

Grampa Arthur
Well, Arthur was my dad and he was a grampa! Thanks for the thoughts

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

What mg is the methimazole Arthur is on? With HT kitties it's often a see saw game for the first year or so. They're numbers will go high and then low when started on medication. Probably a good idea to get his T4 rechecked and see where you are. Oh and there is a medication called felimazole (same thing, slightly different formation), but the pills are much MUCH smaller and coated so they're easier to get down. However, then only come in 2.5mg and 5mg tablets for now. Most kitties tolerate them much better.

And for your other senior baby BW is probably a good idea, just to make sure her kidneys or doing okay.

Best of luck with both your oldies, ! Oh the joys of kitty mommy hood,
This is the only time they haven't written the mg, but it usually is 5mg. Arthur takes his meds good. I put them in those hairball remedy treats. They are really soft and the 1/4 pill is so darn small, he just wolfs it down. I will ask about the Felimazole.

What is BW? Honestly, for some reason, its harder to be a kitty mommy. Kids can at least tell you what is wrong!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BW is BLOODWORK! How dumb am I?

Crazy day here!!

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BW = bloodwork.

And yes, it sounds like everyone needs a trip to the vet for some. WHAM!

We had a hyperthyroid cat for years, Chloe, controlled on varying doses of methimazole. She had tests 3 or 4 times a year. She was thin but otherwise well. And, yes, she threw up nearly every day but that is not a symptom of this illness as far as I know. She ate quickly, like yours, which was part of the problem, and we couldn't find any other real cause.

The weird thing was, she'd usually wait until I was on the phone with a client and THEN she'd walk over to my desk and make sure to throw up loudly right there! I began to think it was a means of self expression. She was my husband's cat before we got together. In fact, I had encouraged him to get a cat, back when we were just work acquaintances, because he liked them so much and I knew he'd take good care of one. But she never felt she owed me a thing....

She lived to 18-1/2 and had been hyperthyroid for about 6 years. Died of kidney issues, unrelated. Your cat can a live long, happy life with this, never fear!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bunnelina

BW = bloodwork.

And yes, it sounds like everyone needs a trip to the vet for some. WHAM!

We had a hyperthyroid cat for years, Chloe, controlled on varying doses of methimazole. She had tests 3 or 4 times a year. She was thin but otherwise well. And, yes, she threw up nearly every day but that is not a symptom of this illness as far as I know. She ate quickly, like yours, which was part of the problem, and we couldn't find any other real cause.

The weird thing was, she'd usually wait until I was on the phone with a client and THEN she'd walk over to my desk and make sure to throw up loudly right there! I began to think it was a means of self expression. She was my husband's cat before we got together. In fact, I had encouraged him to get a cat, back when we were just work acquaintances, because he liked them so much and I knew he'd take good care of one. But she never felt she owed me a thing....

She lived to 18-1/2 and had been hyperthyroid for about 6 years. Died of kidney issues, unrelated. Your cat can a live long, happy life with this, never fear!
As does everyone, I get so stressed when my guys are under the weather. I'd rather it be me! Lovely visual of the cat vomiting by the phone!
I think I would rattle pans or something to drown out the noise!

Lets hope Arthur and Jane are going to be ok. I wish that for everyone here all the time. Art is only 10. He ventured out in the cat enlosure. Watching birds and squirrls at the moment! 18.5. To be proud of.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Sending lots of good thoughts for Arthur and Jane.

Cotton's my Hyper-T kitty and I was just thinking he should have his T4 rechecked today (just in case), so I feel your pain. It can take awhile to get their levels stable with the meds.

One of my colleagues had a Hyper-T cat who went on to live 13 years after her diagnosis at 9, so I take that as a good sign.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms. Freya

Sending lots of good thoughts for Arthur and Jane.

Cotton's my Hyper-T kitty and I was just thinking he should have his T4 rechecked today (just in case), so I feel your pain. It can take awhile to get their levels stable with the meds.

One of my colleagues had a Hyper-T cat who went on to live 13 years after her diagnosis at 9, so I take that as a good sign.
This is the first time for med adjustment. He was diagnosed in Oct or Nov. I just didn't think 1/4 tab was working anymore. In the beginning he was mildly HT so 1/4 did the job. It's good to hear these HT cats are living the usual length for a kitty.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

This is the only time they haven't written the mg, but it usually is 5mg. Arthur takes his meds good. I put them in those hairball remedy treats. They are really soft and the 1/4 pill is so darn small, he just wolfs it down. I will ask about the Felimazole.

What is BW? Honestly, for some reason, its harder to be a kitty mommy. Kids can at least tell you what is wrong!
Hair ball remedy interferes with absorption of both food nutrients and medicines, so this is not a good idea at all.

I agree with the others that blood work should be done on both cats, complete senior panels. A cat on methimazole for thyroid should be having blood work every four months.

but you really do need to find a different way to give the med. Hairball remedy should always be given on an empty stomach at least an hour before a meal, and even longer, before any meds.

Keep us posted on how they are both doing.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gracie is our hyperthyroid cat and she was doing the same thing while on Methimazole-turns out she was allergic to it-so may be the case for you too! I would talk to the vet about it and see what they say because there are other drugs he could take that may be just as effective. Although none of them worked for Gracie and she ended up having a Thyroidectomy back in Dec. 2008 she has held her own until a few weeks ago, we are still trying to figure out what is wrong with her as she acts like she did right before being diagnosed Hyperthyroid.

I hope all gets better soon for both your "senior citizens"!

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jazz had HT and took the same medicine as Arthur. She would throw up all the time. Finally she had the radioactive iodine shot and has been fine ever since. (this was about 5 years ago)

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had the funds for the shot. I'd do it in a minute. Now I am not so sure it is Arthur throwing up. Honestly, it is so hard to find out these things when you have 7 cats.

His thyroid was normal. So I am thinking since he is eating wet food he is loosing wt. I am feeding him more often now, but he has a vet appointment for June 10 to have a serum chem done.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck - would the operation not be something you could consider? My new vet told me something I never knew when I took Sam, that meds only tend to buy them 3 years - although reading these posts, that might not be the case. The meds seem to be differnet in the UK than the US though, over here you aren't supposed to split or crush the tablets, as they not only can cause thyroid issues in us, but they make the tablets less effective.