Hydrolysed Cat Food In Uk

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone feed their cat hydrolysed food. My cat is having bouts of diarrhoea and is undergoing tests but the vet has recommended that he might benefit from a hydrolysed diet but I understand they are not very palatable. I am looking for both wet and dry. Thanks in advance.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm familiar with Royal Canin HP for both dogs and cats, but the results have been very mixed. Mowgli was getting RC HP at the shelter before we adopted him (he has IBD and is allergic to chicken, lamb and grains) and it didn't help in the least. He does well on grain-free, novel protein canned food, but the brand (Vet-Concept) is only sold in German-speaking countries.

Three shelter cats and three shelter dogs have meanwhile been on the RC HP diet. It's helped two cats and one dog. The others were switched to Happy Cat or Happy Dog Sensitive Grain Free dry before adoption (available at zooplus).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you jcat jcat . When I asked my vet this morning to test for allergies he told me it couldnt be done. Do you know how Mowgli was tested?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mowgli (and a number of shelter pets) had blood tests. They showed he had a poultry allergy. The other allergies were determined through an elimination diet.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you. Its strange why my vet said it could only be done by elimination. A long journey ahead I fear.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks mightyboosh mightyboosh . I have had him on that but had to stop this week. It made the diarrhoea much worse and he hated it, he would starve himself and then eat out of desperation. The vet seems to think that if the tests and there are going to be quite a few, come back negative then its hydrolysed food. If he wont eat id then there's not much chance of him eating zd.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks mightyboosh mightyboosh . I have had him on that but had to stop this week. It made the diarrhoea much worse and he hated it, he would starve himself and then eat out of desperation. The vet seems to think that if the tests and there are going to be quite a few, come back negative then its hydrolysed food. If he wont eat id then there's not much chance of him eating zd.
Oh, that's a shame. Sorry I couldn't help and good look with a solution.