Hyperthyroidism -- Nervous Cat And Radioactive Iodine Therapy (i-131)

mysugarcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and his thyroid levels are currently normal thanks to methimazole. But methimazole, unfortunately, does not provide a permanent cure and could have side-effects, or it could one day stop being effective depending on the cat. This is why I am considering radioactive iodine therapy (I-131).

I know that radioactive iodine therapy is the best treatment for hyperthyroidism, since it provides a cure, however I have read posts from people whose cats died after I-131. These cats did have other problems such as those associated with the heart and kidneys, and thankfully my cat does not (blood test and EKG proved that he is fine in this area), but I am still heavily conflicted about this treatment due to my cat's extreme nervous nature in unfamiliar environments.

My cat cannot handle car rides and confined spaces -- being in the car even with his carrier door open for literally TWO minutes drives my cat crazy. He yowls to the point of panting. When he went to get his EKG, he yelled as if he were in a cat fight and got aggressive with the vet staff. He only calmed down slightly when the vet allowed me in the room to calm him down. The EKG was non-invasive and took less than 15 minutes. At home, he is very relaxed and loving.

Knowing the above information, would you still reccomend my cat undergo I-131 treatment? The treatment would require him to be confined in a small space in a hospital for 4-7 days without any visitation. The hospital is a 45 minute car ride away. I feel that all of the stress might put too much pressure on his heart and ruin his appetite. I'm just imagining him yowling for hours in his cage.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had the I-131 treatment done years ago on my Hyperthyroid cat who was 13 at the time. It was one of the best decisions I ever made for her. She had a very calm demeanor though.

What I would do is call the facility where you are considering having the treatment done. Tell them your concerns; ask their opinions. I am sure with all the cats that have this treatment, not all are calm. Perhaps they can give a mild sedative for nervous cats. Ask them about their experience with nervous, high strung cats. What do they do for them? How is the treatment regimen any different? How do they fare being hospitalized there in a small space. I think this is the best way to answer your questions and allay any concerns. I called the place I was considering prior to the procedure and they were very helpful in answering all my questions.

It is good that your cat does not have heart or kidney issues at this time. That would likely rule him out for this procedure. That was one of the first questions they asked about my cat. So if you can get satisfactory answers regarding the nerves issue, I would go ahead with it while your cat still has good heart and kidney values. Hope this helps your decision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysugarcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the I-131 treatment done years ago on my Hyperthyroid cat who was 13 at the time. It was one of the best decisions I ever made for her. She had a very calm demeanor though.

What I would do is call the facility where you are considering having the treatment done. Tell them your concerns; ask their opinions. I am sure with all the cats that have this treatment, not all are calm. Perhaps they can give a mild sedative for nervous cats. Ask them about their experience with nervous, high strung cats. What do they do for them? How is the treatment regimen any different? How do they fare being hospitalized there in a small space. I think this is the best way to answer your questions and allay any concerns. I called the place I was considering prior to the procedure and they were very helpful in answering all my questions.

It is good that your cat does not have heart or kidney issues at this time. That would likely rule him out for this procedure. That was one of the first questions they asked about my cat. So if you can get satisfactory answers regarding the nerves issue, I would go ahead with it while your cat still has good heart and kidney values. Hope this helps your decision.
Thanks for your response! Yes, I do think it's better to do the procedure earlier than later, because if he in the future develops kidney/heart issues, it would no longer be safe for him to do I-131. I'll call the treatment facility (AVMI) later today to ask for opinions. I hope they won't have to rely on anesthesia to calm my cat down :( . I am not willing to take the risks associated with that. My poor boy has been high strung since he was a kitten (14-15 years ago). As a kitten, he was in a car full of other kittens on the way to get spayed and neutered, and he was the only one yowling non-stop in the car!