Hyperesthesia Syndrome?

migoto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is this something anyone ever dealt with?

My 1.5 year old male cat Meowbert started showing all the classic signs of Hyperesthesia about a week ago. It started with him and my 8 month old cat Midna fighting out of the blue. She would start chasing after him and claw him relentlessly. Like seriously aggressive, he would be backed in a corner snarling and terrified to death while she pummeled him mercilessly. I tried everything to get them to stop, including separating at the first sign of aggression (usually Midna staring him down), feeding them treats side by side, petting them when they were being good around each other, but for whatever reason Midna would just attack him. I thought it was for no reason, till I noticed Meowbert behaving strangely. The fur on his back would ripple for 1-2 minutes before he started to act agitated and turn to his tail like something was bothering him. He'd also lick his fur obsessively, all over, and keep jumping up and moving a few feet away. But what really shocked me was tonight. I was cooking dinner, and he was acting agitated like his fur was itchy or something. Then he just bolted from one end of the room to the other, looking terrified like something was after him. Just tearing around the room nonstop. When he ran past Midna, she fluffed up and tore after him and they started fighting again. I found Meowbert huddled under my bed with Midna snarling at him.

I figured Midna was attacking him unprovoked, but it looks like every time he has these "episodes", that's why she goes after him. Still not happy with her doing that though and I always separate them right after this happens.

Meowbert is otherwise a healthy adult cat. A little timid and fearful of loud sounds but he's never been neurotic or anything like that. Usually very chill and he sleeps most of the day.

The only possible thing I can think that may be related to Meowbert acting like this is about 3 weeks ago, he got his head stuck in the handle of a plastic shopping bag. The crinkling noise on his back spooked him before I could pull it off and sent him on an absolutely crazed race around the house, knocking things over, shredding up the carpet, slamming head first into the walls and our glass patio door. It was insane, my husband and I couldn't catch him. I seriously thought he was going to kill himself. He finally stopped when he hit our patio window so hard that it dazed him. He was terrified and in hiding for 3 hours afterwards and I called my vet and explained what happened and asked if I should bring him in. She said if his eyes dilate like normal and he starts eating and using the litter box within the next 6 hours, that he's probably fine. And he did, and showed no signs of concussion or internal injury, not even a bump on his head. Till now, but 3 weeks with no symptoms and then this suddenly starts happening? I don't know that it's related.

He has a vet appointment tomorrow for 2 claws he ripped out from the bag incident, but they look fine and they honestly haven't been bothering him at all. I'll be explaining this all to the vet and hoping to get some answers. For now I'm just wondering if anyone else has dealt with Hyperesthesia and if it's permanent or what I can do to help him with it.

Thanks.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi migoto migoto :wave3:, how is your MeowBert doing now?
It sounds like he had a really tough week, last week, and 3 weeks before with that bag scaring him, badly.
Hoping that your Vet was able to help him, and offer you some good answers.

arabellie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've done some research on hyperesthesia as I had a cat who I thought might have it. (He was never diagnosed and the more I read about it, the less I thought he might have it. But he is on fluoxetine for behavioral issues and everything, including the twitching and grooming has been reduced).

It is extremely rare, so your vet might be hesitant to pursue this.

However, it is thought to be a form of seizure disorder so the treatment is medication - either antispasmodic or SSRI. My own cat is on fluoxetine, an SSRI. The condition, whatever it may be, is life-long, as it is a chemical imbalance in the brain. However, the medication does not have to be life-long. Sometimes you are able to wean them off of it slowly after a few months or years and the brain has sort of re-trained itself with the help of the medication.

On the bright side, fluoxetine is relatively cheap, although very bitter so best given in a liquid form or hidden in liver sausage.

I would also highly recommend feliway diffusers if you don't already use them.