hyperthyroidism prognosis?

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Fellow Cat Lovers....our wonderful Sheldon had just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism due to enlarged thyroid glands. He's about 12 years old. He has been prescribed methimazole. What is the average life expectancy? I have read some articles that say about 2 years and others that say cats can have a normal life expectancy. What's been your personal experience or if you links to good information that would be great! Thanks.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Depending on his T-4 levels and your vet's recommendation the I-131 Radioactive Iodine treatment is the best therapy with the highest success rate. There are several ongoing threads that have recently been posted for your reference:
Hyperthyroidism advice
Hyperthyroidism in Feeby - Questions
Hyperthyroid cat,methimazole and I131 treatment

ETA: Sorry I didn't see that Sheldon is already on Methimazole. Our cat was diagnosed a little over a month ago and is on the transdermal gel form of it. He's already had a recheck of his bloodwork and the Methimazole brought his levels down so that is encouraging. I plan to do the I-131 treatment eventually but have to save up for it first.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't listen too much to life expectancy reports. Your boy should live naturally to 15 or 16, that is when my elderly cats have died, those that live longer are the exception, like humans who reach 100. Getting it late in life, in my opinion, gives him a better chance to live longer. My cats were diagnosed with leukemia almost two years ago and we were told the sickest would go 'at any time'. he was that bad. They are still going strong with no illnesses since, against all odds. I give them DMG and LifeGold both on Amazon. you might research some supplements too, but make sure you clear it with your vet so it doesn't interfere with the medication. We had no medication available to treat leukemia.
So just take it one day at a time, take time out to enjoy what time you have left. You are doing all you can by following the vet's orders, so now it is up to your boy.....I'll keep him in my prayers that I have for my own.....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is included in the above links provided by neely neely , but I cannot impress upon you enough the cruciality of making sure Sheldon's methimazole dosage is not too high to start off with, and that he is initially routinely re-checked often to see how the meds are lowering his T-4. What was his T4 number? And, what is his current dosage?

Also, included in the links above is a forum I would recommend you join (for free) and give them details about Sheldon's condition. They have been very helpful to me! There are a number of threads on that site that you might also find to be of benefit in terms of gaining knowledge about H-T (hyperthyroidism): [email protected] | Home

As far as life expectancy, I have not seen any real reliable information about how H-T affects it. As the tumor grows, the H-T meds will have to be increased, so continual monitoring will be going on with Sheldon, and anything that crops up as a result of this disease (or, any other unrelated issues) would likely be caught early-on and can be addressed as they do. As neely neely said, the best option - once you read up on it is the radio-iodine treatment which essentially eradicates the tumor and eliminates the need for H-T meds. Also in the links above, is another web site where you can find a wealth of information about H-T and the radio-iodine treatment: Animal Endocrine Clinic | Where science and compassion cure

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Fiona herself was on Felimazole for about 3 years. She passed at 16 years old. However, I encourage you to follow the above advice and even to consider the RI treatment if it would work for you and your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your information and reply. We are in shock. Sheldon is about 9 years old and we are hoping for another 6 to 10 years or purrfurably forever.

Our wonderful vet wasn't keen on the radioactive iodine. he found that after having the treatment the cats needed replacement thyroid. i was wondering for other people who have had cats go through this Rx if after they also had to do the replacement hormone?

thanks again!

Depending on his T-4 levels and your vet's recommendation the I-131 Radioactive Iodine treatment is the best therapy with the highest success rate. There are several ongoing threads that have recently been posted for your reference:
Hyperthyroidism advice
Hyperthyroidism in Feeby - Questions
Hyperthyroid cat,methimazole and I131 treatment

ETA: Sorry I didn't see that Sheldon is already on Methimazole. Our cat was diagnosed a little over a month ago and is on the transdermal gel form of it. He's already had a recheck of his bloodwork and the Methimazole brought his levels down so that is encouraging. I plan to do the I-131 treatment eventually but have to save up for it first.

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for your information and kind thoughts.

I wouldn't listen too much to life expectancy reports. Your boy should live naturally to 15 or 16, that is when my elderly cats have died, those that live longer are the exception, like humans who reach 100. Getting it late in life, in my opinion, gives him a better chance to live longer. My cats were diagnosed with leukemia almost two years ago and we were told the sickest would go 'at any time'. he was that bad. They are still going strong with no illnesses since, against all odds. I give them DMG and LifeGold both on Amazon. you might research some supplements too, but make sure you clear it with your vet so it doesn't interfere with the medication. We had no medication available to treat leukemia.
So just take it one day at a time, take time out to enjoy what time you have left. You are doing all you can by following the vet's orders, so now it is up to your boy.....I'll keep him in my prayers that I have for my own.....

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you.....Sheldon's T-4 was 143 nmol/L with the normal range being 10 to 60. He weighs 8 lbs 12 oz and is about 9 years old and is just so cute and lovable. Thanks for the great info. I have a lot more reading to do.

Hi. It is included in the above links provided by neely neely , but I cannot impress upon you enough the cruciality of making sure Sheldon's methimazole dosage is not too high to start off with, and that he is initially routinely re-checked often to see how the meds are lowering his T-4. What was his T4 number? And, what is his current dosage?

Also, included in the links above is a forum I would recommend you join (for free) and give them details about Sheldon's condition. They have been very helpful to me! There are a number of threads on that site that you might also find to be of benefit in terms of gaining knowledge about H-T (hyperthyroidism): [email protected] | Home

As far as life expectancy, I have not seen any real reliable information about how H-T affects it. As the tumor grows, the H-T meds will have to be increased, so continual monitoring will be going on with Sheldon, and anything that crops up as a result of this disease (or, any other unrelated issues) would likely be caught early-on and can be addressed as they do. As neely neely said, the best option - once you read up on it is the radio-iodine treatment which essentially eradicates the tumor and eliminates the need for H-T meds. Also in the links above, is another web site where you can find a wealth of information about H-T and the radio-iodine treatment: Animal Endocrine Clinic | Where science and compassion cure

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism about 2 weeks ago, about same age and size as your cat. She has early kidney disease. If her numbers look good with the methimazole ear gel, my plan is to get the radioiodine treatment for her. The risk of needing replacement thyroid hormones is pretty low from what I have read, and it is a matter of replacing some of what should be there, instead of trying to compensate for a progressing deterioration with methimazole. I would ask another vet about their opinion regarding the radioiodine therapy as an option just to get more info for yourself. The prognosis is longer with iodine therapy than medication alone.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To add to the above - some of the responses that were added here were apparently lost in the data center fire that ruined the TCS server - if there is no long term 'overdose' of H-T meds that can cause hyPOthyroidism, then hormone therapy is not needed. The same is true for the radio-iodine treatment - which a scintigraphy is a MUST. This will help determine what the correct dosage of radio-iodine is appropriate and help to preclude an overdose which can also cause hyPOthyroidism - ultimately needing hormone treatment. This was very well explained by Antonio65 Antonio65 before this site went down, and apparently was one of many posts that were lost in the site recovery process.