Hygiene?

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Certainly got a reaction!

I agree that we are too germophobic! I grew up on a farm where we pulled carrots and turnips right out of the ground, wiped them on our pants and ate them, we tended to the farm animals and probably didn't wash our hands terribly well before eating. Now bear in mind that dad had spread cow manure all over this area before he planted these vegetables.

As a kid, none of us were sick (except for measles and mumps), none of us had ear infections, none of us had allergies, and I could go on. Our bodies were ALLOWED to build up immunities to bacteria and germs. Our kids nowadays are not allowed to do that because parents are TOO worried about germs. You are right about the chemicals - just spray more chemicals into the air and let them breathe that - it's better! YEAH, RIGHT!
Thank you very much, you took the words out of my mouth. My mother used to live on a farm as well. She would even drink milk that was never pasteurized
I used to have a garden too. I would never use pesticides and would pick vegetables and eat them without washing them. To me, it is one thing to be clean, but to use all these "germ killers' does more harm than good.

cessena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's all propaganda. If you tell people X will make you sick and talk about all the yucky germs it scares them. Its fear of getting sick and not actual knowledge of anything that causes people to completely disinfect their homes. The media and society has instilled this irrational "fear" in us. And people who are fearful will frequently drasticly overestimate risk factors for certain things.

Oh and I think Chlorine is a carcinogen, in addition to being a poisonous gas.....I could be wrong though.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

Well, I was told in PM that he isn't an animal lover and that I was "rude" to him. What, me rude after he insults us cat lovers???
I myself posted in another thread that had been moved into IMO if he was sure he was an animal lover?!.

You've answered my question!!

Insult my cats you insult me!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

Thank you very much, you took the words out of my mouth. My mother used to live on a farm as well. She would even drink milk that was never pasteurized
I used to have a garden too. I would never use pesticides and would pick vegetables and eat them without washing them. To me, it is one thing to be clean, but to use all these "germ killers' does more harm than good.
Oh heavens I forgot about the milk. We had a separator to get cream to make the butter and drank RAW milk. We used to actually aim the cow teat at the cat's mouth and she would catch the stream of milk.

We were healthy little kids and healthy adults. My dad honestly never saw a doctor in his life and died due to a fall. I was born at home with only the help of my dad's sister. No masks, sterile instruments - wonder I survived eh?