Hydrolyzed protein cat treat alternative to Royal Canin and Hill's

linzy383

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Finnegan is 13 1/2 and has been on Royal Canin Ultamino cat food for the last three years. He gets pancreatitis and it seems like hydrolyzed protein is the only thing that keeps him healthy. Royal Canin's Hydrolyzed Protein Feline treats and Hill's Hypo treats have been out of stock for almost a year and we are down to our two last bags. Does anyone know of anything similar? Or have something that's been working for their kitty with these being out of stock? As far as I know they are the only two options.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I don't know but was wondering if freeze dried treats would work at all, depending on what the minimal ingredients are? Orijen has some treats that don't have many ingredients other than the main protein.

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I don't know but was wondering if freeze dried treats would work at all, depending on what the minimal ingredients are? Orijen has some treats that don't have many ingredients other than the main protein.
It sounds like it's the protein that's the problem. Hydrolyzed protein is protein that has been broken down into amino acids which prevents any issues from allergies to the proteins. Sounds like this cat cannot have any whole proteins.

opener_of_cans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Finnegan is 13 1/2 and has been on Royal Canin Ultamino cat food for the last three years. He gets pancreatitis and it seems like hydrolyzed protein is the only thing that keeps him healthy. Royal Canin's Hydrolyzed Protein Feline treats and Hill's Hypo treats have been out of stock for almost a year and we are down to our two last bags. Does anyone know of anything similar? Or have something that's been working for their kitty with these being out of stock? As far as I know they are the only two options.

I literally just registered to see if you had found any that your cat likes! I've been on the "notify me when this comes back in stock" lists for ages.

Our cat, Leona, can get away with eating Royal Canin's Hydrolyzed Protein (way less broken down proteins than Ultamino), so I wonder if your cat is a more severe case. Currently we use either a few pieces of her kibble or a no-meat treat. The kibble works fine, but I would love to provide some variety. The no meat one we use is the "Vet's best Cat Hairball Relief Digestive Aid." My parents used them (with good results) for hairball control for their cats so I gave them a try. Although their cats love them, mine doesn't seem to find them very exciting which kind of defeats the point of a treat. As much as it pains me, I have found more options looking for "vegan treats" than specifically "hydrolyzed protein" one, but I haven't bought many because they don't make finding a comprehensive ingredient list easy.

I have made simple baked dog treats with just peanut butter, banana, and oat flour, so I have thought of doing a bit of expiramenting on that, like maybe substituting banana with peas or chickpeas for a longer shelf life and less sugar. Haven't quite gotten to that point yet though.

Anyway, I would love to hear any sucesses or failures you have had!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I literally just registered to see if you had found any that your cat likes! I've been on the "notify me when this comes back in stock" lists for ages.

Our cat, Leona, can get away with eating Royal Canin's Hydrolyzed Protein (way less broken down proteins than Ultamino), so I wonder if your cat is a more severe case. Currently we use either a few pieces of her kibble or a no-meat treat. The kibble works fine, but I would love to provide some variety. The no meat one we use is the "Vet's best Cat Hairball Relief Digestive Aid." My parents used them (with good results) for hairball control for their cats so I gave them a try. Although their cats love them, mine doesn't seem to find them very exciting which kind of defeats the point of a treat. As much as it pains me, I have found more options looking for "vegan treats" than specifically "hydrolyzed protein" one, but I haven't bought many because they don't make finding a comprehensive ingredient list easy.

I have made simple baked dog treats with just peanut butter, banana, and oat flour, so I have thought of doing a bit of expiramenting on that, like maybe substituting banana with peas or chickpeas for a longer shelf life and less sugar. Haven't quite gotten to that point yet though.

Anyway, I would love to hear any sucesses or failures you have had!
Hi!
Could you ask your vet if there's a formula or brand that offers wet food that's hydrolyzed? I'm not sure if your cat likes wet food or not, but if they do, a little spoonful of that once a day as a topper or treat might be well received. :)

opener_of_cans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Could you ask your vet if there's a formula or brand that offers wet food that's hydrolyzed? I'm not sure if your cat likes wet food or not, but if they do, a little spoonful of that once a day as a topper or treat might be well received. :)
Oh it would be well recieved! I worry that if it associated with meal time at all that she will throw tantrums to let us know that it needs to happen every meal. Yeah, she's that cat.

Additionally, wet food doesn't really work with how we tend to use treats. We tend to go for dry bite sized treats as a quick reward/training tool/bribery. It's hard to reward a spontaneously offered behavior if the treat isn't something quick and easy.

I'm currently waiting for a bag of vegan dog treats that are "training bites" sized to arrive, so I still have hope! Thank you for the suggestion though. I will keep it in mind for special occasions. So long as we use a different time, location, and bowl than her meals the protests should be manageable.... 😅

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh it would be well recieved! I worry that if it associated with meal time at all that she will throw tantrums to let us know that it needs to happen every meal. Yeah, she's that cat.

Additionally, wet food doesn't really work with how we tend to use treats. We tend to go for dry bite sized treats as a quick reward/training tool/bribery. It's hard to reward a spontaneously offered behavior if the treat isn't something quick and easy.

I'm currently waiting for a bag of vegan dog treats that are "training bites" sized to arrive, so I still have hope! Thank you for the suggestion though. I will keep it in mind for special occasions. So long as we use a different time, location, and bowl than her meals the protests should be manageable.... 😅
Completely understood! I prefer treats I can carry around in my pocket as well, so I see your point. :)
Let us know how the new ones go!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps their hydrolyzed protein dog treats are in stock?
Not sure where you're located but on the off-chance youre in Canada myvetstore.ca has some in stock.

opener_of_cans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update!

last week I suddenly got a notification that hydrolyzed protien cat treats we finally back in stock! IDK why now after all this time, but those are probably the safest choice.

That said, we got adopted by a new cat 2 weeks ago and have had tons of occasions to reinforce good behavior with treats - the vegan treats don't seem to cause any problems! :party3: The ones we are using are from a brand called "Bright Pet Planet." They have a strong Smoky BBQ scent to them, so all of our pets are interested when we open the bag. Not a problem for us, but it could be a hassle. They are cheaper and easier to get than precription treats, so we will continue to use them for our sensitive-tummy girl!

marz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that gets bladder inflammation and even the Royal Canin treats upset her so I have started dried fish treats.
There are freeze dried minnows, ahi tuna, all just dried fish with no other ingredients. I also use the Get Naked cranberry treats. They are good for urinary issues in the way they don't seem to inflame her bladder.