Hurricane Irma And My Guys

carbo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm in south Florida and we have hurricane Irma bearing down on us. I'm a veteran of these things and usually have a laid back attitude. . .but this one is imposing and intimidating. That said, one of my concerns is my two cats. Our plan is to hunker down, and I want to help the cats through this with a mild sedative to keep them calm. But, like most offices here everything is already closed down due to the storm. My vet is closed; another one I tried that is open refused to give me any meds without a complete exam for both cats. Can't do. Any alternatives/advice I can use to help my guys?
Thank you.

Cinnabun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm in south Florida and we have hurricane Irma bearing down on us. I'm a veteran of these things and usually have a laid back attitude. . .but this one is imposing and intimidating. That said, one of my concerns is my two cats. Our plan is to hunker down, and I want to help the cats through this with a mild sedative to keep them calm. But, like most offices here everything is already closed down due to the storm. My vet is closed; another one I tried that is open refused to give me any meds without a complete exam for both cats. Can't do. Any alternatives/advice I can use to help my guys?
Thank you.
Wow! My heart goes out to you Carbo. I hope you're at least not too close to the coast or near any area prone to flooding because that would definitely complicate the situation for both you and the cats.

I hope you were able to stock up on canned pet food. This is one of those times the homemade raw food shouldn't be first preference.

I don't have personal advice to offer, but this was posted by the Miami Herald.
And this was posted by FEMA.

The day before the storm to prepare may not give you enough time to do all of these things, but hopefully there are some doable options here for you.

Best of luck!

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could try to find Feliway, or Rescue Remedy.

Last edited by a moderator:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get to a petstore? If you can, pick up some calming treats.. or a couple cans of Felliway spray.. or even catnip? I know it is a madhouse all over Florida...`

I think I read that Chamomile tea may be good for cats, but I will ask someone about that..
@Mamanyt1953 do you know?

Barring that, I would try to make an indoor comfy shelter for them, or confine them to the bathroom with a nice soft quilt tent. and their carriers.. I do not know what else to tell you...Play a radio with classical music, if you can.. and leave a nightlight on.. again, if you can..

Wishing you all the best of luck.. praying for you guys....

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would probably keep them in the calmest room possible that is out of reach of danger. Do you have a room with no windows? Even perhaps a large closet? The less they hear or see of it is probably the better. Unfortunately animals are pretty keen to atmosphere pressure changes, so they will definitely know something is way off. Also, perhaps keep a box or a kitty house for them to go hide in within that room so they feel "safer".