Hyperthyroid

DT83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hunter is 15 and having a rough time, he was recently diagnosed with a hyper thyroid, the first vet also mentioned a mass in his abdomen but he was very vague and really pushed for the surgery for the thyroid, which we did not want to do. Hunter went from pills, to liquid, currently on methimazole Gel. Along with other meds, anti-nausea, priobiotc and and We have also provided with him with fluids. Hunters health is failing, he was a 18 lb Maine Coon and now about 9 lbs which is crazy frail. I’m worried I’m going to hurt him. A month or two ago we switched vets and she immediately knew the mass was an issue and we did an X-ray but she wanted to follow up with a ultrasound and mentioned chemo as a possibility, I declined this as well but I’m having second thoughts, it was around 900 dollars or so and all the expenses that follow. I’m wondering if Hunter is beyond that point, I don’t want him to suffer. Last we checked the blood work was fine and no issues with the thyroid so the culprit has to be that mass. But is it worth it to do an ultrasound and possibly need chemo or surgery? I feel that is a lot to put his body through to maybe only extend it for so long. This is a tough time, my wife and I got our first place together and we got Hunter that Winter almost 15 years ago. Hunter health is just on the decline no matter what we have tried. Has anyone experienced these issues? Hunter is eating and drinking but he sure can’t make it to litterbox the majority of the time. I contacted the vet but of course she is out of the office so I’ll have to touch base with another dr but it’s so hard to talk out loud about this without breaking. It’s just tough when I feel like I failed ulimtately for Hunter. At the same time I want to do right by Hunter even if it results in euthanizing my little guy.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the hyperthyroidism completely under control with the methimazole, according to the blood work? There is a much better option than surgery for the thyroid, which is radioactive iodine treatment. It's very safe and effective, but also expensive. The thyroid is in the throat, though, not the abdomen, so it wouldn't be related to the mass. If the thyroid really is under control with medication, then it sounds like the source of Hunter's problem is the possibly cancerous mass, which I am not as familiar with concerning treatment options. I haven't been through chemo with an animal before, but I'm sure others on this site have. If I'm understanding the situation correctly, you might get more relevant responses if you make a new post asking about chemo. (I have heard that chemo is different for animals than it is for humans because the focus is palliative rather than curative.)

It sounds like you're doing all the right things for Hunter. Sometimes ugly diseases are unavoidable, but you love him and care for him and he's had a rich, full life because of that, whatever the outcome is.

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At least an ultrasound is not invasive and wont hurt your boy. You'll find out how bad the growths are and a recommended course of action will be clearer after that. I like ANYTHING that doesn't cut or drug your pet. Especially if it gives you a better answer.

15 yr old cats usually also have an underlying kidney issue to go along with the hyperthyroid. If the methimazole is working and your cat isn't having any of the side effects his T4 levels will drop and blood work will reveal any existing kidney problems. While the Radioactive Iodine will cure the hyperthyroid it may not be cost effective as any kidney issues will limit your boys good day left. The kidneys actually function BETTER with the HT (hyperthyroid) cat. The HT pills are relatively cheap and if they work on your boy will keep him for burning thru the food he consumes. If he has kidney issues, you can't fix that, just slow its progression down.

My girl Onyx is 5 and has HT. I did the pills just long enough to find out that she has no underlying liver or kidney problems. She is scheduled for the I-131 Iodine treatment in a couple of weeks. Total cost - $2000+. Because of her young age this course makes sense. The other options for HT are surgery (which has many complications), or daily pills and blood tests ......within 3 years that will cost more than the I-131.

Any good pet will eventually break your heart. I'm sorry your going thru all this (we've all been there in one way or another). At a certain point all the poking and prodding just sucks. You wonder if keeping them alive any longer is just selfish. I'm sure Hunter is an AWESOME cat. Help him as much as you can give him love and kisses from me.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Although I'm sorry Hunter's recent diagnosis is what brought you here. I'm glad you joined the forum and hope we can lend our guidance and support. The above members have offered some very helpful advice. In addition, here is a thread that discusses others experience(s) with HT:
Hyperthyroid In My Cat Just Being Diagnosed Worriedi

You have been very diligent in caring for Hunter and I'm sure he has returned the love tenfold. :catlove: I hope your regular vet returns to the office soon since you seem more comfortable with her. Best of luck! Sending special thoughts, please keep us updated on Hunter's progress. :vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DT83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I could have sworn I sent a thank you reply to Molly but I dont believe I saw my reply. But the past few weeks have been trying. I called the vet and I was able to take Hunter that Thursday. The vet was really great but it’s amazing how they will give all the medical options before mentioning quality of life. They mentioned that we could switch to an additional pill (which wouldn’t work for us) this was traumatizing to Hunter as well as us. And mentioned pain shots every three days. I couldn’t put his body through all these trials of meds. His last blood work was fine no signs of kidney issues, or elevated thyroid. I was by myself for the intial exam and mentioned that I couldn’t put him through this so euthanasia was my thought. If Hunter was younger we would have approached but at that point I felt it was time to let our little guy go. Thankfully my wife came in time so we could both be there to let him go. It’s a tough decision, I had real difficulties deciding whether to be there or not. She mentioned that she didn’t want him with strangers and alone, so we both stayed for him but that’s one of the toughest days I’ve experienced. I really appreciate everyone’s input, comfort, and truth! Here’s a picture of Hunter from a few weeks ago. I will feel a lot better once his ashes are returned to us. If my wife had her way he would have been on his was to the taxidermist LoL, but he was so small and frail he went from 18 pounds to 8 on our final visit.

Attachments

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, he was beautiful! I'm so sorry. It sounds like you absolutely made the right choice. You've been through so much, it must have been incredibly difficult. Hunter is resting peacefully now and all of his struggles are over.

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm proud of you for being there in the end....as hard as it is (got me crying now) that's what you have to do. There is no one else the Hunter would have wanted with him to see him out. It's tough, but you'll never regret being there for him.
Untitled.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the update albeit I'm deeply sorry for your loss. :hugs: My sincere and heartfelt sympathies go out to you and your wife. RIP sweet angel. :angel:

If you would like please feel free to write a tribute for Hunter here:
Crossing the Bridge

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DT83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the kind support, it’s much appreciated!! :thanks: