Hybrid Cats - lots of reasons to rethink

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@awaitingabyss, I'd like to see a picture or two of Soren. It's my understanding that bobcats imparticular, can't be bred to domestic cats. I may be wrong though.

On another note, I'm very surprised this thread hasn't been shut down yet. This is a pro breeder site and usually any personal opinions against breeding are met with warnings and deleted posts. I have no problem with responsible breeding of cats. In a perfect world all cats would come from breeders, who would alter the pets prior to sale. This would solve the issue of shelter pets almost totally. Millions of animals are put to death each year not because of responsible breeders, but due to irresponsible owners who fail to spay and neuter their animals. But I digress...

I'm somewhat indifferent on the "hybrid" issue. If the breeder is responsible and making sure new parents understand the challenges sometimes associated with hybrids, I have no issue. What I do have issue with is the unscrupulous "backyard breeders" who are breeding these cats. They are the ones "marketing" these cats to the masses. There are several cat lovers on this board who own high percentage hybrids, and others with lower percentage cats. Regardless, they love their animals, and to each their own.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry if this thread has provoked angst - the intention was to look merely at health and wellness of cats, of which I'm sure we are all supporting.
 ???? No claim has been made that the Bengal exemplifies all hybrid cats. The author of the article does however present her claims as exemplifying all hybrids. Claims which are arguably false. That is all my post was addressing. 
Denice's post focussed on Bengals.  As I explained, I believe the article to hold truths for first gen hybrids at the very least, so was suggesting we not throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak by dismissing all of the article due to seeing bias, or due to focussing on only one type or gen of hybrid.  I certainly accept your point - and I did find it interesting to hear from other informed people on this subject.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
and do not try to address the issue yourself (trust me, it only complicates things for everyone involved). 
And as a general reminder to everyone - I always welcome feedback, positive or negative, via PM's or emails, so if you have any,

please don't post it here but send me a note. Thank you! 

awaiting abyss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@awaitingabyss, I'd like to see a picture or two of Soren. It's my understanding that bobcats imparticular, can't be bred to domestic cats. I may be wrong though.
Soren has a cat page if you'd like to view it. It has many pictures of him, though none are pictures of him now. He now has puffy cheek fur like a bobcat. I just haven't had time lately to take more photos..

There are many breeders who actually breed their own bobcat to domestics. The breeder that Soren came from got a half-bobcat kitten from one of these breeders and bred it to a manx. So Soren is 25% bobcat, 25% Maine Coon and 50% Manx.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Soren has a cat page if you'd like to view it. It has many pictures of him, though none are pictures of him now. He now has puffy cheek fur like a bobcat. I just haven't had time lately to take more photos..

There are many breeders who actually breed their own bobcat to domestics. The breeder that Soren came from got a half-bobcat kitten from one of these breeders and bred it to a manx. So Soren is 25% bobcat, 25% Maine Coon and 50% Manx.
I checked out Soren's page. He's a very beautiful kitten. I'm curious why you haven't yet had him neutered? It's usually good to spay a male kitten before puberty in order to stop spraying issues, and stop unwanted pregnancy of course.

That being said, I went online to look for some "Bobcat Hybrids" as I thought I'd read that this was impossible. I did find a very informative article regarding the subject that was written by a Savannah Breeder. Here's the link. The article also links to more detailed research from the website "messybeast.com". 

http://f1savannahcats.com/bobcat-hybrid/

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember AmbertheBobcat had bobcats as pets.  He also had a cougar, but last time he posted it was about his cougar's passing.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember AmbertheBobcat had bobcats as pets.  He also had a cougar, but last time he posted it was about his cougar's passing.
A good friend of mine had a pet cougar in an apartment with four of his friends maybe 10 years ago. He and some of his fraternity brothers had found an injured cougar cub in rural Texas. I guess it's mother abandoned it, or was killed.

It was apparently pretty vicious when it got older, and had to be kept in a cage. Luckily animal control got wind of it and took it to a wildlife preserve. It was too tame to be set free again, apparently. I can't imagine Having a pet cougar if I had a habitat for it to live in, must less having one in apartment. You'd have to know this person to understand. He's a few bricks shy of a load.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He had an outside habitat for him.  He stayed inside with them when he was little for socialization.   His name was Carmello,

awaiting abyss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I checked out Soren's page. He's a very beautiful kitten. I'm curious why you haven't yet had him neutered? It's usually good to spay a male kitten before puberty in order to stop spraying issues, and stop unwanted pregnancy of course.

That being said, I went online to look for some "Bobcat Hybrids" as I thought I'd read that this was impossible. I did find a very informative article regarding the subject that was written by a Savannah Breeder. Here's the link. The article also links to more detailed research from the website "messybeast.com". 

http://f1savannahcats.com/bobcat-hybrid/
I haven't had the money to get him neutered, and there hasn't been any free neuters that I could get accepted for.

He's an indoor only cat. There won't be any unwanted pregnancy.

ayeshajae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you put asides small amount of money each week for the surgery? That's how I got my kitties to the vet

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had the money to get him neutered, and there hasn't been any free neuters that I could get accepted for.

He's an indoor only cat. There won't be any unwanted pregnancy.
Pregnancy aside, you don't want him spraying. It will get much smellier as he matures. Cats are also likely to keep spraying the same places, once they are neutered.

Do you live in the US? In my city there are several low cost options for neutering animals. If one turns you down just try another. Is there a local ASPCA in your area?