Hyper cat - Help!

ilovecatesxoxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I got my cat Faberje when he was 3 months from the rescue shelter i volunteer at and have had him for almost a year now.
After a few days he started getting really hyper and playful and would run up and down the house and bite our hands and bunny kick us. I have gotten used to it but the other day when my mom was over he did it and she got quite a fright and had scratches all up her arms.

But Fabby can be also really sweet and affectionate at times and now I've noticed a pattern of when he is. hyper and when he is calm.

Early in the morning he is really calm but late morning he gets hyper but at that time I usually let him out in the late afternoon he is so calm and lazy until evening when he gets soooo hyper. I've tried ignoring him when he bites but he doesn't take any notice.
Please note that his bite isn't too hard but his claws are really sharp and hurt quite a lot.

Is this behavior normal?
should I play with him more?

Any advice would be appreciated! :catguy::rbheart:

Last edited:

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like normal kitten behavior. But then he's not a kitten anymore. Is he neutered? If not, that may calm him down.

Still, he seems like he's just a playful kitty. Best to say "No!" or make a pain sound like "OW!" when he bites, so he can learn you don't like it. I trim Oliver's nails, so his little bunny kicks don't hurt so bad anymore. 

To answer your question, he could possibly benefit from more play, or other stimulation such as a cat tree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovecatesxoxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if it's just normal kitten behavior but as you said he's not a kitten anymore haha :-D Yes he's neutered. thank you Im going to pop down to the pet shop and have a look around for some kitty toys.
He likes playing with bottle caps is that safe? I wasn't sure if I should take them off him or not!:blobgreen :rbheart:

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how safe bottle caps are. I surely wouldn't let him play with them unsupervised. Does he currently have any toys? Some cats like balled up aluminum foil, toilet paper rolls, or just a ball of wadded up paper. Oliver will bat it around and then rip it apart. For commercial toys, I'm sure all cats are different, but mine really enjoys the mice toys that look realistic and squeak. Though the squeak usually doesn't last long, at least on the cheapy ones I buy. And then fishing pole style is good, especially if his bunny kicks and bites hurt. 

But apparently cat trees are the absolute best for really energetic cats. I'm saving up for one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovecatesxoxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought him lots of those little mouse toys but he always shows no interest. His absolute favorite toy is a block of baby lego he stole from my 18 month old son. Its one of those really big fat ones. I think he likes the sound it makes on the wooden floor.

I saw an amazing cat tree in the pet shop but my husband said he could build his very own one haha but actually it looks pretty good so far ;-) :catguy:

manemelissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is about 2 years old, and she gets spurts of kitten-like hyperness in the morning when we wake up, in the late morning, and again in the night.  We have a huge cat tree that she LOVES.  It's kinda nerve-wracking watching her zip up and down that thing though!  I would recommend hanging around the tree when your cat goes all hyper on it in the beginning, until Belle learned how to navigate ours there were times she almost tossed herself right off of it.

Our last cat showed no interest in many of the toys we bought her.  She would find things around the house to play with, and so I would go out into the store and look for cat toys that were kinda like the thing she played with at home.  For example, she really liked pencils and pens, so I bought a "whirlygig" toy that was like a plastic stick with a ball in the middle to help it spin when smacked.  She liked that because it was shaped like a pen and rolled like one too.

Also, have you tried a laser pen?  Belle goes CRAZY with ours, it's her favorite toy and it wears her out when she gets the "cat crazies"!