Hyper active cat!

tinysalmon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have had my cat for two weeks now. She is about one and a half years old. For the first couple of days she was just adjusting and quiet. But lately I have noticed she gets really hyper and starts running around really fast from one room to the next, and back and forth! Sometimes part of her hits the bed or door because she is running so fast and then jumps on the bed and window.

She isn't always like this, obviously, she is usually quiet and sleeping in one corner of the room or window sill. But when she gets hyper like this, it's like hearing stomping and her claws scratch against the wooden floor. I get confused and a little worried, being a first time cat owner!

So, my question is, is this normal? What may be causing this hyper activeness? Might it be from too many treats or too much attention? Is she seeing things or playing hide-and-go-seek?

I've been on summer vacation and school starts soon, so I've been giving her quite a lot of attention and hanging out in the same room as her. Should I just leave her alone for a while? Since it's only been two weeks, I'm still trying to figure her out.

Thanks.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wesley and Buttercup are both super hyper around 8ish in the evening and 5 in the morning. You can tell when they're about to go wild as they'll do their confrontation stances, or one will make a really wide stance with the front paws crouching down a bit with head up and eyes humongous and then scurry off super fast with the other in pursuit.

IMO, its perfectly natural and shows that they are healthy with plenty of energy to burn, and its good for em too IMO since there is always concern that indoor cats may not get enough exercise.

Because of the layout of my house, these two can get AMAZING top speed if they start in the front workout room and go full sprint to the master bedroom which is nearly a straight shot. When "intercepted" by a sibling mid-sprint, they are also able to get an amazing amount of air!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TinySalmon

Hi, I have had my cat for two weeks now. She is about one and a half years old. For the first couple of days she was just adjusting and quiet. But lately I have noticed she gets really hyper and starts running around really fast from one room to the next, and back and forth! Sometimes part of her hits the bed or door because she is running so fast and then jumps on the bed and window.

She isn't always like this, obviously, she is usually quiet and sleeping in one corner of the room or window sill. But when she gets hyper like this, it's like hearing stomping and her claws scratch against the wooden floor. I get confused and a little worried, being a first time cat owner!

So, my question is, is this normal? What may be causing this hyper activeness? Might it be from too many treats or too much attention? Is she seeing things or playing hide-and-go-seek?

I've been on summer vacation and school starts soon, so I've been giving her quite a lot of attention and hanging out in the same room as her. Should I just leave her alone for a while? Since it's only been two weeks, I'm still trying to figure her out.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by Ducman69

IMO, its perfectly natural and shows that they are healthy with plenty of energy to burn, and its good for em too IMO since there is always concern that indoor cats may not get enough exercise. ....
I agree with Ducman69 and would like to add my indoor/out cats do not exhibit that behavior. The indoor DLH does however. The Savannah is well in a class all his own. But my DLH does that running from room to room thing many times a day
. Even though she is fairly healthy for her, she has many medical issues. She is still functioning however

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinysalmon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

IMO, its perfectly natural and shows that they are healthy with plenty of energy to burn, and its good for em too IMO since there is always concern that indoor cats may not get enough exercise.
Thanks, that makes sense! I guess it is a good thing. It was just a little scary at first.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It seems like almost all cats get what has been called the "10 o'clock crazies," which is a spate of high activity in the evening/early night. In nature, that's when they'd be most active.

Dashing around like a silly is a common indoor activity.

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cynder does the same thing at about 9 -10:30 everynight and at 5 am every morning.. It makes me laugh at how he takes off at mach speed and does laps around the apartment and all the while making funny little chirping sounds.
I call it spastoclock time in our house..

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, Cynder trills, too? Our Flambe does that all the time. He can't figure out why he can't sneak up on any of the other cats.

milu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before we got Lulu, Minka did this too every morning after breakfast and bathroom duties. We called it the 'maddies'.

Now that we have Lulu it got even crazier with both of them chasing each other through the house, rolling, tumbling, jumping...it's pure pandemonium for about an hour or two.

Btw, my favorite part is the sound their paws make on the hardwood floor when they run around a corner or brake

kat013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've heard it called "elevensies", as sometimes it happens right before or after the people go to bed at night.

You think it's fun to watch? Try interacting with your cat when she's doing this! Hide behind corners and scratch your fingernails on the wall or something that sounds like mice skittering, jump out at her; chase her, then turn around and run to another part of the house, then chase her again when she catches you.

Try also putting out cardboard boxes and/or paper sacks; my cats love these and will run into / out of / around the containers.

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so thats whai it is called "trills" yup cynder makes all those weird sounds,my other cat brandy who lives with my parents and is 15 (decided not to upset her life so she lives with my parents) still does the same thing too. I expect it from her as she is oselet and siamese,but from cynder it was a complete surprise. It makes me laugh so much when they run around acting spastic and attacking everything they THINK moves
and my favorite part is the galloping he does around this place.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Punkin used to play "tag" with us when he was in that mode. Ran around the back of the couch and chairs and waited for us to come by, then would jump out and "mug" us.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Monet used to be like that.. then that's my cue to chase him and play Hide-N-Seek. He loves it! Now that I got Picasso, most of his energy is dispensed throughout the day.. the two cats rarely spazzes like that anymore