Hyperactive 3 Month Old

LightningM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So will this hyperactivity ever stop?! It’s exhausting & I’m wondering if I’m way in over my head…I adopted a female 3 month old kitten from my best friend who’s cat had two kittens. She wanted to keep the other. I took the female. Even though I read up on everything to expect I’m definitely overwhelmed and anxious. I’ve given her plenty of engaging toys. I play with her multiple times a day and sometimes for like an hour it seems and she’s barely tired. Im in the phase of training her not to bite and scratch me. I tell her no and now tap her on the nose and either redirect her to a toy or ignore her. I also started sternly telling her no and using a water bottle when she claws the furniture. I hope I’m using the right method…does it get better? I’m doing these things in the last couple days, and she continues the behavior…granted it’s only been a week haha I’m wondering how long till it sets in?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a second kitten, if it's not too financially stressful. They'll both have enough energy to tire each other out.

Can't speak too much to the issue of biting and scratching. I just played rough with all the kittens I've ever had. The wounds heal.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the easiest remedy for excessive energhy is another kitten. The sibling after all, or another kitten or friendly youngish cat.

A good tip when she plays too rough with you, is to blow air in her face... she will quit immediately.

Most do recommend to not play with hands with a kitten, but I alike with Vince, I did played with mine, but they never become biters as adults. They did bite, either playfully or love bites, but always very gentle... So Im a little divided here. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, another kitten the same age will take the pressure off of you. And yes, kittens are balls of energy until they get a few months older. Try to enjoy it if you can. Also, it takes a few weeks for a kitten to acclimate to its new home. Hang in there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LightningM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Get a second kitten, if it's not too financially stressful. They'll both have enough energy to tire each other out.

Can't speak too much to the issue of biting and scratching. I just played rough with all the kittens I've ever had. The wounds heal.
Something to consider for sure because I’m worried I’m just not up to the constant hyper drive haha it’s taken a toll. Luckily the biting is play biting when she just wants more attention like I guess love nips. I just tell her no and ignore her. A second kitten would not necessarily stop it but certainly keep up with her and tire her out and work on those biting and scratching predatory play aggression.

LightningM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Agree, another kitten the same age will take the pressure off of you. And yes, kittens are balls of energy until they get a few months older. Try to enjoy it if you can. Also, it takes a few weeks for a kitten to acclimate to its new home. Hang in there!
Thanks! I understand I need to be patient. Thanks for the advice!

LightningM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, the easiest remedy for excessive energhy is another kitten. The sibling after all, or another kitten or friendly youngish cat.

A good tip when she plays too rough with you, is to blow air in her face... she will quit immediately.

Most do recommend to not play with hands with a kitten, but I alike with Vince, I did played with mine, but they never become biters as adults. They did bite, either playfully or love bites, but always very gentle... So Im a little divided here. :)
Hmmm good to know. Thank you for the tip! I appreciate it!